Thursday, May 8, 2008

Why I Can't Be Buddhist

I still have so much to read regarding Buddhism. But I already know I would never be able to become Buddist myself. Let me try to simply and correctly explain why this is so.

The goal of Buddhism seems to be to reach enlightenment or nirvana. To do this one must eliminate all desires. According to Buddha who became enlightened himself, desire is the root of all suffering. At the core I am completely on board with this thinking. I do not question the validity of his preachings one bit. Where I have a problem is that I cannot give up things I desire. I just cannot.

I look at it this way. A person who has grown up and become very successful and rich is able to understand that the lifestyle they live is limiting. The happiness they feel is superficial and temporary always leading to the need or desire to get more, regain it after it wears out or look for a new pleasure. They realize that if they were to quit these things and simplify their life by giving away their money and unnecessary possessions and devoting themselves to other people instead of parties and shallow pleasures, they would be truly happy and satisfied. Unfortunately they cannot give up those pleasures. Those pleasures no matter how shallow or temporary they are make them happy. They are comfortable with the constant search or struggle with obtaining these pleasures.

That is where I am at. I don't want to give up my sports. I want to have that desire for new CDs. I have said in the past that I don't want to be rich because I could have everything I want and would lose that feeling of NOT having something and wanting it. I said I liked and wanted to continue to have that "want." I liked knowing there are still things out ther I can "get." This seems to be a fundamental contradiction to Buddhism.

I remember my former roommate Rob saying something to this degree once.

One more thing: Those of you reading this from a Christian background as myself may have noticed some parallels between the two theologies. The idea of devoted yourself to more "enlightened" things than superficial, "earthly" desires.

And I may be looking at Buddhism too generally as an outsider to Christianity would look at it too broadly. For instance, much of what I am stating may be meant more for those who choose to be more monastic...those who plan to be monks. Like priests in Catholicism. One could look at some of the "requirements" of priests and generalize them to the common Christian and say, "Hey, no. I'm not interested. That's too dedicated." But actually, if they knew more, they may feel differently and more willing. I, very well, may be at that state.

I definitely have more to read.

2 comments:

comoprozac said...

I think you can be as much of a Buddhist as Christians are Christians. Do most Christians really follow the teachings of Jesus? Not really. Does that make them any less Christian? Maybe.

If you want to practice Buddhism, do it. Don't limit yourself b/c you can't commit every part of your life to the practice. It seems to me that most practitioners of religion (any religion) don't follow every rule all the time.

Huey said...

Agreed. I was trying to touch on that point in the last paragraph. Taking everything I read so literally and strictly may make any religion impossible to follow. Your point is very well take. So I shouldn't make such broad statements.

But I guess in my heart I think if you can't go 100% all out for a particular set of beliefs then you aren't "true" to it. And I want to be a "true" believer. This is why I find myself where I am right now....nowhere.

Although, so much of what I read about Buddhism and its outlook on the world and human experience in general is so in tune with how I generally feel. But I also think the same can be said about Christianity when looked at from the outside at a distance.

This is whole topic still intrigues me greatly though.