Sunday, July 20, 2008

MMA and Young Children

ESPN's Outside the Lines ran a story this morning (Sunday, July 20) on the growing popularity of Mixed Martial Arts and its effect on young children joining the sport. This prompted a great opportunity to debate the ethics of introducing kids to such a violent sport at an early age.

Mixed Martial Arts is the new boxing. It is gaining mass popularity within the male 18-35 demographic. I admit that even myself, a passive, nonconfrontational guy has found some mild interest in it. I would prefer watching it over boxing for example. There is something appealing about guys beating their brains in although I would never want to do it myself. I also have a little person on my shoulder telling me there is something wrong about it.

The ethical argument regarding MMA in general is one I choose not to blog about here. Instead I'd like to reflect on the ethics of youths' participation in MMA. There are physical and mental/emotional questions to be answered regarding this subject.

For example in terms of the physical aspects of MMA, do we want to allow our children to participate in an activity in which the risk of injury is high? The injuries could also be very serious. The types of stress and movement required are not good for growing, developing bodies. But we promote football which is a physical sport. Also, with obesity among our youth and general population in the U.S. on the rise along with the number of hours we all play video games or watch tv instead of doing physical activity, shouldn't we be looking for more active experiences for our children? Isn't MMA another avenue to pursue? Many kids don't like sports but enjoy this kind of activity. So why disallow it?

Mentally and emotionally, are kids ready to handle the brutality of beating another human being to a pulp and intentionally hurting them or submitting them? Is it a good thing to teach this aggressive way of thinking? Don't we want to avoid that and limit or discourage that behavior in our society? But doesn't violence already exist anyway and the best way to avoid it or handle it is to be prepared to defend or protect yourself? If done right, doesn't this provide a structured way to educate youth how to handle confrontation and build confidence that they can handle a confrontation appropriately no matter how it ends up? See Karate Kid.

Obviously there are two sides to this issue. Quite frankly, the guy representing the pro-MMA side didn't convince me with his argument at all. That could be because there is no substantial evidence or reasoning to prove to me that MMA is good for young kids. So after watching the so called debate on OTL with Bob Ley, I felt the same way I did going in. Once again, I am riding the fence.

I love the idea of providing more excuses for youth to exercise and get involved in an activity. Studies have shown for a long time that getting involved in things is generally positive for kids whether it is swimming, football, drama, band or any other organized group. My wife and I (as well as my daughter's mother), intentionally get my daughter signed up for various things for this reason. Socialization is important. Exposure to different interests is positive. Learning different skills is a bonus. There is that fine line between exposing and pushing too hard that my wife and I are trying to walk with her but we feel we do this by not forcing here into anything and not requiring success. We also have valued variety through soccer, swimming, skill building, speech, library visits, zoo visits, amusement parks, parks in general, bike riding and more as we plan to enroll her in dance, tumbling and other varied activities.

So I like the angle that it gives an physical activity for kids to enjoy. I also like the "idea" of teaching self-defense and using this avenue to teach methods of handling confrontation without violence first. But this is where things get blurry. Many forms of martial arts have already been doing that for years, decades, centuries I would think. MMA is taking those art forms and infusing the violence, not teaching how to avoid it. The proponents can try to work the Martial Arts angle of self-defense all they want, but really...who's buying it? I am not. Granted, I have never set foot in a MMA match or gym so I have no idea what really goes on in there. It could be liked wild, caged dogs trying to kill each other (a la Mike Vick) or it could be instructors teaching the values of self-defense as a last resort. I tend to lean more to the violent approach.

I also worry about the physical harm we are risking with our youth when we have them perform the moves and holds that are part of MMA. The bones are not yet fully grown. The muscles aren't mature. The brain is yet to develop fully. The physical abuse and wear and tear grown adult fighters go through is bad enough. The last fight I saw had one guy bleeding profusely from his head to the point that the mat was soaked in red. It was kinda cool, but brutal. I couldn't imagine a child dealing with that.

I think it is good to teach kids the value of discipline, training, setting goals, dealing with scary situations, working hard, gaining confidence, exercise, keeping a healthy body and handling defeat or victory with honor. These are important things. I think sports in general do this. While I agree that MMA can help promote and teach these, it borders on using the wrong methods to do so unleashing a monster along with these values. Kids may not comprehend what is being taught correctly and become more likely to grow into violent, aggressive, egotistical meatheads that handle everything with physical intimidation, the lowest of intelligence.

Once again, I think things come down to the parenting of the child. I am not going to judge parents who are trying to do what's right. I understand there can be positives taken from this, but it is absolutely critical that the parents are highly involved and making sure the kids are not taking this the wrong way. I worry that won't happen. I worry that most parents allowing their kids to be in MMA at a young age are doing it for the wrong reasons. But that happens in other sports too. Football is glorified while displaying many of the same problems that I am claiming MMA will.

There should be an age requirement for the safety of the children. Or there should be major limits put on what is allowed and not allowed in competition. These are musts in my mind. Coaches or instructors should really teach alternative methods to handling confrontation and promote it and value it legitimately and seriously. Again though, I just worry that the two can't go hand in hand despite what the proponents of MMA say.

