Thursday, October 16, 2008

Space and Time

I was thinking about 2012 and the polar shift and the end of the world earlier this week. The coincidence of the Mayan calendar ending that year seems a bit eerie to me.

This got me thinking. What does this really mean? How significant is the end of the calendar? Does "time" really stop? Let's say humans were gone, butt he sun, earth and moon still existed as it does now. Wouldn't time still exist? Or is time solely a figment of the human experience?

I figured time is based on the rotation of the earth and its revolution around the sun as well as the moon's revolution around earth. Therefore, if these things continued, so would time. Each revolution of earth around the sun would still be a year. Each rotation of earth would still be a day and so on.

But without humans there to mark these times, would it not truly exist. These solar actions would be just that....a solar action. So time would not exist anymore.

I suppose it is a "tree falls in the forest with no one to hear it, does it make a sound" type of thing. But then I thought to myself if you were so far out in space that there was no star in sight to measure your distance to, would you be moving? I guess if you were approaching a star even if it was not seen, you would be, so maybe my question is would you feel like you are moving? I would think you would have no idea.

I had a friend explain to me the concept of traveling at the speed of light using some example similar to this but for the life of me, I cannot remember the details. I think it was some part of Einstein's theory of relativity.

Either way, I am too lazy to go look this stuff up. Just thought I'd write it down somewhere.

No comments: