Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Cavs Wrap Up

Ok. It has been a couple of days. I think I can do this. Here are some of my random thoughts regarding the Cavs' 07-08 season and the current state of the team.

Season in Review
My knee jerk reaction has been that the season was a failure. Even objectively one can say that it was a disappointment since the only way to match or improve on last season would be to win it all since they made it to the Finals. They did not do that. So it should be deemed a failure.

But let's examine the season a bit closer. This year they ran into a Celtic team that was "supposed" to win. They had three bonafide all stars. The Cavs were right there in the end. One could argue they looked better in their losses than Boston looked in theirs. But that is splitting hairs and meaningless really. They lost.

There were more important factors.

First, they had a 10 day trip to China in the preseason. That may not sound like a lot but it affects you. I believe their slow start was due, in part, to the adjustment that needed to be made following the trip.

Second, the holdouts of Pavlovic and Andy were detrimental had a negative impact as well. They both played large roles in the prior season's success. Missing them hurt in general as well as in setting the rotation for the season and building chemistry and rhythm. It was a domino effect that lasted longer than it should have.

Also, there were injuries to important pieces at critical times and for long periods of time. These injuries did not allow for the rotation to be set, chemistry to be built or any kind of rhythm to be set. And obviously injuries keep key contributors from contributing.

Finally, the big trade midseason was also a tough obstacle. The new players coming in needed to gel and learn their roles on this team. The remaining players needed to adjust to new roles. The coaching staff and team as a whole had to figure out how to replace the skill sets of the departed players with the skill sets of the new players and remaining players. And once again, chemistry, rhythm and a rotation needed to be reset.....halfway through the season in time for the playoffs.

So the Cavs had so much to deal with not to mention the lack of any offensive (AGAIN) plan by their defensive head coach.

Taking all of this into account one can say this season was not that bad. But honestly, I just don't feel as good about where we stand as a team right now as I did last summer.

State of the Cavs
I am unclear how this offseason will go. I keep hearing how expiring contracts are gold and we have a bunch. Therefore, supposedly, we have a number of tradeable players. I just don't see it. I don't know what Ferry can do this offseason. If he can eleviate the team of the contracts of Wally, Smith, Jones and Snow then we may be in business. Personally I would like to see Joe Smith stay. I like the idea of keeping West and resigning Gibson. Both have too much potential. West really showed me something as became more aggressive and comfortable. He finally learned James wants him to take shots and not defer to the King all the time.

I was very negative at first, but now I wonder what would have happened if this team played a full season together. What if they knew their roles? What if they could enter a season together and stay together? Could they have won more games and get a higher seed earning home court and winning the Boston series? You know Boston wasn't gonna win a game seven in Cleveland. Then again, I doubt they would have won more than Boston's 66 games to get homecourt against them. But maybe Detroit. Maybe a Conference Final berth against the Celtics. Hmmm. Is this the key? A better regular season? Better post season position? Isn't what got them to the Finals last year the easy road through the playoffs? Of course, Detroit wasn't easy. Being down 0-2 to Detroit even harder. But they won in six. I still like to call that the 6 game sweep.

All in all, I do not feel as bad as I did earlier in the week. But as the weather in Ohio, that could change before I finish this sentence. I don't feel good either though. If Ferry blows up this team, I may not have a problem. As long as the moves make sense. Unlike the know-nothing-about-the-NBA local sports radio guys here in Columbus, I believe in Ferry. I like what he has done. I am going to trust him.

So let's see what he does. And drafting Koufos (Ohio State) at #19 is NOT a good idea. I called it first.

Go Cavs!

9 comments:

comoprozac said...

I think you called it. However, until they get another all-star, we'll just wait for James to head to NYC.

Huey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Huey said...

Agreed 1000%. While I wonder how that roster would do with a whole season, I honestly don't think they can win it all. If they can dump those names I mentioned earlier and maybe more to get one if not two bonafide all stars, not one year wonders, then I would feel much better. I'm just not sure how they can.

Unknown said...

Let's get a couple important opinions down for the record.