MMA is not going to go away. It is growing and hasn't even peaked. But if we are going to allow our kids to get involved, it needs to be regulated in a major way. And our kids who join need to be more mature and grown that we are allowing now.

6 comments:

comoprozac said...

I agree with the regulations. I don't want to be the guy who says it should be outlawed. Of course, my kid will never participate in MMA.

Huey said...

Yeah, sounds like we are on the same page. The more I think about this, the more I lean towards outlawing it up to 17 or something like that but as you said, I don't want to get to the point of saying we should outlaw things I don't know enough about.

So it comes down to my situation and my kids and I, too, won't enroll my child.

comoprozac said...

The only other problem I would have would be if the fighting style left the ring. Of course, the good thing about organized sport is that the participants learn to respect safety. For example, kids who belong to gun clubs know how to handle a weapon. Kids who are in wrestling programs rarely take kids down while at recess. The day a kid kicks another child in the chest in a school hallway, is the day I might reconsider.

Anonymous said...

I read your blog a couple days ago and for the most part I normally don’t engage in these forums for debate, but some of the things that you wrote about I just can’t let go of. First I think it important to state that I did not see the story in ESPN’s Outside the lines so I can not specifically comment on that, but rather offer up my opinion based on my personal experience with MMA and primarily the Martial arts.
Now, in the opening paragraph you offered the opportunity to debate the ethics of introducing kids to, as you put it, “such a violent sport at an early age.” What age are you speaking of? You being an educator and a parent I’m sure you know better than I the benefit of starting a child in anything at an early age. The sooner the better I’m sure you will agree, regardless of the activity, will afford a higher probability of proficiency whether it be the piano, painting, mathematics, or MMA/ Martial arts.
If I am understanding the question, if there truly is one there, is how young is too young? Very good question and in my experience I would say that it depends on several factors all equally important and relevant. Was Tiger Woods too young to be swinging a golf club when his father shot those now famous home movies of him? Was Tiger’s father better suited to develop his son then other fathers? Secondly, is the person providing the training, regardless of the activity, best prepared to deal with a particular age group and how exactly was that individuals’ preparation relevant to the development of the child as a whole person. Thirdly, the question regarding ethics- is the individual able to best provide the discipline dealing with good and evil along with moral duty, furthermore being able to instill socially acceptable moral principles and practices? I will attempt to address each of these points one at a time.
I would think that Tiger, evaluated individually and not compared to a “average” expectation, was perhaps at the perfect age for his individual ability and talent. I think you would agree that he was not too young at all based on his obvious success to date. Not being a kinesthesilogist I don’t know the exact stresses that the movement involved in a 300+ yard drive places on the body, but I’m sure any movement repeated hundreds, if not thousands of time would carry some risk of injury if the individual is not properly instructed. I think that maybe, Tigers father had a strong appreciation for teaching sound fundamental movement allowing his son to develop into the talent that he is today. Also, I’m sure that once his son reached a level of performance greater than the father’s ability to teach, (knowing the dangers of assuming) - would have sought counsel for Tiger’s further development. Granted, I know that golf hardly carries the same level of risk of injury as MMA/Martial Arts does, but that would only reinforce the need for a qualified teacher and a receptive pupil with a strong support group to provide a balance to internalize those fundamentals so as to promote longevity for the practitioner both physically and mentally.
As far as the ethical question goes, I too struggle with that one, not because of my understanding of a combat system, but because of my lack of understanding of the human mind. Keep in mind the definition of ethics and keep in mind the origins of MMA. Modern MMA is a specialized sport not unlike boxing or football which you mentioned. The original MMA tourneys of yesterday where tests of skill and aptitude in hand to hand combat, archery, and swordsmanship et al.. I’m sure you know that Martial Arts if looked at completely is the study of warfare, most of which is tactics and strategy. What we popularly recognize as Martial Arts is only one aspect of the development of the warrior. I think that it is this that draws not just males 18-35, but most to explore such a discipline- the development of the warrior. I’m sure you’ve heard of a time that it was common place to sit and watch two factions battle in mortal combat as entertainment. The thought of that still blows my mind. What does that say about who and what we are? I digress.

In terms of the physical aspects regarding the risk of MMA I think it no more dangerous the climbing a tree to any height taller than ten feet, swimming, biking on a public road, or exploring and discovering the world much like children have done in the past, and I’m pretty sure will continue in the future. You mentioned football, swimming, tumbling and soccer. I’m sure if you were to look at the fatalities in those sports, I’m sure research will reveal that the incidents are much higher than in sanctioned MMA/Martial Arts competitions. I think the reason being is the aspect of self discipline has a far greater emphasis placed on it then in those other activities (all of which I have also participated in) you mentioned. Granted one has a lower, much lower in some cases, risk of getting punched in the face playing soccer than in MMA/Martial Arts, but the fact that self control is one of the primary emphases of training in such disciplines. I remember that one of the phrases that I, and other instructors used in the many Martial Arts classes that I have taught was- “Having control means never having to say you’re sorry.” Amazingly to me, it always seemed that the children’s classes took it more to heart then the adults, for the rate of injury was always higher with the adults. Always.

