Thursday, February 7, 2008

A little football will cure your ills.....

I got a good thing going at recess. Let me first acknowledge my colleague Chad who has contributed. But this goes back to the days before our duties overlapped.

During my recess duty I prefer playing around with the kids than standing there putting out fire after fire. I figured if I can keep their minds off of messing with each other, they wouldn't. To my surprise, they bought in easily. At first, kicking a red rubber ball high into the air and letting them run for it to catch it was the game of choice. I couldn't believe how many kids were excited to do this. No winners. No prizes. Nothing but chasing a ball in the air. Soon we all figured out how to score it and came up with rules and standards. But it was all so simple.

Then.......a student brought in a nerf football and it was on. Now we had a TON of kids joining in. Seriously, each team went like 15 deep. I was all time QB drawing on my days with my brother and the neighborhood kids (just like I did making up the rules as we went along with the ball kicking game). I was finally able to implement the plays my bro and I came up with from P1 to P2 in the bushes without the bushes.

Football attracted a different crowd. The crowd I originally wanted to attract. The rough kids. The ones I was tired of dealing with during recess with the trouble they kept getting in. Mixing a physical sport with rough kids was tricky at first. Lots of inappropriate language, quick tempers and insults were about to ruin the whole thing. Lucky for me, most of the kids wanted to play though. Kicking them out of the game meant something. Not passing them the ball even when they were as open as a prarie in Kansas also hit home. Letting them know their behavior "ain't gonna get you any action on this field" sent a message.

Soon, Chad joins in and we have a tangible arena for our competitive banter our students love so much. Now, even more kids join in wanting to "beat Mr. Baddeley" or "beat Mr. Huey." But the precedent is set. Keep your negative crap out. Pick up a player on the ground. Don't complain about not getting the ball. Cheer for your team. Come back the next day if you didn't like losing that day. And our football games are a well oiled machine. We even play on the blacktop when the grass is too wet.

The kids block for each other when they don't get the ball. They don't intentionally push anyone. They quit talking trash (unless to me or Mr. B). They plan plays to help each other out. They apologize when they inadvertantly knock someone over. They don't whine about calls more than 2 seconds. And when some newcomer, too afraid to join, stands off to the side yelling that people suck or a play sucks, they all ignore it.

After a blog about "all the bad stuff" I felt I'd write about the great feeling in my belly as I watched a former reading student of mine who just couldn't let things go in the classroom. He was extremely negative and inappropriate. He had anger management issues. To watch him playing football with such postive sportsmanship, and leadership is so refreshing. If he could only transfer that to the classroom. He is a bright kid. He needs an attitude adjustment. Like adjusting it to how he, himself behaves on the football field.



BTW- after watching this video I now know why those SNL guys were watching me an Chad that one time. They were taking notes for Peyton! He's a freakin' copycat! The portopotty part? All me. Pegging the kid in the back? An everyday throw for Chad. Man, we missed our payday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kinda funny that I just commented on Troy Smith. Doesn't this story sound familiar? 2 words : Glenville Tarblooders.

Huey said...

That's a good point! Ted Ginn Sr is a pro at this sorta stuff. And with the QB situation in Baltimore, Troy may be playing a good bit more next year.

comoprozac said...

Either way, Troy Smith made it out and makes a lot of money.

I've always been a firm believer of playing with kids. It keeps them busy with positive reinforcement and helps build relationships. The only problem is when you have kids that feel left out if they aren't as athletic. Otherwise, it sounds like it's working well for you.

One more thing: Baddley should not play QB. He was an O-lineman and oil doesn't mix with water.

Huey said...

Good points.

As for unathletic kids feeling left out? Baddeley is already playing. Got that covered.

Seriously, I try to deliberately get the ball to the unathletic kids often to help exactly what you just said. There are plenty out there. This one dude is Baddeley's "go to" receiver. It's awesome stuff.

See? I have been trying to tell that lopsided, throwing lug he can't throw to save his life. He belongs in the trenches and trenches only. Even the kids complain he doesn't throw it right.