Saturday, December 20, 2008

Year In Review 2008...Part One

As we wrap up another year, I am taking some time to reflect on the happenings on both a macro and micro scale. There were historic events we all experienced together and there were some personal occurrences that shaped who I am individually. There was the good, the bad and the ugly. Hopefully, I can accurately review them here.

WINTER
I began 2008 with the genesis of this blog. I played around with the blog section of my myspace profile prior to 2008. After following my buddy's blogs a bit and following the encouragement and lead of my sister-in-law who also entered the blogosphere, I began this enjoyable experience of sharing what goes on in my head. While I used Comoprozac's Living in Misery and my sister-in-law's DailyLiving (now Nurturing Self) as models, I wanted to keep this true to myself and my personality. I enjoy variety so I have intended to keep my topics on this blog varied. It is focused and may seem to be all over the place, but I am very pleased with what I have done here. I have thoroughly enjoyed the conversations generated through this blog without having to bother people with mass email threads.

I began with numerous philosophical observations and views but it didn't take long for me to voice my opinion on my true passion: sports. January began with my beloved Ohio State Football Buckeyes losing another BCS Title Game to an SEC team in embarrassing fashion. Chants of "overrated" rang across the nation. But that's ok. We had a ton of returning seniors and a match up with USC in the beginning of the year to shut everybody up. Sigh.

Fresh off that depressing loss, I felt the realization of opportunity lost. My teams has just finished an exciting 2007 with no championships to show for it. The Buckeyes has two title appearances in the span of a calendar year for football. The men's cagers were in the championship. The women's basketball team had success, the men's soccer team was in the final four. The Columbus Destroyers were in the Arena Bowl. The Cleveland Indians were one game away from the World Series. Even the Cleveland Browns were a smoke and mirrors 10-6. The Cleveland Cavaliers were in the NBA Finals.

But no trophies or rings.

So I figured 2008 would mark the beginning of the descent. The Browns followed through on their part. So did the Destroyers and Indians. The Buckeyes were able to get the men's basketball team a NIT Title (which means 66th place) and the football team into another BCS game (the Fiesta Bowl surprise, surprise) but both are considered disappointing in Columbus. We have set higher standards. But the Cavaliers are ending 2008 with real evidence that their descent may only be a dip before the rise. We still have too much season ahead to make any claims of success and a band of Celtics in the way.

But my blog began with more than opinions on my sports interests. I spent much of the early posts reflecting on my stances and thoughts on my spirituality and different moral topics. I used this venue as an arena to work on myself and express my thoughts in an effort to initiate discussion and acquire varying points of view to shape and reshape my own. It has definitely been a success as I continue to develop my ideas of the metaphysical.

The winter months brought plenty of snow days which was a joy. I thought about how Exxon made record profits in the earlier year and how Snoop Dogg was suddenly appearing on Larry King to discuss topics so far removed from what made him famous. He would speak of pimpin', using and selling drugs and glorified the trashy treatment of women to sell millions of dollars worth of records. Now he is speaking to Larry King about fatherhood and politics and what not. Meanwhile, gas prices continued to skyrocket and lead these oil companies like Exxon to record profits. But that was just the beginning of the frustration we would feel in regards to the economy in this country.

SPRING
Spring brought The Master's, March Madness, Spring Training and Opening day, The NFL Draft, a big Cavs trade with a run at the playoffs, an NIT championship, and improvement in the weather. The Cavs made a monster trade ridding themselves of Drew Gooden, Larry Hughes et al to acquire Delonte (Delmonte Best) West, Wally Szczerbiak, (Big) Ben Wallace, and Joe (Hard Hat) Smith. The major component of this trade was the expiring contracts of the new guys along with the potential of West. Plus, it was nice to get rid of the inconsistency that Gooden and Laura Hughes brought to the table. After the season ended and I began to look towards the future, I was well aware that any number of those four would be gone sooner than later but I was curious how things would have been or could be if that group had a whole season to build chemistry and find their role on the team. More on this later.

I also took a trip to Chicago to visit my brother and sister-in-law and nephews. My brother and I headed downtown to the United Center to check out our Cleveland Cavaliers as they lost a game to the Chicago Bulls. Despite the loss, it was a good time. We took a couple shots outside before the game to win some prizes.

I was also able to get some one on two time with the nephews allowing the parents some time to go shopping for the boys. I may have father experience but not with twins. PHEW! God bless them! But it was very cool. I look forward to more chances in the future to hang out with the EZ brothers.

My wife and I settled into her pregnancy. And looked forward to ending another school year. The push for the OAT hit full speed and our students made their way through another standardized test that would ultimately determine our success as teachers. Once again, they failed miserably. My grade level managed to make gains yet again (every year since 2004), but not enough to make AYP or average yearly progress requirements set by the Bush administration within No Child Left Behind to rid ourselves of the "YOUR TEACHER SUCKS" label. So despite our efforts and stress, we both ended the 2007-2008 as bad teachers, failures of teachers.

Nice. I love this job.

Softball began and I thought I would share my progress with you all but quickly decided to pass on that as I stunk it up. I was never able to get it going in either league I played in. Unfortunately, my Westerville team had much of the same problem as a whole. Our bats were silent throughout most of the season. In Hilliard, we were much more competitive despite a move to a tougher league. We managed to stay .500 and snuck in the playoffs just to go out in the first round....again. But playing in two leagues was fun. I hope to do it again.

May brought the passing of my grandmother. She was ready to go. The time was right. She lived a long, fruitful life. While it was hard to say goodbye, I felt very good about my time with her. I looked back on my dad's trip to Europe with my brother and sister for his birthday two years earlier. During that time I spent a good bit of time with my grandmother. I would check in for my dad since he couldn't. I was able to take my daughter a couple times as well. This was a very valuable time for me because I knew it was my chance to "say goodbye" without the sadness of really watching her leave. At the time of her death, I drew on this experience to help me say goodbye. It still hurt, but I think I was able to avoid any feelings of disappointment or opportunity lost.

The day I heard of her death I was in the middle of negotiating my neighbors' acquisition of my garden bricks with tears pouring from my eyes. I quickly packed up my car and drove up to my dad's house to be with him for the initial grieving. Part of my trip was for him, but most of it was for me. I recalled my divorce when he came down and said he would be there to do whatever I wanted to feel better whether it was drink as much beer as I wanted and have him drive me home or just peak in on my daughter at school and take her trick or treating. We chose the trick or treating. I thought I would do the same for him this time.

So we made our way to the nearest local bar for some comfort food and foreign beers. We made it home long before last call but spent the night reliving our time with and memories of B, my grandmother. We looked at old pictures, we read her numerous works of literature and poetry. We sang, listened to music, laughed, cried and made our way across the whole spectrum of emotion. I think it was good for both of us.

The trip to Alabama was sad as we mourned the loss of B, but comforting as we were able to see the places of her early life and spend time with family we hadn't seen for a long time and sadly may never see again. We were able to get a true peak into her life before we came along. We also met people who had so much admiration for my grandmother. So many people showed up and paid their respects to this articulate, funny, energetic, kind, warm, intellectual and strong, independent woman at a time that was hard for women to be so. The trip was a bonding experience for me with my father, sister, brother, uncle Paul and Aunt Gina. It also gave some satisfaction towards that part of my life. I first thought to write closure, but that wouldn't be accurate. Alabama and my heritage will always be a part of me. I would like to keep Alabama safely in a place in my heart.

I will review more of 2008 in my next post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love hearing about how you and your dad celebrated your grandmother's life. We really both do have supportive families and we (I) shouldn't take that for granted. Not everyone has that. Your relationship with your father is beautiful it really is.