Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Is this Fatigue?

Let me tell you...this post is all about me unleashing some venom.

I am really cranky, irritable, and tense. I don't want to work on this house anymore. I feel like we have been racing to get things done for months now and we still have so much more to go. I thought I'd feel some satisfaction from crossing off things on the to do list but each thing that gets scratched off turns into two or even three other things to do!!!

Also, I feel guilty because there have been numerous people helping out. My wife is doing more than I am doing. Her expectations are a bit higher than mine. Her parents have helped out tremendously with their expertise. As I blogged before, fixing things is not my forte. I need much help and education. So I shouldn't be so tired of this.

In addition to the frustration over the amount of work, we have spent a tremendous amount of money on these things. If I have to watch my wife buy any more flowers, paint, brushes, light bulbs, blue tape, box cutters, door stops, carpet, carpet padding, floor tiles, glue, light fixtures, towel racks, top soil, grass seed, pipes and pieces for pipes I never heard of or knew about, and so on...I will gouge my eyeballs out slowly and mercilessly. I can't even pay for this because I am dead broke. Ok, ok not really broke, but broke after the bills are paid. Nobody's filing for bankruptcy here.

So far my vacation has consisted of ripping out bushes and mini-trees, growing grass. pulling weeds and planting a garden, pulling more weeds, cleaning the shutters, painting the garage, three bedrooms, outside trim, pulling off wallpaper in the basement, painting that basement, fixing two bathroom sinks, putting up a towel rack, taking down and putting up two light fixtures, fixing two three lights, getting new carpeting, fixing baseboards and putting in three new vents, boxing up clutter and taking out furniture not used anymore, finding a plumber to fix the leaks we didn't get, calling to get bulk trash pickup and then finding out we have to dump most of it somewhere ourselves, hearing nobody will help with the shutters leaving us to deal with them despite the fact that they are too high up for our ladder, dealing with a misquote by the stupid people at Home Depot and still going back to fix another mistake they made on the price, dealing with the nickel and dime crap they put us through with the charges for installation (easy one time charge of $199 my ass!) and planning with the wife and in-laws how to do it all.

And I still have to paint the back exterior steps, plant more grass, level more of the backyard, paint the rest of the garage, move furniture while the carpet people install because moving furniture wasn't in their contracted amount, figure out how to rid ourselves of the piles of trash in our garage, fix the smoke alarm and CO2 alarm, fix the front outdoor water socket, fix the back patio exterior outlet, seal the driveway, steamclean the basement carpet, paint my daughter's room, clean the place up and down and more that I have forgotten.

I'm really pissed off.

My poor daughter is getting bored and my patience with her is nonexistent. Her mom takes her all over the midwest to amusement parks, county fairs to ride rides and meanwhile we have her watch us work. We try to let her help us paint, she loves that, but she drips it all over the place. I am trying not to take it out on her or my wife but they are getting the brunt of it.

I am glad this is happening when we have time, the summer. To think how stressed I would be if I was teaching through all of this? Missing my football on the weekends? Oh my, my, my. To think if I had to do this on my income alone? Fortunately, my wife makes enough to pay for this while I keep cranking out the monthly bills and debts. We haven't had to put any of this on credit cards.

This was my attempt at venting....exhale.



Ok, I feel better now. Tomorrow is a new day. Day of more work...but new attitude.

6 comments:

comoprozac said...

You realize that this will never end, don't you? Just wait until your next home.

comoprozac said...

Oh and I forgot that it's great you are employing child labor to get all this done. Classy.

Huey said...

Oh yes, a point I forgot to make. V has made it perfectly clear that this is only the beginning of a life filled with this.

And yes, the kid's gotta earn her keep!

Anonymous said...

There's a reason why I rent. Actually, you named about 100 of them :)

comoprozac said...

But you're giving your money away. A house is the best investment you can make.

We made some improvements on our first home and sold it two years later for a sizable profit which allowed us to move into a considerably larger home.

Anonymous said...

well, huey, i have to say it: you take after your dad! :)

his goal in life - and he'll confirm this for you - was to earn enough money to hire all those things done.

but your house is looking better and better all the time, and I think the pictures of you are GREAT!

don't worry about the little one - she just wants to be with you, and you don't have to take her to expensive places. honest.