Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Stop Complaining!

Once again the AM sportstalk radio airwaves are filled with talk of how the 65 team basketball tournament isn't right. This happens every year with numerous suggestions of how to fix it. I have heard ideas ranging from letting more teams in to eliminating the conference tournaments.

Mike and Mike In the Morning on ESPN Radio discussed whether teams should be selected based upon who is the best 65 teams versus rewarding those teams who had the best seasons.

All of this is fine. I enjoy the debate and let's face it, this is what 24 hour sportstalk radio is all about. This is fun banter. Where my frustration lies is when we have people jump up on their soapboxes in December and trash the BCS as college football's system for determing a championship. They then refer to the hallowed system of a playoff where the championship is decided on the field or in this case court as the proper way to annoint a champion. Now we are at the doorstep of just such a system and they claim that this system is flawed because there is too much subjectivity in determing the participant. Well......if it is flawed then maybe it isn't so great after all! I thought the tournament was the ultimate way of solving the great mystery of who is #1! So which is it? BCS or Playoff?

In all fairness I may be taking opinions from different people and attaching them to others forming a contradiction that isn't there. Obvsiously making generalizations is a bad idea.

But seriously, you know what I am talking about. The inundation of anti-BCS/pro-playoff talk during the Bowl season followed in the spring by the problems with the tourney talk. If this playoff system is so much better then we should quiting complaining about it when we actually get it.

I like both. I think we should have both the way they are. I am not complaining. If my Buckeyes are left out I'll be upset but I won't feel the system is flawed. They didn't do enough in the regular season to get in. Point blank...bottom line.

Who am I to complain after watching my team in the BCS championship two years in a row get blasted, obviously not deserving to be there (at least this year with the loss to Illinois and weak schedule)?

No comments: