Thursday, December 18, 2008

Strike One to Obama

I voted for Barack Obama. I do not regret that vote. But I do regret falling for the hope that he was going to back up what he stated in his campaign. Apparently he is no different than every other politician. I kinda knew it but didn't want to believe it.

Now I realize there are a number of seriously intricate and monumental problems he is facing. I am aware that he will not be able to follow through on all his claims. But a major reason I voted for him was his consistent message of unity. I bought into his proclamations that he would truly bring this country together regardless of party lines, race, socioeconomic status, physical abilities, gender, age, sexual preference and so on.

I find out today he chose a speaker for his inauguration who is hard core anti-gay. This minister is known for saying hateful things towards homosexuals. He preaches fear. From what I hear (I need to clarify I have not heard this person preach directly), he represents everything I dislike about religion. He reinforces my problems with the Bible. This kind of person is what pushes me away from God in the Christian sense. Now my president is calling on him to speak at his inauguration.

I think we have been down this road once before with his UCC minister who also spoke with hateful words. I didn't seem to care as much then so why do I care now? Good question. From my perspective this is the oppressor oppressing versus the oppressed fighting back. While I may disagree with the message of Reverend Wright at face value, I can almost tolerate the oppressed fighting back angle. Sometimes there is no other way to get out of oppression. But when it is the oppressor furthering their oppression as is the anti-gay message from Warren, I can't find justification to my liking.

This opinion reminds me of Malcolm X's, "by any means necessary." But I have felt the peaceful methods of Dr. King would be more successful and preferable than the more threatening methods of Malcolm X or Huey P. Newton and the Black Panthers. So I find myself contradicting myself here. I guess my point is I can understand the views of those civil rights groups that came from a more angry place than peaceful.

But I have a sore spot for this anti-gay thing. I think it is the most ridiculous and obvious breech of civil rights today and the lack of commitment by us as a nation to fix it blows my mind. The rationalizations for its defense bother me the most. I think that is where my sore spot is centered. It is tied into my disenchantment with Christianity, the Bible and religion in general. We continue to use the Bible to justify hate and discrimination. We ignore the important things the Bible tries to convey like avoiding power and greed.

So here I sit thinking about the symbolism of this selection. It contradicts an important aspect of my confidence in Obama. He isn't proving his words of unification. I also reflect on Obama's support of charter schools and vouchers and even though I knew this before and chose to overlook it, I am getting irritated.

This is still better than McCain't, but I am anticipating strike three. I am not optimistic. It is a curve ball and I was never able to hit those.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Well said - and I'll try to write more comments tomorrow, after I learn more about the situation.

Is this on the news yet?

comoprozac said...

I seem to remember eight years of a president who never listened to the opposition or gave them a chance to be heard. This is truly a unique situation in which a president-elect is reaching out to a group of people who don't see things the same way Obama supporters do. How is Obama going to get right-wing nuts to come around to his position on gay rights if he doesn't give them a voice?

Although I agree with your opinion on face value, I have to disagree with you that Obama has betrayed us and his campaign promises. I think working with the other side is new way to deal with the problem. Consensus can't be had if we exclude anyone, even bigots.

Huey said...

You beat me to the punch z. I was just reflecting on my post and suddenly saw another point of view. The point in which you are taking. I seem to be doing what I dislike.

As I take a step back and look at this more objectively, I see what you appear to be saying. While I disagree with this man's views, the fact that Obama is including him shows he truly is doing what he said he would set out to do.....try to unify. This seems like a legitmate attempt to reach out to those who did not necessarily support him (generally speaking).

So I guess the more I think about this, the more I should appreciate this move. I need to be level headed and fair.

I planned on writing a whole new post and may still, but my point here is that I have changed my mind. I like your point.

I just wish everybody thought like me! Because I am always right.

Huey said...

To add: Logically, one would have to allow those who take differing sides from one's own to play a role in the process if they truly want to be listening to all sides.

And there are numerous differing views and opinions out there. So to work towards amiddle ground all sides need to be heard and taken into account and valued, even those I personally don't like.