Sunday, November 9, 2008

An Observation of Race in America

We are at the cusp of a new era in America. Our first minority President has been elected. We have an unprecedented opportunity to do and experience some amazing things in the next four, or hopefully more, years. This is an opportunity to begin a public discourse and discussion on race and race relations in an open and healthy manner. But we need to be careful. I fear that as easily as we could advance to a much better place as a culture and society and nation, we could also slide to even further, more hateful and divisive depths.

First, I would like to share my personal opinion for the record. I am excited. I am one of the people that wants this to unite us black and white, Democrat and Republican. I want to see African Americans walk around with pride and a sense of investment in this country. I want Republicans to listen to our President and give him a chance. I want us to truly come together to fix the problems with the economy, crime, education, environment and race relations. I think we can. "Yes We Can!" as we have heard so much lately. I feel like Obama can initiate this. I feel like he can lead us. I feel like he motivate us to move forward. His acceptance speech was beautiful. It touched all of the points it needed to hit and in an inspiring way that sent tingles up my spine.

But I am fearful. I realize not everyone is from the same point of view as me. I have several concerns that lead me to believe that we may crumble instead of grow. There are people who do not take all of this the right way. There are people with feelings of bitterness, spite and anger. If there are enough people and they feel strongly enough in these ways, we could be in big trouble.

President Obama cannot and will not fix everything all by himself. I hope everyone realizes this. For beginners, the problems are so big and and so intricate that it is going to take time and patience to fix them correctly. Secondly, Congress will play a major role. Let's not forget our 4th grade Social Studies lessons about Federal Government, the Legislative branch makes the laws and the Executive branch (President Obama) carries out the laws. In addition, the real change is going to have to happen in the streets. We will be the ones changing things for the better. We can't sit here and watch, thinking everything will be hunky dory. And it is not going to be comfortable. It won't be easy. It may get ugly before it gets pretty. Because of this, I worry people will turn for the worse.

I'd like to share several observations and stories I have heard and experienced this past week since Barack Obama was elected. You can form your own judgement.

Exhibit A:
Wednesday, November 5, 2008

African American coworkers were estactic! It was like the Buckeyes won the National Championship except this was much more important. I was feeling much the same way. I was excited to talk to everybody about it and share in the excitement and hope of what may be. For the most part I did. But what struck me was how many African Americans naturally assumed I and my fellow white, male employees voted McSame. There were some bold, blatantly prejudice remarks made about why we'd vote that way as if they were standing in the poll booth with us.

My friend and I discussed this double standard at length and I am noticing mixed feelings. On one hand, that sucks. On the other, well, who really cares? This seemed minor compared to getting pulled over and patted down by a cop because I must be a criminal since I'm driving late at night and I'm black or have a nice car or have my stereo playing loudly. Or dealing with comments and assumptions like this on a daily basis your whole life.

This takes me back to a time in college when I attended an Asian American dance with a roommate of mine who was Indian. I was literally the only white guy, person to be honest, there. It was not the first time I was in a situation where I was the only person of my race. I played basketball at an all black youth group in high school. Larry Bird they called me. I went to an all gay church service before as well. But this dance was still very foreign to me. The music, the languages being spoken, the attire and little nuances were unfamiliar to me. After we left and walked back to the dorm (without any women unfortunately, these were my pre-player days) I made the comment that I felt out of place and my roommate replied, "Now you know how we feel everyday." For some reason, even though it made sense to me and it was something I thought about before that experience, I was struck by it at that time and haven't forgotten it since.

Even though I felt small sliver of what it was like to be a minority, I came to realization that I would never fully appreciate what it was like for him or other minority groups in America. All of those multicultural experiences I have had and still have today will never fully allow to me to 100% understand and relate. I can always go back to being a white, straight male with health insurance and a paycheck in a white, straight man's country. There are others in my position who have had even less exposure or have never had the epiphany I did that evening. Therefore, when I hear comments like those, even though there may be this double standard that they can make prejudice comments but we can't, I can live with it.

