Friday, April 25, 2008

Sense of Humor

I was thinking today: Why is funny funny? What makes things we laugh at funny?

I realize we all have different senses of humor and are amused by different things. But what makes these things amusing? There are all kind of different types of comedy.

I for one enjoy Frank Caliendo and his impersonations. But why are they funny to me? Because they are so much alike the people he is imitating? Why is that funny?

I can't say I am a big fan of slapstick comedy but there are moments that I laugh at someone slipping or bumping into things. Mainly the look on their face is so out of the ordinary that I laugh. But why?

A good joke is funny but why? Is it the clever aspect of it? Is it the combination of the absurd and the real or mundane? Is it insult of it?

Seinfeld was so good at poking fun at the everyday idiosyncrasies of life but why did we laugh? Was it the fact that other people noticed these things too?

Dirty humor is always funny? Why do we laugh at sex and cuss words? Are we nervous about talking or hearing it?

How about cuteness? I have laughed at some of the things my daughter says becasue it is just so darn cute. Why? She makes me smile all the time just being, but still.....why do I laugh?

Whatever the reason, I love to laugh.

2 comments:

comoprozac said...

You know what's funny? Amy Poehler peeing in that sink. That's funny. She's peeing in the sink! ROFL!

Huey said...

Now that's funny.