Tuesday, March 4, 2008

This is Turning Into a Sports Blog

Since I seem to be blogging more and more about sports, I am worried this is becoming a "sports blog." I worry I am becoming one of those people you hear about that gets blamed for the oversaturation of sports. You know....the 24 hour sports talk radio, ESPN and those blasted bloggers with their rumors and "fire the coach" tirades.

So be it. Here are some random thoughts I have regarding the sports world. Hal Lebovitz style. In my mind he was one of the greatest sports writers. I fondly remember reading his articles in the New Herald as I grew up dreaming of being a sports journalist myself.

Buckeye Hoops.....I am very disappointed the high hopes we had for Deibler and Koufos have fallen greatly short of expectations. Koufos needs to learn to play with more authority and aggressiveness. Deibler has just lost his shot. I also was worried about Thad Matta. I have had no doubt he is a great coach and recruiter (i.e. Conley Jr., Oden, Lighty, Cook, Deibler and Koufos...all blue chippers), but I see a negative trend in his teams. The offensive system relies heavily on long distance shooting. As they say, "You live by the three, you die by the three." Late in the year his teams seem to shoot worse. I believe it has to do with fatique. Without Oden down low to rely on, what do we have left? I wanted to see more variety to the offense. As I watched the big win against Purdue (or Purdon't in some circles), I noticed and heard some encouraging things including the need for the players to move more and execute the offense he has installed and the need for Koufos to be more aggressive. I am relieved to hear we are on the same page. After all, I have won a ton of Division I basketball games, so I would know a thing or two.

Brett Favre..Here's to a great and memorable career to the gunslinger who we all loved in the Packers uniform. He was a man's man. I just wonder why so many people consider his announcement a surprise. We knew this was coming. And we shouldn't continue to fall into his "will I or won't I?" game he takes us though on an annual basis. But I am glad he is going out on top so to speak. Not with a ring, but with a good season and a good taste in his mouth.

My beloved Cavs....So the return of Larry and Drew ended with a win for the Cavs. PHEW!!! Didn't look good with eight minutes to go in the game but "the King do what the King do....don't he?" (The horrible grammar was intentional for the affect) That dunk over Deng was absolutely sick!

3-2 since the trade in case you were counting.

Browns' Offseason...Right now I like signing Anderson. I think you need two good quarterbacks. Quinn is still the QB of the future, I do not doubt that for one minute. Injuries and the rapid pace of changes in the NFL may lead to an earlier entrance than people are expecting right now for Quinn. Let's just see how well Anderson this year against a tougher schedule after a subpar second half to the season and teams game planning more for him. Of course, he has a full offseason preparing as the starting QB. He has a year of experience behind him. Finally, he can game plan better with experience to draw upon. Jamal Lewis is back and a key contributor. I'd like to sign the Browns acquire a young RB to grow int he system to replace Lewis. The additions to the defensive line will be very beneficial adding a pass rush which will help the defense as a whole.

Tribe Prediction...You will have to wait for that. I feel the team will be solid. I need some time to go through the roster moves and get a feel for the team as whole before I state my claim. This much is true. The Tigers will not live up to their preseason hype. You heard it here first.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Huey John,

I understand your concern about this whole blog thing becoming a big sports forum. Fear not, at least in my eyes. I think you do a good job of mixing it up. You'll get better as time goes on too. I think you just always need to be on your toes in regards to topics to talk about. In all honesty though, sports happens all the time, it is ever changing and for guys like a us, it is SUPER interesting. Sooooo it can be so natural and easy to talk about sports. There is a reason ESPN is so huge; right? Also I know I only comment sometimes on the sports posts but I enjoy the other ones too and I don't comment sometimes because they're just good blogs and I can't add anything. Whatever though let me comment on sports. I WANT TO SEE BRADY! I know the right thing was to sign Anderson but I hope Brady plays this season. I love LeBron. He just dropped a sick 50 on the knicks. I hope this team can pay him back for everything he has done for them. I kinda like where they are at right now. They are 4th in EC and they'd meet the Celtics in the second round and most likely Detroit in the EC finals. I'd like to meet the pistons again and beat them again in the EC finals. I don't want to talk about Bubkeyes B-ball. Although I was hoping for better but I knew Koufos wasn't an inside banger and that he'd have to grow in to that role. The Indians are poised for a down season. They were so close last season and a lot of people stepped up. It's gonna be tough this season. I'm just warning ya. I hope though. I really hope. Baseball is funny game. I think both the Indians and Browns are returning from seasons where they exceeded expectations. I feel better about the Browns going all the way though more than the Indians. Just a hunch. Thanks Huey John later

Huey said...

My grandma who taught at the college level and is very knowledgeable in the realm of writing always said ,"you must write about what you know." I know sports. So I write about sports a lot. I'm cool with it though. Although I am glad to get the opinion of you guys regarding the variety. My goal is to change it up and keep things interesting enough for me and others to enjoy.

You bring up good points. I think we all knew Koufos wouldn't be a banger, but I was hoping the 7 feet would mean something. Man. BIG win against Purdon't though. Enough to keep me hoping. Stupid Karma. (See how the karma morphs into anything I choose??? hahaha)

And I worry that the Browns will be a better team but take a step back record wise next year. The Tribe is in for a tough season, but I just believe in this team. They remind me of the Cavs ast the end of last year. They found answers to some weaknesses that allowed for them to be conservative in the offseason. For istance, the Cavs offense opened up last year when they discovered Gibson. Remember his contributions in the playoffs? The Tribe's version of that would be Cabrera who locked downt he two spot and second base. Remember his clutch plays and hits? Of course, I really think Lofton played a role last year down the stretch and he is gone but let's not forget Gutierrez wasn't playing everyday until later in the year as well. Now these guys have a year behind them. And Steady Blake at third. We were still thinking Marte at this time last year. And Hafner has to have a better year.

I want to see Quinn as well. I just honestly believe we will. Weird things happen in the NFL. Just because Anderson signed that contract......we shall see.

Nathan iv...love the comments. Talking sports is something I thoroughly enjoy.