Saturday, November 22, 2008

The End Justifies The Means?

Are you a believer in the old saying, "The end justifies the means?" I think I am. There are limits of course. I believe each situation is unique and needs to be examined on a case by case basis. What about when rule breaking comes into the picture?

On the morning of The Game I should be blogging about this rivalry game between Ohio State and nagihcim. In fact I should have been all week like my buddy did here. But I have had heavier things on my brain of late. Regardless of that team's horrible record this game is still important and big and anyone can win. In fact it would not surprise one bit if that team came down here and beat us due to this very fact and that the whole world isn't giving them a chance. Despite this, I am consumed with other things, so let's continue:

I am curious what people think about this concept of the end justifying the means. I am widely considered a good person. I think that I am. I try to do things that are "right" and "good." My relationship with my daughter's mother is an example of my efforts to "be the better man" and put any and all bitterness behind me. So much of what I do regarding my kid is based in what is right more than what I want even though I admit I haven't held true to this every time. I try to be good not perfect.

I find myself in a position right now where I can do something that is beneficial in my mind for someone I love dearly. The issue here is that it breaks the rules. I am 100% aware that I would break these rules to do this. I know exactly what I am doing and have no hesitation to do it. I feel no guilt whatsoever. Honesty is important, but in this case, I don't mind being dishonest. I am willing to pay the consequences....assuming these consequences are what I think they are. (In the words of former Cardinals' head coach Dennis Green: "They are who we thought they were...AND WE LET THEM OFF THE HOOK!!")

I firmly believe in this case that the end justifies the means. Nobody is technically getting hurt. Nobody is benefiting in a superficial, shallow way. The benefit is life altering for the better (if I could only be more dramatic, geez) without any real harm being done to get it. It is something that is done all the time for nothing more than convenience. In my case, it is not for convenience but something deeper. But of course, anyone who breaks a rule or law has their own justification for it. In their mind, they are right. What is it about mine that is more justified than theirs? Rules and laws are there for a reason, right? Plus, I am not saying that I am not breaking any rules, I admit I am. I'm saying my case trumps those rules. I choose not to get into details publicly, but my logic here is sound. I have thought this through and feel comfortably justified in this logic.

Now, no decision has been made. There are other options. I plan to study every option. My fear is that these other options are not attainable. Therefore, I am setting my sights on this "rule breaking" option. There is still a good bit of time ahead and calls to be made and ideas to be hatched before I make a decision. I also need to let go of my controlling nature and allow other vested interests get their say. But for the sake of discussion, does the end justify the means to you? Do I forfeit my "good guy" badge for intentionally breaking the rules even when I feel there is a greater purpose here? Do I get a mulligan here and allow myself to be dishonest.

I think so.

Above all, my loved ones come first. Even before honesty and rule following.

4 comments:

comoprozac said...

I'm intrigued about what this could be. What you have to look at is what are the additional effects of your actions? Sure, you have one result in mind that justifies your actions no matter how amoral, unethical they may be, but have you considered other effects that may result from your actions?

For example, let's say the "means" involve lying to a loved one. You lie and something great happens, but your loved one feels deceived and is unsure whether he/she can trust you. You have to be willing to accept negative results as well. Let's say you're breaking the law for a good cause. You have to be prepared to go to jail or serve time, no matter what good you may have created in the process.

Either way, good luck with whatever it is you are attempting to undertake. I hope you'll share once it's all over.

Anonymous said...

Also not sure. In my own life, I really don't see rules like "The end justifies the means" or "the good of the many outweigh the good of the one" as absolute. More so, I take it on a case by case basis. If you are analyzing the best path, make sure you don't just evaluate the "ends" on a superficial basis.. Like comoprozac thinks... Sure the action may end up benefiting this other person, but what would be the damage to your self respect, credibility and trust with others.. for future situations? And it seems as your self confidence is fragile.

Make sure you also don't justify this action by using "end/means philosophy" because you are avoiding some sort of confrontation needed to directly handle the situation.

Not sure what to say with the limited info on the situation.. also not sure about the legal situation without more info. On the other hand, just because you break a law does not always mean that you are breaking your integrity... maybe I would agree that your potential action is justified.

Sorry, not much help

-Mike

Huey said...

Good comments fellas. Don't feel as though you need to "help" in this matter. The decision is already made. I felt as though this could prompt some interesting discussion. Unfortunately, my vagueness hurts the depth or specificity in which we could go.

I am considering all of the effects. The negative consequences would result in what I'd do if I didn't "break the rule." Basically, it would put me back to square one. So I figured it was worth the risk.

Honestly, the main issue is with the wife. She doesn't like it because it is dishonest and contradictory to our professions. Her point is well taken but I think the greater good far outweighs this dishonesty. A number of people in my profession agree, support and even encourage the decision.

I don't consider this any worse than driving 80 on the freeway and telling the officer you thought you were going 70. This isn't all that exciting.

But the topic seems interesting to me.

comoprozac said...

Really? This is intriguing. The voyeur in me wants to know more, but I'll wait to hear more about it later.