Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It's That Time of Year Again

This blog began at the genesis of this year, 2008. I have used it repeatedly to share my opinion, reflections, frustrations and joys. But the timing has not allowed me to write about something I hold very dear to my heart. Something I have been able to only scratch the surface of thus far in my blog. This wonderful, fulfilling, action packed, emotionally pulsating, roller coaster of a ride with drama, physicality, strategy, glory, sorrow, pain and anticipation is the not baseball, not basketball, not hockey, not tennis, not golf but football. Sweet, sweet, football.

Many friends of mine know my intense passion for this game and my teams. Most share the same feelings with varying degrees of intensity. Our conversations routinely morph into topics of football no matter where we try to start. Most of the time we just get right to the point and debate our ideas of roster moves and needs and coaching strategies or assessments of the above. To paraphrase my brother who may not even remember saying this: "There are three things in this world I love. My wife, my daughter and SPORTS! (To the chant of charge!) Sports, sports, sports, sports...." Of course, those were my words in place of his but with the same passion and voracity. Today, football goes in the "sports" slot of that famous line. I love baseball and basketball. But football is just so much better. The late George Carlin loved to lay out the toughness of the sport compared to baseball, but that is one of many aspects that put football at the top of the list.





Let me get to my point: The offseason provided many headlines for my Browns that I could have written about. The draft is always fun to watch even with no picks for my team until the third round (thanks to a Day 2 trade). The Spring Game in Columbus is a scrimmage teaser for those of us feening for the sport we love. But with my beloved Cavs fighting for a playoff run, I was more interested in sharing those thoughts at those times. So now my football discussion can and will begin in earnest.

Today marks the opening of Browns training camp. Plenty of new faces dawn the practice fields in Berea. Phil Savage has gone out of his way to sign much needed help on the defensive side of the ball. Shaun Rogers (Lions) and Corey Williams (Packers) will help out on the line. This improvement should allow the defense as a whole to improve as a steady pass rush will create more and better opportunities for the linebackers and secondary to do their jobs better. Donte Stallworth was an important acquisition with the injury to Joe Jurevicius. Resigning Jamal Lewis was important as well. The offensive line was the best its been since Kosar was behind the line in 1986. Cribbs has the return game looking good and Dawson is solid.

I would like to see another RB signed to add some needed depth there. Lewis is injury prone and while our current guys are good in spot duty, I just don't feel they can carry the load for several games if Lewis goes down. The defensive backfield scares me the most. I hope Romeo can scheme his way through the passing offenses we face this year or McDonald ends up being a stud. I am not too confident in either.

Overall, the schedule is not kind to the Browns this season. They won't be sneaking up on anybody either. We may be better than last year and still finish with a worse record. But the division just may be weak this year as well which means a worse record may still get them in the playoffs as ironic as that may sound. With that said, the AFC North will probably be dominant and the Browns will go 5-11.

(Notice no Brett Favre in that post?)

The Buckeyes have just about everybody returning this year outside of Vernon Gohlstein. I still think they have one of the best coaches in college football. The Big Ten will still be weak. There is no reason they shouldn't make it through the season, except unexpected injuries, with more than one or two losses. The problem is, with the past two disappointments in the BCS National Championship to the SEC, they are considered overrated throughout the nation. They will need to go undefeated with convincing wins over USC, nagihcim and any other surprise team (see Illinois last year) AND hope there is only one other undefeated team to even get a shot for the third straight year.

Doesn't it demonstrate how powerful the Buckeye football program is by the fact that they have been in three National Championships in six years with several other BCS bowls in between? Wow. And the recruits keep coming.

Boeckman should be solid with a whole season behind him. Wells has proven he can rush the football. The receiving corps are solid. The defense is experienced and talented. Don't let the national media fool you either....they are fast. Their 40 times are just as quick as the speedy Pac 10 or SEC. As much as I love Tressel he needs a defensive coach who can scheme better for spread offenses. They need to convert on third downs in big games better. I almost wish he would go back to old school Tressel ball that everybody hated and slow the game down to a brutal turtle pace. But the defense needs to be dominant. The verdict is out on that. With the experience and talent, one would think they will be.

Carson Palmer has initiated the talk with his anti-Buckeye talk. The first punch has been thrown. I know more is to come. I love it. This game is going to be so hyped. It will make the OSU/Texas games look like week one, nonconference cupcake games (see UM v. App St.....uhhhhhhhh no, don't. Doesn't really fit my example. But its fun to be reminded of it isn't it?) I can't wait. I just hope our Buckeyes take the high road and keep their mouths shut only saying the company line, "USC is a great team. Coach Carroll is a great coach. Just look at all their trophies. I'm just glad we get a chance to play them and see how we match up. It will be a true test of where we are and where we need to be." Let the fans and alumni say all the trash.

So this is the first of many posts regarding my true love. Football. I pray my teams are exciting and relevant all the way to January. Otherwise, my wife is in for many depressing weeks ahead from me. Mondays are never fun in the Huey household after a loss. Even if one of the teams won. This year some of those Mondays will be Tuesdays. Needless to say I haven't had many good autumn Monday in years!

1 comment:

comoprozac said...

The Browns will win 9 or 10 and sneak into the playoffs. I have faith.

The Buckeyes' season all comes down to the USC game. Win and they find themselves in the NC...and I can't imagine this group losing for a third time in a row. Maybe they'll get Oklahoma.

If they lose, no one will allow them to make the NC game. They'll finish third and play in the Rose...possibly against the Trojans.