1. Do you pay Gibson? He has shown flashes, but he is injury prone.
2. Do you pay West? I agree that he did a lot of great things in the playoffs. Do you feel comfortable paying him based on that short period of time? If you do, is our search for a point guard over?
3. I figure we can make 1 of 2 big moves over the next couple years to get a "stud". We can trade the expiring contracts this summer. Or, we can wait to sign a free agent next summer. It's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to do both. I know this question depends on the quality of potential deals, but at a high level, which do you prefer?
4. What position should we target? Do we still want a point guard, do we want an inside presence with scoring ability (Z is getting old), or do we want a shooting guard who can score (what Hughes was supposed to be)? When answering this question, think hard about the type of player that would best complement Lebron.

Huey said...

Excellent questions. Difficult.

I lean towards paying Gibson and West. I would like to think that means our PG search is over. But technically it wouldn't. Neither is a true PG. And I am tired of saying that. It depends on the money thay want though. If West and Gibsono are going to come in guns blazin, I'll begin to lean the other way. It also depends on what is available in terms of PGs. If Ferry wants to go that route to get the second all star, then don't sign these guys. But if Ferry is thinking all stars at other positions, then lock in West and Gibson.

I do not think Gibson will be injury prone. I know I have little to base that on, but I'm going with my gut here.

West has a lot of toughness and grit. I like that alot. I think he played well under pressure. He made FTs. He made big shots. He drove to the basket with strength. He played solid defense. I think he has room to get better but I feel he will. I said he was the key to the trade because he would be the one to stay and had the most potential. I'm sticking to that.

I think we go for the best player out there regardless of position. After that last paragraph and having LeBron at the 3, I guess I would go for the best player at the 2 or on the front line. Preferably a shooter. If we can get two guys, make sure a tough nosed rebounder is included.

Anonymous said...

Let's not forget about Michael Redd or Greedy Gilbert Arenas. Michael Redd stayed with the Bucks when he thought they were contenders. I'm not saying there is a great chance but there is always a glimmer. And Gilbert and Lebron are very tight friends. It would be the true Jordans's Pippen. Who would you double? If the money is right it may happen. Could be why he hasn't negotiated with the Wizards yet?
Baddeley

Huey said...

I have heard rumors about Arenas being available. I also hear Redd...again. I worry the Redd fantasy has passed.

I would love Arenas....on our squad. Otehrwise I find him annoying. But not a BAD annoying, just annoying. What if we could get Jamison too?

Open Letter to:
Antwain Jamison and Gibert Arenas

We know you tried hard to beat us in Washington. Atta boy! You gave a galliant effort. Now that we have proven you cannot beat us...you are more than welcome to come on over and join us. We can get you what Washington couldn't.

Cavs Fan

Unknown said...

Arenas has a player option for $12.8M. Jameson, who made over $16M this year, is a free agent. They will both look for big money, and the Cavs can't afford to pay it.

Trading for Redd is a more likely scenario. He is due over $50M over the next 3 years, and the Bucks could definitely use the cap flexibility. If we traded for Redd, we probably couldn't sign a big free agent next summer. Is Redd enough to get us over the hump? His numbers are solid, although declining, and most would agree he is overpaid.

I prefer a deal with the Pacers. If they want to blow up their team, maybe we could trade for Jermaine O'Neal and Mike Dunleavy. This would give us an inside scorer and an outside scorer. Of course, Indiana may have no interest in such a deal.

Huey said...

Yeah, I don't truly have any misconceptions that the Cavs are going to pull in those two Wizards. I was trying to catch fish in the air. And I was joking. I fear Redd will not live up to expectations. It just reaks of so many Cleveland signings of the past when we'd get a big name guy after his best years. But I also fear that with O'Neal from Indiana. So while I agree the Pacers deal you brought up may be the most reasonable, I am not overly excited about it.

I do not think Redd is enough to get us over the hump...for the record. I am not sure The duo from Indiana is either.

But Agent Zero???????

We may just have to bite the bullet and save up for the NEXT offseason. The coming year may be brutal.

Although, like I mentioned before, we may be pleasantly surprised what this group could do with a whole year together. I assume I am too optimistic which isn't like me but....