Saturday, May 3, 2008

Fear my Family....

Some know this story well. Others have heard it but laugh. More have heard and forgotten. If you do not fall in any of these categories read on and mark this as your warning.

I have capabilities not even I understand yet. It is a power I must use for good and not evil. If I can learn to control it, you better not step in my way.....or my offspring.

Let me begin. Through my entire life I have had dreams. These vivid dreams seem very real. While nothing about this is unusual, many of them come true. I also get "vibes" about things. Again, nothing different than most people but these "vibes" come true more often than not. Of course I believe in my heart that every single human being has this power but does not appreciate it or harness it properly. I have joked in the past about how I am phsycic but as time goes on I really am starting to believe it. Don't forget the phenomenom that is The Huey Karma passed on down from the Matthews side as well.

Now here is the scary part. This you should fear. Over a decade and a half ago the Cleveland Cavaliers (you knew sports would be tied in wouldn't you?) played the New Jersey Nets, Boston Celtics and Chicago Bulls in the playoffs. Each team had a star player that destroyed the Cavs. In the first round, Drazen Petrovic of the Nets lit up the Cavs' defense from behind the arc. It was brutal to watch and I almost lost my mind. I swore up and down that I wanted that man dead or hurt. Fortunately, (or unfortunately to the rest of the world) the Cavs won that series and moved on to Boston. The Celtics had a young rising star in Reggie Lewis. Once again, the Cavs had no answer for the star. Again, I swore up and down that I wanted that man dead or hurt. But the Cavs managed to escape and move on again. Next up were the Chicago Bulls who, as everyone knows, had one of the greatest basketball players of all time in Micheal Jordan. Continuing the pattern, he lit up the Cavs and I swore to the rooftops that this man must be brought down. The Bulls won.

Later that offseason I read the paper and noticed Drazen Petrovic was in a fatal car accident in Germany. "Oh man, that sucks," I thought. "He was in his prime." Then I read that Reggie Lewis had a heart condition. He then passed away as a result. "Oh my. This is tragic," I reflected. Finally, Jordan retired for the first time.

Suddenly I connected the dots. "Oh no! All three of those deaths were players I wanted dead....figuratively!" I felt a shadow of guilt fall over me. Was I the reason they died? Did I cause their death? Did I bring it upon them?

Jordan's deal with the Devil was so strong that not even my secret power could keep him down. He returned to the NBA...twice...and won more NBA rings. But while he escaped death, he couldn't remain in the NBA until he left for his baseball experiment.

Ever since I have tried to keep my mouth censored in my rage against opponents singlehandedly dominating my teams. While I want them to stop, I don't truly want them dead. That is where I draw the line.

This power is not limited to me. My grandfather attended a Cleveland Indians game at the Old Cleveland Municipal Stadium, the Grand Old Lady on the Lake, soon after the Indians won their last World Series. The experience was so bad and the service was so horrible that he left with my grandmother swearing to NEVER return to an Indians game again in that stadium and that they would never win a championship again in THAT stadium. As a result of his boycott he never saw just how even worse the stadium got decades later with troughs for bathrooms and leaking pipes and long poles in the middle of your view. Not to mention the metal seats. But I have my own, nostalgic opinion about that.

Well...the Tribe has yet to win a World Series since. They never won another in that stadium. In fact, they struggled to be competitive until the move to Jacob's Field (now Progressive) in 1994.

Coincidence?

I don't know if I believe in coinciences anymore. Everything just may happen for a reason after all. And the suffering of my fellow fans and those individual players may be the work of my family.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

(And I am working on getting Pa to lift the Curse of the Tribe. He already said the move was good enough. But I haven't seen a trophy yet.)

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Wow, I didn't realize this. Even freakier, as I have a very similar power. Back in high school, I really "hated" my English teacher. I swore up and down that I "hated" him. After one particularly bad weekened of venting, I came in on Monday to find out he was on long term leave to take care of his mother who had been stricken with cancer. I felt really bad for him. As weeks went on I began to "hate" the sub with about as much venom. Suddenly, my English teacher was back because the sub's mom had gone blind. I felt bad.

There was this kid in the drama department who really annoyed me and I said I "hated" him. He came in the next week with a broken arm. By ths time I was sensing a pattern. So I SWORE I would never again say I "hate" someone (hence all of the quotation marks). However, this kid really annoyed me, and the next year I said it again: I "hate" him. Shortly there after he came to school in a wheel chair.

There are more examples of this. Remember Rob, my ex-boyfriend? He used to be a runner. After we broke up, he hurt his knee and he can't run anymore. True story. The list goes on...

I've always felt that this was a curse God gave me to teach me that hate is a very strong word and shouldn't be used lightly. I refrain from saying it now and when I do say it I'm very quick to follow up with "no, I don't really hate him."

The only exception I've found to this curse? When I actually wouldn't mind if something bad happen to a person. The girl that Rob dumped me for? I didn't want her dead, but I would have gotten some secret glee if she broke a finger. She remained perfectly fine the entire time they dated. I think God knew there was no lesson to be learned if I didn't feel remorse.

I'm glad to know now that I'm not the only Huey with this affliction...

Huey said...

Oh snap! This only strengthens my suspicion!!!! I was writing this tongue and cheek and now....

Interesting that you look at this as an affliction. I, too, feel guilt for the bad stuff but thought of it more as an uncontrolled power rather than affliction.

I think it is a sign to be more positive towards people. Not necessarily adversaries but loved ones.

I wonder what Doug has to say about this?

Kathryn said...

I guess to me it's an affliction because there is no yin to the yang. There is no postive outcome that I can weild in the same manner. If I say "I love Ally" that doesn't mean she gets to win the lottery tomorrow (would that it did!) I feel a power needs to have good and bad attributes. The only good that comes out of this is that I have learned not to hate.

(But sometimes you need to allow yourself to feel angry, so I have to come up with different words so I can go to a dark place and not cause any harm).

I'm VERY interested to see if Doug has any similar stories. Maybe not - as the "Golden Child" he already has enough going for him. Maybe he doesn't get to have super powers! :-)

Unknown said...

I'm not buying it. As an emotional person (I think you would admit this) you have expressed extreme displeasure with lots of people. Just by the law of averages, a few of them are going to encounter tragedy. Think of all the people who are doing just fine (Jordan, Elway, Biakabatuka, the list goes on). If Kathryn had the power, I probably wouldn't have lived past 10 yrs old.

Huey said...

On cue Doug chimes in with some realism...

I love your comment about Kathryn taking care of you by age 10. hahahaha

And did you really need to bring up Biakabatuka? That's just low. It hurts reading that name.

But he didn't exactly rip it up in the pros so let's not chalk him up to success just yet.