Thursday, January 24, 2008

Best Buckeye QB Ever

My buddy Chad (aka C-Murder) brought up an interesting topic of discussion today and we thought it would be fun to post for more to join.

He mentioned that he disagreed with all the people who claim Troy Smith was the best QB in OSU history. So I bit.

Let me preface this by stating that my frame of reference only encompasses the QBs from the balding Greg Frey era on and even the Frey years (and immediate years following) are kind of hazy. But it can also be said that QBs from the pre-Cooper days were limited in comparison to the signal callers of today. The three yards and a cloud of dust style of Woody and Bruce keep QBs from putting up the same numbers as the men under center nowadays. I am aware of the great Rex Kern and Art Schliester, but don't know enough to do them justice. I just know there was a lot of option plays back then.

We began the deabte by comparing Smith to Krenzel. He obviously took Krenzel and I took Smith since I am not a racist against the black quarterback. Chad is a closet Rush Limbaugh fan.

No. I'm kidding.

For real, that has nothing to do with anything. We were taking sides for the sake of debate.
I think first of all we need to agree upon our definition of a "best QB." What is the criteria? Wins? Clutch plays? Leadership? Off the field problems? Stats? And what stats matter? And the players they played with play a role too, right? Does winning the Heisman itself matter or have we already accounted for that by taking the attributes that won him that trophy into account already?

I'm gonna pass on the stats for now but I am willing to bet off the cuff that Smith has better numbers than Krenzel. And I remember how hard it was to watch that offense that year. Krenzel just wasn't that good, or was his hands tied by Tressel's conservative mindest? Or was his mindset conservative because Krenzel wasn't that good? Chicken or the egg?
Both guys seemed to be leaders, especially on the field. Was Smith's problems off the field taking money from boosters and beating up students outside north campus dorms take from his leadership? Krenzel was getting a degree in microbiology when he wasn't leading on the field.
I feel like Troy was better on the field because the offense was much better with him at the helm than with Krenzel. But is that because Smith has more weapons? Both QBs could run, but Smith was more athletic and explosive. Krenzel was clutch. Let's enjoy reliving the the pass to Jenkins against Purdue. The big throws in the Fiesta Bowl in '03 ('02 season). Other big plays in nailbiter games that season. But what about Smith's BIG games every year against UM or Bowl games.

And this brings me to an interesting point. His final game was BAD. He never won a ring. Krenzel did. Bottom line.

This debate can go on and I hope it does. There is more for me to say but somehow I got most of this deleted once already and don't want to risk that again. Plus I'm tired.

How about Joe Germaine?

4 comments:

comoprozac said...

Stats? Smith's numbers were way better than Krenzel and they are comparible to many OSU greats.

Championships? Yes, Krenzel and Kern won NC's. But consider this: Was Trent Dilfer a better quarterback than Dan Marino? Or even Warren Moon? No. So, the NC doesn't necesarily mean that Krenzel is superior.

Michigan? 3-0 is hard to dispute. We all know that no other game means more to OSU fans than the last regular season game, not the bowl game.

Smith is easily the greatest Buckey QB.

Anonymous said...

I'm w/ comoprozac. I watched Joe G that Rose Bowl year. Bobby Hoying was sweet. Belesari and Stan Jack. Craig Krenzel managed a great game. Troy Smith WON games for OSU. I went to the NC game vs. Florida. That is the only bad game I saw Troy Smith play and he looked FAT. I even heard there was a huge scuffle between seniors and underclassmen cause the seniors were cocky, underpreparing and partying tween Mich. game and NC game. Either way, name a qb that beat Mich. 3 times in a row (in the fashion he did too), won a heisman, went to the NC game and put the numbers up he did. I can't comment on Art schlichter, Les Horvath or Greg Frey or Rex Kern. If you have any doubts about Troy Smith as the greatest OSU QB ever, watch his Michigan games. 2004 - incredible!

Huey said...

My opinion? Troy Smith in a landslide. How do you measure success at OSU? Winning, beating Mich and winning presigious bowl games like the National Championship. Smith may have looked bad in the Fla game but he dominated against mich and won the other bowl games he played in not to mention a Heisman and a TON of games overall. He was a leader, playmaker and had great numbers.

If only he could have played better. I want to know what the vibe was at the NC when we played Fla? That game was like running into a brick wall at 60 mph.

Huey said...

I meant to add in the last paragraph of my comment that if he only played better in the National Championship.