Saturday, April 26, 2008

State of my Blog and other Tidbits

State of Blog
Well, I started this blog earlier in the year in an effort to write more and avoid annoying people with emails about topics I like to debate or talk about. I also was hoping friends and strangers would browse through and join in with their opinions and perspectives to help me shape mine.

I like what has come of this so much that I am bugging my wife with the time I spend on here and have recently tried to ween myself off a bit to respect her needs. But I am not quitting this blog. Nor does she want me to.

Anyway, I have been sticking to the sports theme a whole lot of late which is cool. That is a huge part of my life. It is what I enjoy the most. I'd be a farce if I came on here saying I want to write about what I think about and enjoy and avoided that subject completely. There is more to me though contrary to popular belief. I think I have shown that with some of the posts I have put on here. I plan to get back to more of that.

Spirituality
Right now, nothing is coming to me to write about and I don't want to force it. Plus, the book I am reading on Buddhism is awfully dry. Not much to really write about. I am enjoying the book as I learn more about this way of life. It still appeals to me greatly. But I haven't had much I can reflect on that others would want to chime in on. That may change as I make my way through the book. I plan to read the Book of Matthew in the Bible after this. My Dad recommended it. I plan to discuss it and the comparison to Buddhism with my Dad, you and those in the blogosphere in the near future.

Education
I am really burned out with my career so my education reflections may be on hold. Plus summer is fast approaching...my "healing" time.

More Fatherhood
I also wanted to add that I love having a daughter and wife. When I hear "My Girl" by the Temptations I have these two beautiful people to think about and appreciate. Can't use that song with a son. Maybe in less than 7 months I'll have a son to experience the same kind of thing with as he grows up. Probably a different song though.



NFL Draft
I am watching the pre-draft special on ESPN and just have to say I love Tom Jackson. I always have. I have fond memories of when he and Chris Berman and Pete Forgot-his-last-name-but-he-has-since-passed began NFL Primetime in the late 80's / early 90s. I loved watching for Browns' highlights. It was the highlight of the weekend, ending it with the memory of a great Cleveland Browns victory. Anyway, this guy is steady and knows his stuff. It is the one thing that keeps me coming back despite the mindless laughing they all keep doing nowadays. For some reason we have to have a comedy up there for the fringe fans. I just want my football with some spontaneous humor from time to time. And I don't need the panelist cracking up all the freaking time.

Oh yeah, and the Browns had a kick ass draft last year with their acclaimed top three picks and the little talked about pick of McDonald at the DB position which made Bodden expendable. And this may sound funny since they don't have any picks the first day, but this year's draft is a good one in my mind because they used the picks to get Brady Quinn last year as well as Corey Williams and Shaun Rogers (who the Bungles tried to get) on the DL where we NEEDED help. More to come on this for sure.


Music
A band I have recently fallen in love with is The Hollies. My brother and dad would play "Bus Stop" in our basement back in the day when we had friends over and it was always a fond memory of mine. They did a great job and it was a cool tune. Later, I was able to parlay their musical talents into a little ditty for my wife at our wedding reception. I rewrote some of the lyrics to fit how my wife and I met and put it to the music of "Bus Stop." My bro and dad played behind me as I sang to my wife who had never heard this version before. Everyone watched. Those of you who know me know I can't sing to save my life and it wasn't pretty. But it was so much fun and I enjoyed every second of it and felt the rush of performing in front of close to 100 people if not more. It was also cool to meet up with my dad and bro to practice leading up to the "show." I enjoyed the bonding.

With that said, in my search to find a copy of "Bus Stop" I realized The Hollies had a number of songs I recognized and enjoyed. In fact I enjoyed them a whole lot! And many of their songs are so different than the others. They have songs like "Bus Stop" and then a more classic rock style "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress." Then the intimate "Air That I Breathe." The soft rock classic "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother." The bee bop pop style "Carrie Anne" or "Just One Look." And these are just the popular hits. There is so much more about these artists I want to find. Yum, good stuff.

No comments: