Monday, February 25, 2008

And FINALLY........

I can't go much longer without sharing my opinion of the Cavs' big, 11 player deal just before the trading deadline last week. The trade sent Drew Gooden, Larry Hughes, Ira Newble, Cedric Simmons, Donyell Marshall and Shannon Brown to various teams and received back Ben Wallace, Joe Smith, Wally Szczerbiak and Delonte West (and a 2nd round draft pick).

First, the only significant losses for the Cavs were Gooden and Hughes. The others played only when rashed of injuries inflicted the team if at all. Both Hughes and Gooden were painfully inconsistent. On fire one night and cold as ice the next. But, as you have read in previous posts, I felt as though these players were enough to carry us beyond the expectations of every national talking head. Therefore, I will remain consistent in my statements and acknowledge their loss.

With that said, I feel that consistency is better than inconsistency even the the averages state otherwise (thank you Doug). For instance, if you have a guy who consistently scores 10-12 points a night you can game plan around these points feeling secure you are going to get them. But if you have a guy that will score 26 points one night and 2 the next night and have no idea how much is coming any particular game, you can't plan for it. Even though he may average more than 10-12, you can't count on it. You will lose 50% of the time...theoretically. Again, this comes from my intelligent bro.

So, Joe Smith alone offsets the loss of Gooden. And he brings better defense and a gritty attitude to the floor. Ben Wallace only adds to the defensive gain inside. Although he did not pan out in Chicago (a bold prediction you would have heard here first if I blogged back then), his style will fit much better in Cleveland where his only offensive responsibility is to rebound and dunk. He will be much closer to the Detroit Ben than the Chitown Ben. Wally and West bring two guards that can score. They may not drop 40 like Hughes finally did the other week, but they won't be out of their element shooting the ball and stretching out the defense to the perimeter. Wally is big and West is a point guard. A better point guard than what we have had in recent memory anyway...offensively anyway. Say what you want about Snow and trust me I will, but that dude and D up. No jump shot at all. But gritty defense.

I am eager to see how things develop. I am glad they pulled out a win against Washington with 8 guys. I am glad they played Memphis at home as a warm up with the new lineup. And it is looking like a blessing in disguise that we have the injuries to Sasha, Boobie and Andy because these new guys can come in and get into the flow and learn the playbook so to speak without breaking thinkgs up too much.

All in all, this team is 11 deep now. James, Z, Wallace, Smith, Andy, Wally, West, Sasha, Boobie, Brown, Jones. ELEVEN!!!!! Think of the rest LeBron and Z can get now. Think of the defensive stops this team can get. Think of the multiple options on offense when LeBron drives and dishes?

I like the trade.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

OOOOoooooooooo Huey John,
you know I can get down on this blog. I was impressed with the Memphis game. I don't care what anyone says. How easy would it have been to have a close game or maybe even lose and blame it on the first game with everyone? No it was fun we shot over 50% from the field. Joe Smith more than adequately replaces Gooden in all aspects of the game. Hughes and Newble had good D but it looked like Wally and Delonte were pretty good on D. Delonte can dish the ball too. Once again, its about keeping Lebron happy. I agree completely about your consistency comments on both the players gone and players received. In order though to be at that championship level, you gotta have that chemistry. They must form some chemistry. Seriously though, the movement by all players on the offensive end, whether they had the ball or not, was awesome. Even big Ben was moving and trying to create offense. Man, I'm really trying to be objectionable about everything and not get to excited but this trade looks incredible for us. I feel every jumper that Smith and Wally take is going in. Delonte has to be better than 1-5 from 3pt and 2-12 overall and I think he will. It is so refreshing to see some new faces and everything. These guys coming in want this playoff and championship sooooo bad. It felt like the team (especially Hughes and Gooden) before the trade was going through the motions all season expecting Lebron to carry them. These new players coming in and the rest of the team are now saying "let's come together, work for a championship, do what we do and make LeBron better rather than relying on him to make us better." So even if it was a trade to make a trade and you say we traded the same level of skill and talent that we received, well the mindset and attitude is different. I love sports and I am a superb athlete (if I might stroke my ego for a moment) and whether I'm in the weight room, on the softball or football field or running 10k's or half-marathons, Ive truly come to believe it is 85% mental. That includes confidence, preperation, positive-frame of mind and completely shutting out all negativity. Cavs freaking rock. Lebron is the chosen one. Let's make it happen this year. I'm getting pretty good at typing LOL. GO CAVS!!!!!!!

Huey said...

Agreed Nathan iv. I wish I didn't have so many typos in that post...seems as though you got my points though. YOu hit on chemistry which is one thing I didn't put in. I had so much more to write about it but didn't want to bore everyone to death. But one of the additions was exactly what you said regarding the need for chemistry which I think will happen. Again, I'm glad we have those injuries now because it allows time for the new guys to gel and then we can bring in the others. I also agree that the hunger in these four will be high. For the most part, they are coming from teams that stunk or didn't truly have a shot. I mean anybody does I the East so Chicago technically may have been in the hunt but please. In the words of Ozzie Guillen, "pssssst please!" They all can see the trophy now and like you said, they all are ready to go get it with LeBron, not just ride along. We now have an answer for Garnett, Wallace, Duncan, Shaq, Gasol whoever! I liked seeing Wallace and Z play at the same time and not look like two motionless trees. They seemed to flow well off each other. And time will make that better. As an athlete you would know how repetition only makes you better and quicker. there is still more I want to say but once agian, I must go to work.

comoprozac said...

I must have been on another planet when this deal took place. I haven't paid any attention...of course, I wasn't expecting the Cavs to ever make a deal for anything. What do I know?

This is the type of deal champions make. Cleveland is certainly better than the Pistons now and aren't far off the Celtics. Of course, I believe the Celtics will run out of gas and will be exposed in the playoffs, but we'll see.

All in all, it was a good trade.

Unknown said...

Work? Pssst PLEASE! LOL - Jim Rome loves that little blurp from Guillen.

Huey said...

Nathan iv you rock! I was hoping someone would recognize the Romie reference. Excellent. Yeah, he loves that sound bite. Almost as much as "The course looks good. My swing feels good. I like my chances."

Or the Micheal Jackson "Intruder Alert." Oh I could go on forever with the hilarious regergitated sound bites he does.