Thursday, June 12, 2008

More opinions

As I drove around with my daughter today listening to the radio a song came on by Live, a standard rock band maybe classified as alternative but that is up for debate. Anyway, I recalled how numerous people I know mentioned they like Live. I don't. So I thought I would present a list of bands that are generally well liked by my peers but disliked by me. This is not necessarily a judgement on their quality because I, and sometimes my peers, do not know quality music when we hear it. Also, some of my peers do know quality music, just not all. Again, this is a matter of opinion not fact.

Live- As I already stated, I have yet to hear a friend of mine agree that this band stinks. I don't know why I think so, but I just never got into them.

Rush- If I had a dime for every time I have to hear how their drummer is the best drummer of all time and how epic this band is.......but I like ZERO songs by this group and refuse to give any other stuff I haven't heard a chance.


Dave Matthews Band- Yes, college girls around the country back in the 90s have every right to get into this "jam band" as they dance around in their bare feet on the lawn of outdoor amphitheaters across the land, but I don't have to like it. Honestly, the radio overkill of these guys is what did it for me. Once they began to fade off the radio I actually began to enjoy some of their stuff. I liked the character Dave Matthews played in the movie, "Because of Winn Dixie" and started to change my opinion because he seemed like a cool guy, but the new radio station in Columbus, 106.7 which is pretty cool, has regressed back to the 90s overkill of DMB and rekindling my old feelings.


Blues Traveler- For all I know this guy is a musical genius. But it means little because I find every song I have heard by them annoying. I saw them live when I worked at Polaris Amphitheater in Columbus and still didn't like them. The crows sure did....but to this day I avoid their stuff.

Matchbox 20-Sorry Kathryn and Vicki, I do not like any of their stuff. Blah!

Garth Brooks-The one song that gets played at the end of wedding receptions (Friends in Low Places I think) is kinda cool when I've been drinking but otherwise.....can't stand his stuff.

_________________________________________________________
Here are some artists/bands that most of my peers seem to dislike but I can't help but enjoy:

Journey-My main man Norm will agree but otherwise, it seems to be the older generation that feels my love for the power ballad kings of the 80s. Man, there is no better music to tap your foot with authority to than the Steven Perry led power rock songs by Journey.

Bryan Adams-Oh so bad that I can't help but sing along. I mean how many of his stuff did we grow up on sitting in the back seat of the car as mom drove us to soccer practice, tee ball games or friends' sleepovers.

Barry Manilow- Takes me back to the days working at the Butcher shop. I know way too many words to way too many of his songs.

Huey Lewis and The News-Some great 80s pop. I remember using copies of one of his album covers as my poster to run for student council in grade school. I lost. But it was a sweet poster: "Huey Lewis says- 'Put a Fellow Huey in Office. Vote 6th grader John Huey for Student Council'" I thought it was clever.


Linkin Park-I know they appeal more to angry teenagers and they are commercial and "artificial" using computers and "inorganic" sounds and may seem manufactured but I have bought in.

Both lists can go on but I'd like to hear some bands you enjoy that most of your peers don't and vice versa.

Or points of mine that you disagree with. I bet there are a bunch.

5 comments:

comoprozac said...

I saw Live twice back in the day. They were my girlfriend's favorite. They're pretty terrible and over-the-top.

Rush: "What about the voice of Geddy Lee?/How did it get so high?/I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy./I know him and he does./Then you're my fact-checking cuz."

Dave Matthews is cool b/c he's bi-sexual and signs cool bands to his label. That's sort of where it ends.

That Blues Traveler guy lost a ton of weight though. They're forever a one-hit-wonder.

I get Matchbox 20 and like 10 other bands confused.

When making fun of Garth Brooks, all you need is two words: Chris Gaines.

Because you're my friend, I won't give you a hard time about the acts you like. Except that "I Wanna New Drug" is a great song.

Huey said...

hahaha comprozac, you are the one I was ready to hear it from on those bands I like. Thank you for your kindness in avoiding a tongue lashing I'll admit I deserve. "I Wanna New Drug" is one of many classic Huey songs. Oh man so good.

Unknown said...

What, no eddie money or billy ocean? I do like the Pavement reference in the one comment though.

Huey said...

How does that Eddie Money song go: "Come feed my baby" or something like that right? Can't say I fell for that one. Or Billy Ocean. Both guys use words for last names. Hmmmmm

Huey said...

And kevin, if you like the Pavement reference you may want to check out comoprozac's blog I have on listed on the right, living in misery. I think he even has one dedicated to Pavement. Right Zac? Or no?