Friday, November 14, 2008

The Top Five Favorite Bands!

After a LONG delay I bring you the final installment of Huey's All Time Personal Favorite Bands. Remember this is not indicative of who I think are the overall, objective best bands of all time, but instead, they are my favorites.

Here is a review of where we have come from:
25)Public Enemy
24)Nine Inch Nails
23)Huey Lewis and the News
22)Hanzel Und Gretyl
21)Nirvana
20)Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
19)The Who
18)Sublime
17)Outkast
16)Pink Floyd
15)Jane's Addiction
14)Muse
13)The Cars
12)The Hollies
11)Audioslave
10)Linkin Park
9)Stone Temple Pilots
8)The Offspring
7)A Tribe Called Quest
6)Fun Lovin' Criminals

5) Weezer:
Weezer is an example of a band that grows on you. I bought their Blue Album back in college, 1994ish I believe after hearing several songs on the radio. My roommates and I would chill to the album often. Slowly, I realized how much I enjoyed the album from start to finish. As time went on and they released more and more albums, my appreciation for them grew. Every album was one I would enjoy from the first track to the last. I love their sound, I like their look and the catalog of songs and hits that I never get tired of is endless. They sing about things I can relate to and their general sensibility is one that appeals to me. Overall, the Green Album may be my favorite. With songs like "Don't Let Go" and "Photograph" (what band doesn't have some song titled Photograph somewhere in their collection...geez) and "Knock Down Drag Out" and "Glorious Day"....I mean the list goes on. The whole CD is great.



In these days of iTunes and iPods, I look at my playlist and see that Weezer takes up so much space with the number of songs I have made sure to be included on the list. It is ridiculous. But with a band so tight, it really isn't all that crazy at all. The only bands topping Weezer in number of songs on my iPod would be the next four in my countdown.

4)Garbage:

I have been in love with Shirley Manson since the first time I laid eyes on her petite little figure heading this band of producers back in the mid 90's. I'll be the first to admit she is no Ali Larter or Carrie Underwood in the looks department but her rock n roll attitude was always so attractive and lustful to me. Their debut self titled album was awesome. The sound was something that blended pop and modern rock with some alternative and electronic sound. I have heard some refer to it as post-grunge. They were/are a perfect mix of a kick ass, attention grabbing lead vocalist with three successful producers providing the music and mixing the sound to make the sweetness of Garbage. Manson comes from Scotland while, Duke Erikson, Butch Vig and Steve Marker are from the U.S. Vig was a major player in the album Nevermind by Nirvana during the grunge days as well as other successful bands.


Garbage came out of the box quickly and grabbed me with their debut album and then followed up with Version 2.0 which was just as good if not better. I must admit the third album Beautiful Garbage was borderline fruity and not a real favorite of mine, the came back strong with Bleed Like Me and settled any fears I had of their demise.

Their live shows are tight. The sound is strong, Manson takes control of the stage and leaves out the bull crap. They get right to the point and rock out with little talk in between. Their vibe is upbeat and energetic. The sound is smooth and their sets are always full of quality tracks.


3) U2:

Longevity and sheer volume of albums and tracks that I dig from this band puts them in the 3 hole. Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullens Jr. and Adam Clayton have been around for decades now writing and making songs that I can listen to in so many different contexts. While everyone hated their little escapade into "techno," I enjoyed it. I didn't mind Pop. I loved Achtung Baby. It is still one of my all time favorite albums. I love the sound and feel of that album. "Even Better Than the Real Thing" and "One" are among my favorites but I also love "The Fly," "Zoo Station" and "Until The End of the World." The list goes on though. Like Weezer, U2 takes up a ton of kbs on my iPod. Or would it be mgs?



But while most people appreciate U2's earlier albums, I can get with that too. Obviously, Joshua Tree with its proven success is an album I can listen to front to back without a skipped track. Going back even further to the classics from War and Boy, I find myself waning a bit but still enjoy these earlier albums as well.

The look, the feel and vibe of the band is appealing to me and their songs are about things I can relate to. Bono is a prototype lead, The Edge plays the supporting role perfectly and Clayton just sits back and plays the bass the way bassists should. Mullens Jr. takes care of carrying the tempo and together, they make one tight unit.

Some people may be tired of Bono's holier than thou attitude and work in international relations and others admire him for it. I appreciate people who use their money or fame to try to do what they think is good. God bless him.


I have managed to see their live shows on several occasions. One of which was the PopMart tour that was lambasted by critics. Honestly, what's wrong with an over the top, sensationalist show for the senses? Pink Floyd did much the same. It enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the calmer, more down to earth show I saw later for the How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb tour. Yes, my experience with U2 is rather limited until Joshua Tree and on, but I have been able to "catch up" so to speak over time.

2) Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers:

Here it is: Straight up Rock n' Roll. That is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. No stupid crap. Just album after album after album of rock. So many people with so many different tastes can get down to Petty. He was a staple at our college "events." No matter the vibe, Petty worked. He has now rocked several generations of youth and adults. His vibe and sound is consistent and relevant.

Full Moon Fever was my personal initiation to Petty and his band. I loved so many of those songs. It remains one of my favorite albums of all time. "You Wreck Me" on Wildflowers is my all time favorite tune of his. his live shows are awesome. As I said before, consistent with All that is Petty, they are straight up, no frills rock. Greats sets that sound good and get the crowd going. The feeling is always energetic and fun. There's no crazy bull crap talking going on between songs except some quick anecdotal notes regarding the songs.

