Saturday, May 30, 2009

Reflections On God And Control

I had a thought about the origin of God cross my mind the other day. I texted this thought to a number of people and received a number of interesting reflections.

My thought was that God is just a manifestation of humans' need for control. By control I mean the ability to influence events to achieve a preferred outcome as well as the ability to know the unknown.

Lack of control is a scary thing. There are a number of things that are out of our control including our mortality and the behavior of other people. This lack of control also involves the unknown. When something is unknown to you, in essence you don't have control of it.

The human experience has a vast number of things we cannot control or do not know. As we have evolved, we have learned a good bit and some of the unknown has become known like the microbiology and astronomy and so on. But we still can't control our mortality. As hard as we try to control other people, and in some cases, are able to get people to behave in a preferred manner, in the end it is their brain that dictates what they do.

So we create this deity called God.

This God is represents this control. Through the existence of God, we can feel like we have some sort of control over our mortality. We can do good while alive and enter a place called heaven. Death becomes much less scary inevitable.

Many times I will hear people talk about their lack of control. They will say that they can't control other people or the outcome of certain things. So they will give it to the universe. Or they will try to let it go and avoid wasting time worrying about it. Finally, many say they will turn it over to God. Because, as I said, God can control it and will take care of it.

We can also use God and the idea of heaven and its counterpart, hell, to influence others' actions. Those people out there that may do harmful things to us or the ones we love can be swayed otherwise by the deterrent that if they do, they will suffer eternal damnation. It helps our grieving and pain to feel like someone who does us wrong will pay the consequences for it.

The concept of God goes much, much deeper than this. The various religions have created these intricate frameworks from which to experience God and these frameworks explain away countless other detailed "unknowns" that exist beyond death and ethics.

My text message never got this in depth. But four people who responded did. There were a number of interesting points they made.

The first point from my mom was that God represented a parent-like figure for her. Obviously, not everybody has had the same experience with their parental figures. So what this means for one may mean something different for another. Traditionally speaking though, parents are though of as warm, loving caregivers who offer guidance.

This is a warm, fuzzy way to look at God. But at the same time, it doesn't disprove my points. Of course, I don't think my mom was trying to disprove it in the first place.

God as a parent actually fits my point exactly. As a young child, your parent(s) perfectly represent this idea of offering control and answers to the unknown. You enter the world knowing little more than how to poop, pee, breathe and swallow. You have zero control. You quickly learn you can cry to get fed or cleaned. But this whole time, its the parents that are getting the food to you. So you look to them to provide this control.

As you grow and become more and more independent, you rely on your parents less and less. But throughout your childhood, it is your parents that have this control you are unable to have and provide that safety and security that God does for us as humans in general.

Another point my friend and I got into was the irony that this creation of God makes us more powerful than God who is supposed to be more powerful than us. The point of its creation was to have the power to control something we are powerless to control. From a Christian standpoint, the idea that we are equal to or more powerful than God is blasphemous. It is also contradicting in a way.

This led to some thoughts on faith and how faith is critical to the numerous religions that exist. Without faith, there is little reason to follow a particular religion or any way of thinking for that matter. It is crucial to blindly believe or have faith that there is a all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving God out there that is above all of this and able to exist and "control" everything in a manner that is in our best interests.

The thoughts on faith were echoed by another friend who referenced a book he was reading that was related to this subject. Our texts reminded me of observations I have made that many times when I notice people who are blindly following the Bible and proclaiming their faith in it, they are usually of a lower education. At the same time, when I notice people who are atheist or agnostic (assuming I use that term correctly), they are of a higher education.

Obviously, these observations are generalizations. I am NOT trying to say educated people are atheist or atheists are automatically highly educated. Nor am I trying to say that if you have faith, you are not highly educated. I can provide numerous examples of extremely intelligent people who have faith in God. But this observation still exists.

The Bible has been used for centuries to prey on the unknowns of people. It has been a tool of control as it supposedly has offered answers to these unknowns and control for the uncontrollable. It has been used to control human behavior as well. But faith is a requirement. Without it, the church doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Before I begin to follow a tangent taking me away from the point of this post, I'll end it with this:

I enjoy this kind of analyzing. This is not some kind of attack on religion or God. I am continuing to seek out my place in all of this. Reflections like this make me think. While I plan to continue thinking like this, I really do want to find some framework to stick to. But I want it to genuinely from my heart and not just my brain. Christianity is not the answer for me, but it is NOT because I think it is wrong, evil or negative. Any negative overtones I present are usually directed to the people who transmit it or practice it in a way I disagree with not the theology itself.

2 comments:

Mike T said...

First would be the reflection on "is there awareness after death", then is there meaning behind life, much like reasons why systems and cycles are set up in nature.. (and is their some sort of intelligence behind it all)... from their you go to the religion aspect. For 99.99% of the population, all of this needs to be based on faith. I think their is a small percentage that actually have real proof (near death experiences... hauntings).. even if others question them.

I would think their is awareness after death.. Two stories of "near death experiences" stick with me..(not sure where I heard them.. may have been on oprah or something.. One story of a lady (being told by a doctor that was in the room) who during a near death experience, described how she was floating above her body and was able to remember a portion of a serial number on a florescent light in the room hanging from the ceiling.. and was able to check this days later.

Another was a guy having a near death experience.. he was able to view and remember a play that was going on at a near by little league game...

These accounts did seem genuine by the people telling them..

I also had an experience with an Ouija board with a friend in 7th grade that really freaked me out.... (side thought.. with an Ouija board.. you never know if your buddy is guiding the glass, spelling out words.. I had one thought.. using an Ouija board with my 3 kids (who are too young to spell) and see if I get coherent messages... probably won't do it though..).

.... see.. I'm already doing it.. I'm deducting if there is proof without the need of faith.


If their was scientific proof of life after death..or standard communication with people that have passed.. life wouldn't mean much, if anything at all.. People would be ending their lives at the first hint of any sort of suffering (maybe causing a chain reaction effect)... a higher intelligence would realize this.

Huey said...

Part of me really wants you to try that experiment with your kids and the ouiji board. Is that unethical?

Your comment was quite thought provoking. You touched upon the faith compaonent I mentioned. Faith is a fundamental aspect of religion and this idea of God that we created.

I want to think some more about your thoughts on killing ourselves if we had proof of afetrlife.