Wednesday, December 10, 2008

An Ode To Mo


This is NOT a projection for the rest of the season. For the Karma record, I repeat, I AM NOT SAYING the Cavs will have a good season. By the time the season comes to a close I expect the Cavs to finish in the lower half of the playoff race and lose home court advantage. What I would like to do is discuss what has happened so far. I am just stating the observations I have made in regards to this team up to this point.

As of December 11, 2008 the Cavs are 19-3 and riding a 10 game win streak. They also have had an 8 game win streak this year. It is early. We have played many weak teams. The strong teams we have played have beaten us. So, why am I so excited?

I recall my post regarding my aspirations for the Cavs' postseason moves. I mentioned that part of me was curious just how the new players acquired in the massive mid season deal that brought Ben Wallace, Wally Szczerbiak, Delonte West and Joe Smith (who was later dealt in the off season) to the squad, would play if they were with the team for a full season. I was content with trading them as Ferry did with Smith and probably will do with Wally, but I couldn't help but think.

I also wrote that I wanted to re-sign both West and Gibson. I wanted a point guard. We all wanted a point guard. Every die hard, dedicated Cavs fan I associate with wanted a legit point guard. Ferry come through. He did re-sign the two guards I wanted AND he pulled in a big time PG.

One word ladies and gentlemen: Mowill! Ok, two: Mo Williams.

I was pumped to hear we acquired him but as usual, I would believe the hype when I saw it. Larry Hughes came in with similar expectations and never came close to living up to them. At this point in the season, Williams' addition to the team has created a positive domino effect that you see as far as the end of the bench.

First, the offense is completely different. Suddenly, this team moves and cuts and gets open and makes shots. Williams presents an ability to truly distribute the ball. He is able to keep possessions alive by maintaining a dribble that is under control. His shot has been pure. He gets big baskets when needed taking a ton of pressure of LeBron. You can tell he is a leader, the quarterback of the team, the coach on the floor which is just what a point guard should be. He allows West to move over to the two guard position where he has flourished. He has been shooting very well and penetrating and playing surprisingly good defense against guys bigger than him.

LeBron trusts Mo. James is also able to work off the ball and move about the baseline which frees him up and adds a tremendous amount of pressure on the opposition's defense and help James get much easier shots. We have been begging for this team to get away from the spread the floor and watch LeBron style of offense that killed every game. As a result, James is flourishing as usual and other guys are getting open looks and coming through.

All because of Williams.

Secondly, the defense has been the type of defense people keep saying Mike Brown is able to create. They are genuinely shutting people down. They all hustle, rebound, double team and help, rotate, get in passing lanes to create steals and the blocked shots in the paint are constant. It is fun to watch them squash and strangle other teams.

Also, the third quarters are a total reverse of the last couple years. They used to come out flat and lose games against weak teams because of their lackluster third quarters. Now they come out and completely dominate on both ends. They have ran away with games to a point where the end of the bench empties for the entire fourth quarter and the starters take over for the cheerleaders rooting their teammates on. We have now been able to get rookies like Darnell Jackson and J.J. Hickson some legit minutes to help prepare them for the future and allow other bench players minutes to stay fresh and ready in case of injuries which will inevitably come, especially because of this positive talk coming from me. Some negative will come about like a bad injury.

Finally, this team has developed chemistry. Like I wrote after last season, some time together could create positive synergy. It looks as though they have. They police themselves and Mike Brown even says it himself, he just plays the film and they know what to do and do it. They get on each other to keep the right mindset. They don't allow for each other to get off course. You can see they all have one goal in mind and that is to win it all and they all are gunning for that goal.

This season has been good up to now.

But seriously, I love Mo Williams...he is the reason for the success.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes.. this is what the Cavs needed. James cannot pull the team through the playoffs by himself (the regular season sure..but not the playoffs. Good teams like Boston and LA (who are also on fire) adjust to well to a "James only" offense in a seven game series. Hopefully everyone stays healthy.. (I heard Z may have injured his ankle last night).

-Mike

Huey said...

Yeah, fortunately Z's xrays were negative. I expect him tot be a week or two tops. At least I hope. Boobie is out too so this may be a critical juncture....how can they handle some key injuries.

And as good as we can feel about the Cavs, the Celtics and Lakers are just as good and better. Also, they haven't beat anybody good. But at least they are beating bad teams bad.