Saturday, August 30, 2008

A College Football Saturday

Here are a couple of things swirling in my head this Saturday as I watch as much football as I can:

**Go Michigan!**

Yes, I said it and meant it. Those of you who love the crazy Buckeye fan reputation I have earned may think "What the?!" But think about this. As a fellow Big Ten school a true Buckeye fan WANTS Michigan to win these nonconference games. It was really fun watching them lose to App St. last year. I wouldn't trade that for the world. The look on the young UM fan's faces was pricelss. Those smug, arrogant kids had nothing to say. But that is not something we want to happen every year. Losing to Utah today hurts us. It is another blow to the Big Ten's reputation. A Big Ten conference in which our Buckeyes are a member. We need Michigan and every other Big Ten team to sweep all of their nonconference games.

In addition, they are our rival. It is so much better for the rivalry and in my opinion when both squads are dominating. Maybe I am from the old school. I like Michigan to win every game up to The Game. Then I want them to win their bowl game unless it's the National Championship. I draw the line there. I just can't handle that. But otherwise, Michigan needs to win. It means more. It adds more. It is just, plain better. This new generation of fans that take the bitterness for Michigan to the extreme is thinking backwards. I used to be that way too I guess, but with the App St game in our back pocket forever, I don't need to be. I dislike those Michigan fans. I hate those colors. I cringe at the memories of Charles Woodson, Desmond Howard and Tim Biakabutuka. I still hold alot of pain and hatred in my heart for the 90s. But revenge is best served when we beat them and it means something. It hurts them much more when their bid for an undefeated season goes down to us. It hurts even more when we are also undefeated. That is the true taste of sweet revenge. Even more than watching them lose to App St. or Utah.


**Beanie Wells**

So what's the deal? He was carted off the field. Then he walks back out onto the field. The X-rays were negative. He has done this before. Is he pulling a Loyacano? Does he have some toughness issues? Or is this serious? I'm just saying. There is a trend here. Regardless, he is a stud on the field and we need him there. But not against OU. I love Brandon Saine and I would love to see him play. So let's rest Wells against OU no matter what and hope he is ready to go against USC.


**GameDay**

I love going to games. I love the gameday atmosphere. Today was nothing like it is when the students are back and it is a conference game or a late season game, but the tradition, the memories in that place. I absolutely love it.


**Week One**

The Bucks looked good today. The defense was pretty much on lock down. At onoe point in the second half YSU only had 55 total yards of offense. The offense looked smooth and flowed well sans in the red zone. The kickers kicked well. A number of players got to play. The offense played a clean game with no turnovers and the defense forced a few. They scored 43 points and gave up zero. They controlled the clock and the game. Next up: OU Bobcats.


**Terrelle Pryor**

I was very pleased with Pryor's debut. He could have come out and looked overwhelmed. He could have come out and played mediocre. But he was very impressive. He showed he could drop back. He showed he could play from the shot gun. He showed a little option. He rushed. He passed. The passes looked accurate. He didn't seem flustered in the pocket. He demonstrated athleticism and poise. He was able to complete his first pass. He was able to score a touchdown. It was critical that he had some success in his first outing. He gained confidence and has plenty to look at in film to study and critique and get better. He will have to. Today's game has won me over.

4 comments:

comoprozac said...

I will have to depend on your analysis to get a good feel from Buckeye games not broadcast nationally. I look forward to the USC game mostly so I can see them play for once. Hopefully, the Big-10 keeps their hands off Buckeye games the rest of the way, but I doubt that will happen.

The entire Big-10 looked terrible yesterday...well, not as bad as the ACC at least.

(The last three letters of the word verification are "PBR."

Anonymous said...

Huey, I hope you won't mind giving me a little refresher course in OSU football so I can enjoy the season.

Who's who?

Who are we playing each week?

Do you like Tressel's coaching? We think highly of him - do you?

Did we win yesterday? What was the score?

I'd like to cheer on a team this year so I don't have to work on weekends for the first autumn in many, many years.

thanks for your insightful comments.

Here's my question: why does a team like OSU play YSU and OU? Isn't that uneven? Maybe it should be, like, a pre-season for them :)

Okay, I know, anything can happen (as in Appalachian State), and you can't beat up the team week after week withe powerhouses. They'd just knock each other out.

Okay, I withdraw the question.

:)

comoprozac said...

Not to put a damper on things, but my dad suspects Beanie's injury is possibly a blown achilles. That would be a season-ending injury. Not beating USC. No National Championship.

Anonymous said...

Hey Beau...I totally agree with you on the whole "Go Michigan" thing. I, too, enjoyed watching them lose to Appalachian State, but they really need to pull their shit together this year. It's especially hard for me to be living deep in SEC land...they think the BIG 10 is a joke...and we need to prove them wrong. Go Bucks!!! And go Michigan....until Nov when they walk into the Shoe and we SLAUGHTER them:) or until they start playing other BIG 10 Schools:)