It was great to see he and the band play at the Super Bowl recently and even better to see how well they played. It was about time we had a Super Bowl halftime show worthy of the event and that lived up to the hype.


I would list the highlighted songs that I love by this man but the list would go on for ever and become biblical in its boring list of information that seems irrelevant. I can just leave it at this: I love just about every Tom Petty song I have ever heard.



AND NOW!!!!!! The most favorite band of mine: (drum roll please)

1) Social Distortion:

God I love this band. I have been on a Social D kick for several years now. I have tried to convince myself that I am going through a phase but I quit. I can't get enough of this band. I am way late to this party as the original lineup began in the late 70s/early 80s. I finally made my way to them in the late 90s and really getting into them more in 2002ish. But in the 6 short years that I have dove head first into their stuff, I find myself appreciating them more and more. I am not sure how to describe their sound. Again, I would say straight up rock n' roll although its a different sound than Tom Petty. They lean more punk, or alternative I suppose. They rock this rockabilly look and vibe. The members of the band have come and gone from what I understand with a guitarist Dennis Danell, passing away in 2000. Mike Ness, lead vocals, has been the mainstay though. His raspy voice has its unique sound that appeals to me as well as the general themes of their songs about going overboard and then dealing with the after effects. It seems like lately they are on this kick "being better." From "Far Behind" about moving from a poisonous friendships or relationships, to "Reach for the Sky" seemingly about working towards better things and "Don't Take Me For Granted" probably about their guitarist passing away and the feeling that you need to appreciate what and who you got while you got it.



I have been listening to Mommy's Little Monster a good bit. I also found myself listening to Halfway Between Heaven and Hell. I love the live album from the Roxy. And I even dig their newer stuff as well. Again, like Petty, the lists of songs go on and on. "Another State of Mind," Let It Be Me," "Cold Feelings," "1945," "Bad Luck," "The Creeps," "Prison Bound" and so much more begin the long list of songs I love. Right now two CD slots in my car are filled with Social D CDs.



As for their live show, anyone who has seen Social Distortion live knows they are awesome. Intense rock. A good bit of talk between songs, but easily overlooked when every song is strong and mindblowing.

There you have it. My favorite bands. I hope you enjoyed it. I would love to hear more than just comoprozac's Top 5. So join him by leaving your top 5. Or share your disagreements with my opinions. Any of you have memories with me at these shows or listening to this stuff. Feel free to share.

6 comments:

comoprozac said...

I had been waiting for your entire list to comment. Music is such a subjective thing that it's hard to agree or disagree with someone's favorites. Most of your bands have spent some time in my rotation, but my list would look very different.

You have some classic choices (U2, Tom Petty, Led Zeppelin, The Who) on your list as well as some peculiar choices (Hanzel Und Gretyl, The Hollies, Fun Lovin' Criminals). You included hip-hop (Public Enemy, Outkast, Tribe) at a higher rate than I would ever dare. There were all the regulars from the early-to-mid-nineties (NIN, Nirvana, Jane's Addiction). You even had some picks that demonstrated a diversity not usually found in suburban, middle-class daddies (Social D, BRMC).

Overall, it's a very interesting list. I may have to attempt one myself.

One note: I saw Garbage once. Actually, I wanted to see the Rentals open, but they cancelled. Anyhoo, Garbage was terrible. The band was completely programmed and devoid of any emotion or humanity, while Shirley Manson walked around in circles...literally.

Now, I have to construct my list.

Huey said...

Excellent comments. I am surprised to hear your experience with Garbage. That is too bad. I really enjoyed their show when I saw them. Different strokes for different folks.

I would be interested in your list because your tastes have always been ones I respected. I realize I fall in line with mostly mainstream standby's and my musical knowledge is limited leading to my assessment of quality being rather, well.....questionable. Therefore, reading other's, more "in tune" opinions help me gauge where my tastes stand in the bell curve of musical preferences.

For the record...I do not like Led Zepplin. In fact I can't stand them. It doesn't make sense that I don't like them but I just don't.

And if you knew me back in high school, you'd know my soft spot for hip hop. Unfortunately, there are plenty of examples of groups (are they really bands?) I regret ever listening to.

Great comments comoprozac. Word.

comoprozac said...

You're right. You didn't mention LZ. I think I glimpsed back at your list with a focus on classic rock and saw Linken Park or something. Sorry.

Like I said, my list will be posted shortly.

Unknown said...

Social Distortion?!?

I am shocked. Are you sure that this isn't just a little fling you are having with this band? I have never heard them played while riding in your car. I haven't even heard you mention them! If you were to have your number one band engraved on your tombstone, wouldn't you be more comfortable with U2 or Tom Petty?

You need to lend me one of their CD's.

Huey said...

I know, I know. I tried to address that with the comment that I thought it was a fling but its been 4 years now that I have been feeling this way.

But think about this. You have never heard them in my car because you are never in my car. When you are we are talking about the Cavs or Browns or the families so we are not listening to music or you are not paying attention. Let's not forget you were across the ocean for two years of these years too.

I will get you a CD but I know you have heard them a number of times on the radio. You would recognize them. I curious if you would like them.

Gravestone? Yeah, I think I wuld be comfortable with it. Some line from the song they wrote about their member who passed would be fitting since it would mean I have passed as well. Yeah, definitely, you have affirmed theiur place as number one.

Mike said...

Great list, Beau. Social Distortion is awesome, -- easily my favorite band. I think my favorite album is Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell.

If you haven't done so, you should check out Mike Ness' solo albums.