As far as your point in asking the mental and emotional ability of a child to handle the “brutality of beating another human being to a pulp” as you put it, I think it the interpretation of the discipline of the instructor that would make it brutal. The use of your lingua franca concerns me. I think perhaps it is a misunderstanding and lack of experience that allows such candor and is indicative of the cultural perversion of sport/art once mixed with business.

Don’t think of MMA/ Martial Arts as an excuse, but rather an avenue for physical activity.

As far MMA taking and infusing violence into ancient disciplines is perhaps again a lack of experience with such traditions. Any MMA/ Martial Arts practitioner will tell you that what they do is not done for the sake of violence, but for competition. MMA/Martial Arts instructors never (and if never is to broad a generalization- seldom) open a training facility with the mindset of “I’m gonna train me a bunch of kids to go out and kick ass”, but rather “I love this and I want to pass along my passion to others”.

As far as you concern of the risks to the still developing skeletal and muscular anatomy of children, again it is to the instructor/teacher and parent to accurately evaluate the student/child and determine whether, or not he/she is best suited to perform certain movements or techniques. A gymnastic coach would not teach a five year old the same movements as a 10 year old for the concerns you mentioned. I don’t suspect that you as an educator would take a twelve year old and enter him/her into tenth grade classes? Unless of course the individual displayed an above average aptitude. Or would you?

At one point you referenced the Karate Kid. I mention this because you stated that “MMA can help promote” certain desirable characteristics in a child, but you expressed concern that it uses “the wrong methods to do so unleashing a monster along with these values”. If you think back to that classic piece of 80’s film genre you should remember a scene in which the inquietude of youth rears it impatient head and the character of Daniel-san pesters Mr. Miagi asking him why it is he trains to fight and Mr. Miagi responds so that he doesn’t have to. I firmly believe that this higher level of consideration is what will guard from what you fear. It’s never the people that know what they are doing that you have to worry about, it’s the ones that don’t that should scare you; and you are absolutely correct when you say that in this aspect it comes down to the parenting of the child. But I don’t imagine that you are saying that someone or something has the authority to tell people who has the right to have children or how it is that they should be raised because of a proclivity for certain athletic pursuits? Not to mention that the desirable characteristics that you acknowledge MMA/Martial Arts instill in its practitioners is contradictory to what constitutes a monster.

There are age requirements. I don’t know of any school in North East Ohio, or the whole state for that matter, that will take in a student under the age of five. I also happen to know that before, any of the schools in Lake county accept a student, the owner/ head instructor will sit and conduct and evaluation as to why the students wants to study MMA/ Martial Arts and if it is suspected that one’s intentions are less than honorable, or something is amiss at home they will not accept the student. This is in large part due to legal ramifications. This is also a tradition that has withstood the test of time and culture. Believe it, or not while the European sat around and watched each other stand in formation and take turns shooting each other before rushing towards one another with bayonets drawn- one had to prove his worthiness to partake in such “brutal” practices, because there is honor in doing what others lack the courage to do. Therefore, it will self regulate. I think it is that courage that draws us as a whole.

Huey said...

Thank you Office Ninja.....

My objective with this blog as a whole is to create this kind of discussion. For me, and ignorant observer of UFC, I know very little of Martial Arts or MMA as a whole. I learned a lot from your comment.

I am pleased and comforted to read what you wrote regarding Martial Arts and its emphasis on character development and so on. It sounds like there are already things in place regarding age and other regulations for the overall safety and growth of the child.

Is it correct to assume there is a difference between Martial Arts and MMA? Is there a difference between MMA and UFC? My negative slant towards this art form in the post was more in reaction to UFC. As I said, I am rather hypocritical because I have watched and enjoyed those fights. But I worry kids are too young for that type of fighting.

I assume Martial Arts is different from what I see on UFC. I have the upmost respect for what you were describing in your comment. I think much of what you were describing is more of a martial arts thing. I have a much different opinion regarding this than what I see on UFC. I think a young age is ok for most martial arts.

I think I should have been more clear in my post. Much of the negative slant came from UFC observations. The matches and You Tube clips I see are awfully violent.

I really think you hit a great point when you said that the instructor is a critical key in this equation. A parent would have to trust that the instructor is, in fact, knowledgeable in the physical requirements and the whole art form of Martial Arts and teaches it in a way that is appropriate. I would think most instructors are qualified to teach it in this way.

So my question is....am I generalizing UFC to the whole discipline of MMA?

Huey said...

I also want to add that in my post, I mentioned the fact that I would like an outlet for my child that involves discipline, physical activity, confidence building, respect and strategies to AVOID physical confrontations. I get a vibe that the Martial Arts experience you had did that. If that is in fact the case and it is physically safe for young bodies, I have absolutely no problem with it.

I just don't know if the stuff I see in the UFC is like that. It seems like UFC takes this and makes it something it isn't.

I see people who watch it and it seems like the violent aspects of UFC are glorified and nothing positive is taken from it.