Thursday, February 28, 2008

An Apology From a Rowdy Fan

Recently I have heard several references to tasteless fan behavior at sporting events. Coincidentally I blogged about this very topic as well. When I read "The Celestine Prophecy" by James Redfield, he wrote about how coincidences have meaning. I am a firm believer in this. They are related to a higher power depending on your chosen faith or belief system. So I feel like these coincidences are a sign that I owe many people an apology for my foul behavior in the past. Most people want to talk about other people's behavior, but I am going to avoid that and hold myself accountable.

I have made an effort to clean things up over the past few years. I have also grown up since many of the events of which I am ashamed. Honestly, alcohol is the main fuel to most people's inappropriate behavior including my own. It would make sense then that my improvement in this area coincides with my significant decrease in drinking, both with frequency and amount.

Unfortunately, my rage is also pure. Long before I thought about tasting a beer let alone consuming one, I was overreacting to games. I remember getting livid because the AFC lost the Pro Bowl. I would be in a bad mood over preseason Browns' games. So I can't blame this all on tailgating and drinking too much.

I will not apologize for yelling, standing or any of that. I will apologize for throwing that empty popcorn box at the Michigan fan in Ohio Stadium. And starting mosh pits after touchdowns with my friends in the stands...although that was alot of fun! Anytime I dropped the F bomb... I am sorry. My friends who have felt uncomfortable by my immaturity...I apologize.

I'd like to think the people who know me best know where I am coming from. I hope and trust they know my passionate personality. I also would like to think that more often than not I am under control. I also would like to think I have treated fans of the other team decently even if I did jab with them from time to time. For crying out loud my buddy and I defended a Bengals fan leaving the stadium after we lost one time. That is noble isn't it? I hope I have kept it clean enough and always related to the team and the play on the field and not anybody personally. But in case I have not......I am sorry.

Since I know I will probably do something regretable in the future....I apologze ahead of time. Just understand I won't compromise my right to yell, talk innocent trash, stand, clap, cheer, boo the other team or bad calls and slam my hat in the ground. I mean the hat throw is my signature move!! I will try to refrain from insults, or profanity laced tirades though.

Go Cleveland!!!!!!

Go Bucks!

No comments: