Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Slices of Pizza

I like my pizza sliced in triangles. I consider this the proper way to slice a pizza. But about 15 years ago when I moved to Columbus from Mentor (Cleveland area), I noticed that a popular pizza establishment called Donatos was cutting their pizzas in squares or rectangles.

At first I thought it was just their unique deal but other establishments were doing the same thing. It got to the point where I couldn't find a regular sliced pizza pie anywhere!!!

I dealt with the situation but soon grew weary of the crustless pizzas and the constant grabbing for another tiny piece. I sought out pizza joints with the properly sliced zas.

During my visits back home I knew I could get the traditionally sliced pies and began to wonder. Is it a Columbus, Ohio thing to have so many four sided slices of pizzas? Or is it a development whose timing just coincided with my move to Cbus?

Let me know...how are most of the pizza joints slicing pizzas where you reside? If quadrilaterally, how long has this been going on? What do you prefer and why?

4 comments:

comoprozac said...

It's split, so-to-speak, about 50-50. However, the most popular joints serve slices.

Unknown said...

Huey John,

I'm a fan of the triangles also. I haven't run into too many joints that do the squares or rectangles like the Donatos that you mentioned. I actually don't like the squares or triangles because it is so easy to inhale like the whole freakin thing! Maybe it is a C-bus thing. Honestly though, in so many ways, pizza is still pizza.
I think it's a marketing thing. Pizza has come in triangles for so long that joints are looking for a new, unique way to present their product. It's probably easier for kids to eat it like that too. The only place I really get pizza from is Angelo's in Lakewood. As long as they do it right (triangles), them every place else can do it whatever way they want.

Huey said...

Angelo's!!!!! Love that place! My wife, Huey Vicki introduced me to them when I'd go visit here before we married. Oh, yeah, good stuff!

Anonymous said...

From my experience working at Donatos, it always seemed easier to cut the rectangles then when someone special requested it pie cut. For the pie cut you had to get out a special template. So, maybe it was an efficiency thing. Possibly Donatos or some other earlier originator discovered this, but due to people's love for tradition and doing things the same way, this added efficiency never caught on at all places. Or who knows, maybe I just was'nt good at pie cutting a pizza.