Exhibit B:
Friday, November 7th, 2008

I am driving home from a meeting with my daughter's teacher and hear about my Browns losing their Thursday night game. The opponents wide receiver, Brandon Marshall, was talking about a planned celebration he had for after he scored. He was going to pay tribute to Obama's election by taking from the famous fists of Tommie Smith and John Carlos at the 1968 Olympics 40 years ago. He planned to hold his fist in the air but with a glove that was half white and half black. It was supposed to symbolize the coming together of white and black America.

What a great thing to see. It was a move based on unity not division and I had no problem with it. While I thought this move was clever and wished he did it, mainly it was because I wanted him to be penalized and provide Brady with good field position for a game winning drive.......nevermind.

Exhibit C:
Sometime during the week before the election, 2008

My friend's father-in-law drives a bus in a well-to-do suburb of Columbus and noticed one day that all of the kids were chanting "Let's go Bucks. Obama Sucks!" Obviously lots of McCainiacs for parents up there eh?

This is the attitude that scares me.

Exhibit D:
Thursday, November 6, 2008

I hear a kid run down the stairs telling a friend that they were all going to get $1,000 checks since Obama won. I don't think they were talking about the proposed economic stimulus package dems have on the table or the two that Bush pushed through over the past couple years, but that statement reflects what is being said at home and what bothers some people I have talked to.

So here is my fear. The obvious is that Republicans, conservatives, whites or general racists will have such a major problem with Obama that they will purposely sabotage things. Blacks and other minorities will suddenly believe things will automatically get better just because a minority is in the White House. They will feel that they will automatically receive benefits just because of this monumental election without joining in on the work that needs to take place across the board. What I am even more scared about is that many whites who have a problem with this will become so bitter that they deliberately avoid the work we ALL need to do to make this happen or even worse purposely oppose and resist it. Even though their spite is counterproductive to themselves, they will just not be able to get past it.

In the end everyone needs to pitch in here and cooperate. Whites and conservatives will have to resist the urge to fight the changes coming. Critics needs to maintain patience with the Obama administration as his decisions begin to come down the line. Supporters and minorities, black and white and democrat or independent need to continue to work at the grass roots level to fix this stuff.

We need to realize that NOW the work begins. And WE are the ones that need to do it. We can't sit here and expect change without changing ourselves. I pray enough people realize this to make up the critical mass we need to push things forward. (I prefer writing "we" more than "they" like did in that earlier paragraph)

We also need to take advantage of this opportunity before us. We have a black President. We do. Blacks and whites whether we voted for him or not. This could be a platform or a chance to open discussion about race between each other. It will be uncomfortable. It may sting a bit. But both sides need to be tactful but honest and able to take some views they don't want to hear. We both need to listen and be able to take some uncomfortable comments. This is discussion that HAS to happen to push the barrier down. The only way we can begin to live more harmoniously is to do this.

What excited me is that we have a leader that can provide leadership for this. He can be a beacon of hope. He can guide us though it as he, himself, openly discusses race. He seems like he understands this opportunity. He demonstrates a platform of unity and togetherness. He mentioned in his acceptance speech that it is time to bring together democrats, republicans, whites, blacks, gays, straight, rich, poor, able bodied, disabled. This is what I want to hear.

We have an extremely intelligent man in office. He "gets it." Most important to me, he can motivate and inspire us, the people who will make the difference in the end. I trust him.

One more thing: Don't screw with the BCS Mr. President. Let the sports degenerates deal with it.

8 comments:

Kathryn said...

Nice post Beau. I have to add one more observation from this week, that makes me a little less hopeful. In every state (I think there were three - including here in Florida) where there was an anti-equal rights Marriage laws on the ballot, it passed. So in a national election that shows so much promise for a new day, on the state level we just took a huge step back.

