Thursday, April 3, 2008

OK FINE!

Yes, yes I burned everything and anything I owned of Albert Belle the day he signed with Chicago. I don't like giving in but I cannot combat my own hypocricy. I was really mad and now I apparently have done a 180. Or 360 to be more accurate.

You have to admit though.....a warm summer night at Jacob's Field. Bottom of the ninth with 2 outs. Tribe down 2 runs. 2 runners on. From the batter's box comes Albert Belle. The intro of "Hell's Bells" by AC/DC playing with the ominous bells ringing. The target in left field displayed on the scoreboard. The pitch....DEEP fly ball to left center field and over the wall. The place goes crazy! Flashing lights, fireworks, people cheering and the exhilerating feeling racing through your body as the Tribe wins another!!

That was so awesome and he did it so often. I miss it. But despite that I should stay true to my actions and statements. Maybe I should replace it with a Brook Jacoby pic. Or Omar. Or my fantasy team namesake, Joe Charboneau.

And my bad on Radiohead being American. I heard someone else reference them as American during a bar conversation regarding this same topic. So I should blame my source. Not me. I have always been indifferent regarding them anyway. I just figured they were good based on what I have heard and in an effort to be objective.

3 comments:

comoprozac said...

What happened with the Albert Belle thing? Also, I noticed the Radiohead oversight, but thought that it detracted from the conversation...and I didn't want to sound like a pompous ass.

Huey said...

See? Zac, I was counting on you to keep my music references in check. You are my "go to guy." Don't fear sounding like a pompous ass, you aren't. Well, maybe....no, you aren't. You are a well rounded, music coniseur and I trust your knowledge and opinion in these matters.

I loved Albert Belle back in the day but when he left the Tribe to sign with the rival White Sox I lost my mind. It was the beginning of a series of disappointments that were less of a disappointment each time since they became expected. Things like the loss of Thome and Ramirez and the inevitable departure of CC after this year and LeBron soon after are becoming the norm. But in the Indians case they are for the better. We have been able to sign several young good players by saving the money those big boppers.

If you recall correctly that is how the powerhouse club in the 90s was built. All those guys were young and farm system products. Just like now. Shapiro worked under Hart so it makes sense. Ic an deal with this method. We have to deal with some down years but it is worth it and it feels more legit than "buying" teams.

Anonymous said...

I was worried about sounding like a nit-picking, pompous ass, when I pointed out the Radiohead oversight as well. Hopefully I did'nt ruin the good name of anonymous