Monday, October 6, 2008

Ohio St. vs. Wisconsin



Thank God for local AM sports talk radio. Here in Columbus, we have WBNS 1460 The Fan. We also have Mark the Shark and former Buckeye Jeff Logan on FM 103.9 in the afternoons with "Shark on Sports". There are more local sports talking heads but The Fan's Jim Hooley, former Buckeyes QB (and ESPN darling) Kirk Herbstreit and LB Chris Speilman as well as 103.9's duo are my preferences. Without these guys to get me home in the afternoon, I don't know what I would do.

Today's topic, as with any football season Monday was Saturday's Buckeye football game. I was surprised at the reviews I heard. Actually, I was not the least bit surprised that Hooley's was different than mine, but it seemed as though everyone was disappointed in upset with the close, hard fought win. This struck me as odd because I am usually the pessimist. Ask comoprozac. I actually feel pretty darn good about the victory.

Here is my rationale. I have seen Tressel ball for enough seasons now to get a good feel. Personally, I have grown to like it. He wins with it. It may not be pretty but he wins. Can't we understand that by now? This past Saturday's game was another game in which we won ugly. In 2002 we went 14-0 that way and earned a National Championship. At that time, Tressel was in his second year and I wasn't sure what to make of it. I didn't know if I liked it. But now, as I have seen Tressel play several different styles, I actually prefer we go back to that conservative style. Back to my point, Saturday was not pretty but we won in a hostile environment against a team that has won 16 in a row at home and more than 10 night games consecutively as well. They are a solid team. They are not a great team but good enough to feel like we earned a good win in their house. I have more positives from this game later.

The problem is this. The Tressel formula relies heavily on a shut down defense, excellent special teams and a ball control offense. So if we go back to my preferred Tressel ball then we need these components. Unfortunately, this defense is the most poorly coached defense ever. There is supposed to be a ton of talent but they are in the wrong places. They "play" slow. In addition the defensive line needs to be stout and they are not. The Badgers were able to run all over that line. The line couldn't get any pressure on the QB either leading to Wide Receivers being open all game. It was very frustrating.

Despite this, the defense managed to hold just enough to keep in the game. Then Jenkins sealed it with a key interception. Also, the coming out party for Terrelle Pryor continued as he added to his resume a clutch, fourth quarter, game winning drive capped by a beautiful option run for a TD. I tell you what, this kid is smooth. He just glides across the field. That drive alone was big time. It was critical. He is learning so much this season and growing so much that I can't wait to see what he has in store. There are obvious problems. He holds onto the ball like Charlie Frye. He takes big sacks. He still hasn't learned the Krenzel special of throwing it to cracker jack vendor in row 15. Some throws are way off. But he has still brought more positive than negative.

Overall, I woke up Sunday morning feeling really good about the victory. I still do. I am not surprised or let down by the close game. I predicted a 23-20 Wisconsin victory. Apparently, I know this team better than the "experts." I know better than to think it would be 31-17 Buckeye win like Hooley and his fellow radio guys thought last week. That Michigan game didn't fool me. So I am not disappointed in the 3 point margin. I still get angry about this defense that everybody loves. The schemes just flat out stink like old cheese. I will not deny that. But a win is a win. And if it is gonna be close victories all year...so be it. 2002 was fun. And I don't need to have them in the BCS Title game again.

MARK MAY SUCKS!
Mark May is know for discrediting the Buckeyes. He is public enemy number one in Columbus, Ohio. For that reason alone I try to avoid trashing him. He is doing his job and these hillbillies here feel like he is out to get us. The same ones that get mad when Herbstreit wears a blue tie or yellow tie. Supposedly that means he is a traitor. Or if he doesn't defend Buckeye nation regardless of how they played. I like to think I am better than them. I like to think I can respect the objectivity and professionalism of national broadcasters.

But after hearing how much May loves how Vanderbilt "finds a way to win" and fights for victories even though their stats don't back it up, or how they are a legit top 15 team, I can't take it anymore. He is quick to overlook this traits while TRASHING the '02 Buckeyes all year that season for the same attributes. To him OSU didn't deserve to be there because of the stats not backing up their high ranking. Granted, I agree Vandy should be ranked high. But so should have the Buckeyes in 2002. That contradiction has lost any respect I had. Now I'm jumping up to the front seat of that anti-May, Columbus bandwagon. That just isn't fair.

Once again, the only thing as powerful as the Buckeye nation is the anti-Buckeye movement of hate.

2 comments:

comoprozac said...

I still think the defense is fine. The only two teams that have done anything against them are USC and Wisconsin. Both of those teams have massively talented offensive lines and great running backs. USC jumped out on top and the offense let them get too far ahead (even giving the Trojans a pick-6). Wisonsin, on the other hand was a team with their back to the wall and NFL-ready backs and O-line. I have no problem with the defense. You'll see.

I predict that Wisconsin will beat Penn State this weekend. The Badgers are way better than they were in Ann Arbor. OSU beat a good team in a hostile environment with a freshman QB.

There is talk that OSU and USC could end up in the NC game. If things play out, there could be 2 and 3 loss teams atop the SEC and Big 12. Don't be surprised if it happens. I'd rather beat USC in the Rose Bowl...and next fall in Columbus.

Huey said...

Well, said. I hope you are right on all accounts. I, too, prefer facing USC in the Rose Bowl and winning. Then winning in Cbus next year on the way to a title.