Saturday, November 15, 2008

Just Tie Your Shoes!

The other day I noticed a student had their shoes untied. This could lead to some unfortunate things like falling down the stairs and getting seriously hurt or beginning an escalating series of events between students ultimately ending in a fight and missed class time as well as another headache for me and administration to deal with that doesn't involve educating our youth which we are primarily paid to do.

You may think I am making too much of a simple untied shoe, but after a decade in the classroom you learn how "little thing" lead to big things more often than not. In this case, a loose shoe string may be stepped on by another student intentionally or unintentionally angering the student with the untied shoe. This leads to words of frustration towards the "culprit" creating a response that is rarely positive. Next thing you know people are talking about the other's mother and pushes follow with punches next and we end up with some conference in the office over all this stuff that has nothing to do with an untied shoe.

But to be completely honest, when I told the girl that her shoe laces were untied and she should tie them, I was thinking it was just a safe thing to do. I didn't want her face first in the ground at some point.

Well, God forbid I tell another person to do something!!! The look of disdain and complete resistance I received from this child was out of line. By no means was I disrespectful to this child. In fact. I thought I was helping her. How do I deserve this?

Here is my other problem: Let's say I didn't say anything. Or let's say I didn't persist until she finally tucked the lace in her shoe (mainly because a peer finally stepped in and said the obvious, "Just do it, it's not that big of a deal"). If she did end up tripping and falling down the stairs or getting in a fight because another kid stepped on the lace while she tried to take a step, who would mom or dad come barreling into school to blame? Me. Or her teacher. Or the principal. Oh, that wouldn't happen all the time, Huey. Uh, well, it happens a lot. It happens often at my school anyway and has for 9+ years at least. The majority of the time a student gets in a fight, the parent storms in and wants to know how we disciplined the other party in the fight. Their main focus is not on holding their child accountable for their part in the altercation, but in keeping us in check and making sure we are fair. It goes back to the lack of trust in our schools and the disconnect between parents and teachers.

I can only look at me. I can only control me. I need to focus on what I am doing. So i need to make sure I am putting forth the effort to communicate with parents from day one to help create the connection myself. There are things I can and need to do to fix this kind of problem. But to be honest, when I get the treatment from those students like this on a daily basis I just lose my motivation. I internalize the negative feelings I just received and feel horrible and downright apathetic. It becomes that much harder to go the extra mile. And I have a family. I want to spend my evenings with my wife and daughter. I need to spend time with them.

This is what cuts to the core of my displeasure with the current state of affairs in my life right now. I am tired of doing the right thing, or trying to, and somehow getting blamed for other people's lack of effort or resistance to me. I am tired of the resistance period. But then to get that resistance reinforced, frustrates me even more.

I mean, all I am doing is telling someone to do something that will benefit them! Why am I the bad guy here?

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Very interesting post, Beau. For an outsider to our Education issues like me, it's a very interesting observation. It also works as a microcosium for our society at large.

As I read this post, I thought about how I feel the same way about some of my coworkers or friends of mine. I watch them do stupid things and I shake my head. I'm not talking fun stupid things - stupid things that are self destructive and arbitrary (the equivilent of leaving your shoe untied in elementary school.)

You know what's gonna happen and you want to prevent it. But if you say something, suddenly you are the bad guy. If you don't say something, you're at blame for not stopping them.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think you are touching on something very interesting. And it doesn't just happen in elementary school - it happens everywhere.

Huey said...

First, you are not reading too much into it. Second, you are exactly right it is a microcosium of things at large

comoprozac said...

Ah, I remember those days.

You're missing the race and class element in your assessment. Some of those same kids who give you dirty looks or parents who question everything you do don't trust you b/c you're white and middle class. There's not a lot you can do about it except keep plugging away. If you are consistent and fair, your students and parents will learn to trust you.

Those who won't trust you may not be capable of trusting anyone.

I wouldn't take it so personally. If that student is worked up over you suggesting she tie her shoes, she has way bigger problems than some dragging laces.

Just ask her again to tie her shoes and keep teaching.

Anonymous said...

Yes.. don't take this personally.. Not sure how the conversation went.. but her reaction was probably from a "Student vs Teacher or Kid vs Adult" mindset.. She didn't want to tie her shoe because you as a teacher ordered her to... in front of her friends. Only when her friend lifted the peer pressure, did she oblige. Next time address the situation as "I noticed your shoe is untied.. careful not to trip." I would almost guarantee a better response... because tying her shoe would be her "own decision"...and In the student's mind, you're basing the conversation on your concern.. not your power.

Tying this into your original post.. Your frustrated about the resistance you're getting.. I can send you some stuff on "power and influence" and ways to get things done..from a class I took at work. This has really helped me out being in management.. It's not about winning the battle.. but getting the outcome you desire (even if the other person "thinks" they are winning). These methodologies work great on kids..and I see a difference on how my own kids respond when I need to reprimand them.. when I think ahead and remember to use the stuff.. and not just fly off the handle.

-Mike

comoprozac said...

Mike, I'd like to hear how you would handle this situation. It sounds like we would have similar approaches. My suspicion is that you would ask the student a carefully worded question or two in order to get her to come to the correct conclusion on her own, empowering her to make the decision.

J, I think you would like this approach. M, my apologies if I'm wrong.