Thursday, August 21, 2008

Blame the Teacher!

I am now entering my 11th year of teaching. Every minute of my experience (including student teaching) has been in an urban setting. Therefore, keep this in mind as you think about my opinion. My school is a low performing school. According to George W. Bush and the rest of the government officials supporting No Child Left Behind, we are in Academic Emergency. The parents of our student body receive letters outlining how bad we are. There are some teachers who have been good, caring teachers, following the guidelines of the district that are labeled as not highly qualified. Fortunately for me, entered graduate school immediately after I graduated and earned my Master's Degree. This means I am "highly qualified."

I describe all of this but avoid going into more boring detail to help paint the picture of what I deal with on a yearly basis. My success is based on the test scores of 25-30 students who may not have slept the night before, may not be living in the same place they did last week, come from a home filled with anger, desperation, violence or drugs. They are probably wearing the clothes their sibling wore the day before without getting washed. Their walk to school and walk home later in day could be like a minefield of bullies, scary, drunk, drug addicted or homeless adults and teenagers let alone garbage and unkempt yards or streets smelling of cheap malt liquor or urine. My point is, it is highly likely their mind is not 100% on the test.

So each summer we receive the scores and that sinking heart feeling of, "Man, we failed again. Now what do we do?" We begin the next school year with an attempt at a positive attitude, more data analysis and brainstorming of what works and doesn't work and how to improve scores. Then we enter the school year and implement these ideas or district wide implementations. But we inevitably stumble to similar results. Granted, some years really are better than others. Last year we climbed out of Academic Emergency into Academic Watch through a method called safe harbor. But I anticipate a decline backwards this year.

Naturally, I try to analyze what I am doing wrong. I try to personally examine what I, myself need to improve as an individual teacher to make things better. I have done this a number of times now. I have sat through meetings with fellow teachers and administration trying to accomplish the same goal as a group many times over as well. Most times I walk out with a horrible feeling of failure and defeat.

My wife has just completed her first year teaching and is now experiencing this whole routine firsthand. She is realizing how the blame keeps getting pointed in our direction despite all the work, effort and time she has put in it. As I listen and observe, I hear her talk like a first year teacher. I hear her say all the things that make complete sense...to someone who hasn't dealt with admin for a decade. At times I want to chime in, not because I think she is wrong but because things don't make sense in our line of work and someone will tell her she is wrong. She seems to be noticing this now.

She has officially been given the, "Test scores are bad and its your fault. What are you going to do about it" speech. My poor wife busted her rear end last year and did everything by the book. She went the extra mile and documented each step. She checked every move she made to make sure it was professional and ethical when she did it. And I can attest that it was all professional and ethical. She maintained high expectations for her students but was fair and understanding of each individual situation. I mean her year was air tight.

But the low scores are her fault.

One interesting dilemma for teacher nowadays is the lack of natural consequences. One would think a failing grade would mean something to a student. If not the student than the parents or guardians of that students. But this is not happening. Instead of the student being held accountable for a failing grade, the teacher is the one held accountable. It is not, "what did the student do wrong?" it is "What did the teacher do wrong?" I understand we need to hold teachers accountable. I understand we play a major role in the learning process, but when did we suddenly forget it is the student's job to learn to? Where is the idea of student accountability go?

The administration is blaming the teachers. The parents are blaming the teachers. The government is blaming the teachers. There is now a confrontational relationship between parent and teacher. The students are aware of this and manipulate it. The common citizens in central Ohio don't trust teachers either voting down levy after levy.

Meanwhile, money is taken from our schools for charter schools. Resources are dwindling. We used to have a student advocate in our school to work with the counselor and nurse and community to help our kids with all those things I mentioned in the first two paragraphs. They are now gone. Most schools in our district do not have a full time nurse. Our counselor is only part time. Our principal has to deal with disciplinary matters so much that she rarely gets to address the academic needs of our staff.

As teachers, teaching arithmetic and reading skills comes after you work to get the kids to show up to school, eat breakfast and avoid getting into a fight. All of this is done with all kinds of resistance and defiance and rude attitudes. I don't mean every once and a while, I mean this happens almost daily. I am not exaggerating.

We have completely lost trust in our teachers in an effort to hold us accountable and to a higher standard. It has officially gone too far. We are fighting a losing battle and each year it gets harder. We need help. I just pray to God it isn't this way in other districts.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Beau. This is so well said. And I know it's true. My heart aches for you and your wonderful wife and all the teachers - and all the kids, too.

The newspaper is full of stuff about our city district falling behind after last year's improvement. They're going to have to do something else, something more.

Just know that you have lots of people supporting you and praying for you.

Anonymous said...

John,
You already know the solution -- keep all of your students with you all of the time, pay for their housing, clothing, school supplies and food. Maybe we need more Brits in our schools...it seems to work for Nanny 911, Kitchen Nightmares, and the new one about the failing hair salons.
Don't get down on yourself too much - every other teacher (who doesn't work for Upper Arlingon or Grandview or the likes of those) knows what you're dealing with (to some extent) and sympathizes. It doesn't make it better, but at least SOMEONE sort of gets it.
Keep on fighting the good fight!
-Rob

comoprozac said...

