Monday, March 3, 2008

Mommy's Little Monster

I have to express my love for this album. Social Distortion's Mommy's Little Monster is a classic album that I have recently immersed myself in 1000 percent. I have been in a Social D bender for about two years now for some reason. Why it has taken me so long I do not know, but every album I listen to...I love. Mommy's Little Monster has to be the best overall.

Going in, I knew I would like several of the songs including, "The Creeps," "Another State of Mind," "Telling Them" and of course the title track, "Mommy's Little Monster." With this many songs already in my back pocket and knowing how much I enjoyed their live shows, I was very confident I would enjoy the album as a whole. My confidence was confirmed. "It Wasn't a Pretty Picture" jumped out at me with its driving bass line. "Moral Threat" is a track I find myself going back to time and time again.

This is an album I consider top five. I am ashamed that is has taken 26 years for me to finally realize it. Then again, I am rather pleased. It gives me hope. It is nice to know that I have not found all the music that I will love. Since it is difficult to count on new music to hit home like this album has for me, it is exciting to think that I still have older, established bands and albums and songs to explore.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mike Ness is amazing!!! I never got to see like the original or part-original band. The first time I saw them live was like early 2000's or something. Mommy's little monster, prison bound and somewhere between heaven and hell will never get old no matter how much I listen to them.

Huey said...

Yeah, I agree. I'm a big fan of Ness as well. I, too, have missed out on the original lineup. And yes, none of the albums really get old for me either.