Sunday, March 9, 2008

March Madness

Oh yeah, I am happy to write that my beloved Buckeyes won two very big games against ranked opponents this week. And thus begins one of my favorite times of year even as I look out to walls of snow outlining my driveway.

The end of this week will mean the start of the Big Ten tourney an my Buckeyes in an opening round rematch with today's opponent, the Michigan St. Spartans. This time the game will be on a neutral court and mean more to the Buckeyes' chances of making the big dance. I am not sipping the Kool-Aid enough to think the Bucks will make it quite yet. Nor do I think they will last too long in the NCAAs. But that doesn't mean I don't want them to play in the tournament anyway. I am thinking a win against the Spartans is required. After that, I would feel much better with one more win to follow it up. Obviously, I'd prefer winning the whole Big Ten Tournament, but two good wins should get them in.

Here is my argument as to why OSU only needs 2 more wins: They played a legitimate schedule unlike their football counterparts. They played every one of those good teams tough. They beat two ranked teams (Purdue and Michigan St.) and two "bubble" teams (Syracuse and Florida). If they get the two wins I am looking for next weekend, they will add at least one more ranked victory and 20 wins. Also, they have a winning conference record. I really would have like to see one or two of those close games to have ended in the left hand column (W column) whether it was Texas A&M, UNC, Indiana or Wisconsin.

Either way, this time of year is fun because we can discuss who deserves to go to March Madness and who doesn't. We can make our projections and argue why. We get to watch the action of the conference tourneys and the teams that need wins to make a run at the dance with the inevitable desperation and excitement that follows. It is always magical. It is nice that OSU is in the hunt enough to have a vested interest beyond the pure enjoyment of watching. We got a team that is part of the equation...for now. This is most likely just another example of the Huey Karma getting my hopes up high just to crush them into pain and agony this Friday evening.

Then, Sunday night will bring the Selection Show with the immediate bracket drafts and revisions and pools and more debate about who was left out and who should not be there. Even the marginal fans get in on the action. The following weeks of games during work and weekends satiated with basketball from noon to midnight are a dream come true for basketball fans like myself.

Ah yes, by the end of the tournament Spring will be here with the improved weather and weekly softball games and cookouts all around the corner. Life is good this time of year my friends, life is goooooooooood.

5 comments:

comoprozac said...

They have to beat MSU. If they do, they're in. It's that simple. Any wins beyond that will only improve their seeding.

Huey said...

You think it is that easy? I tend to agree but I worry. One more win beyond that would ease my concern.

Anonymous said...

Just to comment on your Freakin Huey Karma.. Two months ago I was pumped that Cleveland State, at the top of their division and also beating Butler, may actually make it to the big dance for the first time since 1986.... then what do you know Huey Karma kick's in and they loose 5 straight to divisional opponents... Hey but then... they win 7 out of their next 8 games...and are playing 10th ranked Butler again tonight for the league championship.. and hopefully a seat in NCAA tourney.. But hey, I'm not saying anything due to Huey Karma.

Huey said...

Ah yes, I saw that myself. I want to root or CSU but that would only worsen my OSU's chances at a bid so I am torn. But you seem to have learned well. Don't say a word. Just watch the game and enjoy it with the everlasting hope that they MAY win not that they will win.

The Karma is real. Fear the Karma. Respect the Karma. Never ignore it.

Exxxxxxxcellent my young padawon learner. Exxxxxxxcellent.

Anonymous said...

Ohh well, CSU had their asses handed to them in the second half of the game (one of their best player came out with an injury 2 min into the 2nd half).. Hey after something like 12 loosing seasons, I can deal with a 21 - 12 record, and finally a good coach....

....anyways go Bucks.