Then I heard this week - and I really hope this is incorrect - that these laws passed because of the higher than usual black voter turnout. I really hope this is false but if it's not, the irony is all too great.

Just one thing I thought should be added for perspective.

Huey said...

Yeah, those have flown under the radar. And it is interesting because they are contradicting all of this hopeful, positive speak. In reality, we are not taking a step forward but a step sideways?

And the high voter turnout for blacks leading to those....I can see where that is coming from but I am not so sure that it made a difference. Last time around in Ohio things didn't go for human rights and it apparently wasn't as high of a turnout for the black vote as this time.

That sounds like a whole other post.

Anonymous said...

I think it's your best post yet, Beau. Very thoughtful, very insightful.

Wise, even. :)

(And clearly coming from a more informed position than many who are spouting about this.)

Today, I took down my Obama lawn sign. A black man visiting a few doors down called out to me about the sign and waved with a smile, and I waved back. It was a good moment. So was Tuesday, spent with lots of people of color on the East side of Cleveland, which went 99-100 per cent for Barack. All of us hugged when we met, stranger or not.

But I also spent time in AZ and FL in the past two weeks, and have friends there and in CA, and they are broken-hearted. I think they feel betrayed, and after Issue One in 2004, I can understand why.

The Ohio issue passed because the evangelical and black votes turned out after the churches took this on. The UCC was out there on its own, as usual. :)

I do think there is a connection, although of course it's not the only reason Prop 8 won. I understand the African American vote was overwhelmingly against gay marriage.

This is a complex and sensitive issue and a source of pain for many gay folks. We really, really turned out, worked, and contributed to Barack's campaign. We were overjoyed that he won. Perhaps he will raise the level of discourse and reasoning, and in time things will be different.

Religion can do as much harm as good, I think.

Also, the gay movement urgently needs to look at its sexism (and classism, too). THAT'S a problem, I assure you! But still....

Anonymous said...

One more thought, Beau: you were raised in a faith that often said, "Do not fear."

So, as a reminder to both of us (especially since you learned a lot about fear from me), "Do not fear."

love
Mom

Kathryn said...

Mom, to your point about how gays really turned out and supported Obama - I do love that he mentioned gays in his speech. I loved it because he rattled it off with all the other demographics like it was no big deal (because it IS no big deal). That gives me hope in regards to him. I'm still sadden by the population of this country to not be as open minded as I would like (and I'm thinking of joing "Gays on Strike" this January in Florida), I think a step forward is still a step forward and I will celebrate Obama's win. And I will HOPE that he can inspire open-mindedness (is that a word) in all US citizens.

Kathryn said...

Correction:

I'm still sadden by the population of this country to not be as open minded as I would like (and I'm thinking of joing "Gays on Strike" this January in Florida), BUT I think a step forward is still a step forward and I will celebrate Obama's win.

I should know better than to have run on sentences - I always get lost half way through! And after I just gave you heat about it Beau!

Huey said...

YES! I love this discussion. My original intent was to focus on race but this topic is in the same vain and worth discussing. I am sure we can get back to race too. This discussion is hitting the overarching theme of discrimination.

It seems that Obama is very focused. his campaign was focused from the start on unity and pinning McSame to Bush. He never let up on that and I think it ultimately won the election for him. At the very least it turned many people on the fence his way after what has happened these past eight years, the last year in particular with the economy.

Therefore, I think he will remain focused on this unity thing and it is encouraging that he at least understands that unity means unity across the board not just in terms of race. Others don't. But he does and maybe this can open the eyes of those others.

The gay thing and its link to sexism is a post I have been meaning to write for a long time although it may be in a different context than you are writing mom. I should get to that. I find it contradicting to be blunt that the generalized (and that could get me in trouble...generalizing about a group) feeling in the black community is so anti-gay. Not only is it discriminating despite having been discriminated, there is also this contradicting idea regarding the act itself. But this is another post.

Unknown said...

Sorry I am only reading this now. I agree that this was Beau's best post ever. Great comments as well.