The greatest factor for student achievement is what daddy does for a living (which you touched on in a previous post). However, to change that, we'd have to raise the minimum wage, make college affordable for everyone, and stop busting unions. That's going to cost corporations and CEO's a lot of money. We wouldn't want that to happen.

Bashing schools and teachers is an easy way to keep these issues off the table. Let's face it, in a system set up for failure, you're an easy target. Even those nice schools Rob mentioned have struggled--it's really hard to improve upon a 98% passage rate and meet NCLB standards.

Like you, I could go on and on about this stuff.

Luckily, the New York Times has done it for me. Check out what's happening in New Orleans here.

Anonymous said...

You're in a tough situation my friend. I can easily list 10 reasons why the system is failing...here are four..

Home life is such an important factor.. think back when you were in school, how much crap in your home life or relationships did it take for your grades to start to slip? Just imagine the stress these kids are under.

I've said it before, public school is nothing more then a business (with much focus on HR), and school administrators and elected officials are rarely qualified to run a business.

Unions, which are needed in some select situations, do a great job at killing any sort of innovation or change. Over time most people are not going to try and change the overall system, when their salary is based on a static chart and is not influenced by work effort and creative thinking. You are an exception to the norm, but you cannot do it by yourself.

Its hard to help kids make progress when you are starting over every year with a new group of students.

I have plenty of more examples. In respect to Vicki, Comprozac, and yourself.. I'm not a teacher and haven't walked in your shoes, so I may be off base here. I think you are doing the best you can with the tools and the environment you are given to work with.

I would be interested on hearing some of the ideas to improve scores. Does your management suggest any ideas? You get the scores over the summer after class is done with... so guess what.. the students don't care. I assume you're teaching 4th grade.. Does the 5th grade teacher see the individual results for each student so they can improve on weaknesses?

If your success as a teacher solely depends on these metrics.. I would give them a similar test the first week of class to get a baseline down so you know from the get-go where you need to focus your efforts on. I would then test them again on a monthly basis so you can track your progress. I would send the results home to parents to try and hold them somewhat accountable. What does the test cover other then math?

One other thing you should at least think about... would be to look for other employment / career opportunities. I commend you on wanting to work in the inner city trying to make a genuine difference, and I know you have. Its one thing to keep up the effort when you're a bachelor without a family... but you need to do what is best for your family. Ultimately, you are the only one looking out for the welfare of your family (realizing other family members will help when they can). Do you think if budget cuts come around and teachers need to be let go, and because of the circumstances you're flagged to be cut.. do you think its going to matter to the administration how much effort you've put in, or the kids you've helped? Your boss may think you're great, but you get high enough in the chain of command and you're just part of a figure on a spreadsheet (you said it yourself, your success to your performance rating as a teacher is solely based on a test score). Again, you need to do what is best for your family and your daughter's future above everything else. Don't get me wrong, what you are doing is important. Just don't let "I'm making a difference where I am" be the overriding factor on any opportunity decision you may make.

-Mike

Huey said...

When I taught in Cleveland, I remember a movement towards a business way of thinking in the district. Customer Valued Service was a motto. It was Barbara Byrd Bennett's first year and that was her platform. I left the district at the end of the year so I have no idea how that worked. But it sounds like you are not alone in your ideas of handling education like a business.

I see the point but caution people to handle education JUST like a business because while there are similarities, I am just not so sure they are identical. I cuold be wrong and I am not sure where I want to go with this, but I just recomment caution if we go that route. It just doesn't seem as cut and dry as business does. Having not worked in the business field I am a bit ignorant though.

In terms of your suggestions, all very good, we already do most of it. The week before school starts we look at all kinds of test data and talk to the prior grade's teaches (within our school, not for new students coming in and there is a lot of transience where I teach) to prepare for the upcoming class.

We look at their weaknesses and plan different methods to handle and improve those weaknesses. It could be an emphasis on certain objectives or strands, it could be differentiated groups within the class, it could be focusing on tutors to remiate those weaknesses, it could homework designed to address those weakness and more.

Before the test we focus on test taking and all the logistic aspects of taking the test. WE communicate with the parents to help prep them at home. We make sure they are fed and rested as best we can. We try to release stress and pressure.

You make a good point with the union thing but I think they are necessary. It is unfair to teachers like myself to be paid based on success due to the overriding factors that are out of control and unions help keep that from happening. Plus they work in our best interst to create things like "discipline schools" which are called something different but basically help deal with students who need a lot of outside help so they don't ruin the class as a whole. That is another debate for another time. But there are other things unions to do working with the administration to make things better although you are right that it can kill motivation if things are set up.

Fortunately, there are other things that determine my "success" in a round about sort of way. It depends on how you define success. Again, another topic for another day. I am not going to lose my job easily. If I bust my rear end, the principal notices and that goes a long way. And one year of bad test scores won't lose my job. But several years will. It is a complicated thing. And success goes beyond job or no job, it is connected to that feeling in my gut, the labels attached to me and my school etc.