Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Mourning Mallory

It feels like my life has come to a point of closure. Recently, my wife and I experienced a difficult period that I have documented often in this blog. We lost a baby late in the pregnancy to triploidy. It is a freak chromosomal disorder that has always been fatal for the fetus.

We both have worked hard to grieve appropriately and deal with the emotional roller coaster that accompanies a loss such as this. Fortunately, this experience doesn't have any lasting physical problems so we have been able to continue our lives as planned.

We now approach the one year anniversary of the event. At this year mark we have a beautiful baby girl. We are celebrating this joyous experience with sleep deprivation and plenty of diaper changes and feedings. These events present their own challenges believe it or not, but each one is graciously welcomed.

So now I reflect on the past year with all that has happened and wonder to myself if I should put the loss to rest. But I don't want to let this go. I fear that moving on would distant myself from the memory of Mallory even though there was never really a physical memory. I recall the weeks following the loss and how determined I was to make sure we didn't sweep it under the rug. My gut was telling me that I needed to make a big deal about the loss.

I still question if that is appropriate. Plenty of couples lose babies. One thing I learned from the experience was that the number of babies that are lost is surprisingly high. A number of women lose numerous babies before they finally have a successful birth. I lost count of the women in our lives that came out of the woodwork and told us their own stories of lost babies.

They remained silent about these losses. If this is the case and many of them don't mourn their losses, does this mean I am blowing this out of proportion? Is my effort to remain so open about my experience a cry for attention? Am I making a big deal over nothing? Am I too sensitive? Is this something I should let go?

I'll be the first to admit I crave attention. Isn't this blog really an example of me crying out, "Look at me! Listen to me! Watch me!" I think everybody enjoys positive attention at some level whether or not they'll admit it openly or even to ourselves.

So is this a function of that craving?

I do know that in my private moments, I have been emotional over the loss. I really did carry the burden for awhile and throughout the successful pregnancy, I would revisit the memory of the loss in a fearful or saddened way. I didn't always publicize those moments. I would share them with my wife, but she was my partner in this experience.

My wife refers to our daughter as our "miracle baby" because of the loss. She feels it is time to put the loss behind us and has said it is OK to let go of the mourning.

I, on the other hand, still feel that ending the mourning would be one more step to forgetting Mallory. It is all I have of her. My brother and his wife are so generous and caring. They gave my wife and me two gifts. One for the new baby and one to remember Mallory. It meant the world to me. I felt like it gives me a tangible memory of Mallory and I could begin to let go without erasing her. But here I am still wanting to hold on to the sadness. I'm still afraid that letting go would erase Mallory.

Another thought I had was to tattoo her name somewhere hidden on myself. I would then have a tangible way to keep her with me forever. But this would make a hypocrite out of me since I have major issues with the trendy tattoo thing that has risen over the last decade or so. Also, if I did this, I feel I would need to add my two living children and then I would be approaching NBA player level. Wait. No, until I have body ink crawling up my neck and down my arms, I'll be OK.

Maybe my newborn is my closure. She may represent what Mallory would be. Maybe she represents what Mallory is. But I do not want to put that on her. I don't want my youngest daughter to live her life carrying the memory of someone else. I want her to be her own unique person to me. I recall a good friend of mine whose twin was lost at birth. We have discussed this subject manner in the past and his opinion would be worth hearing. I am curious if he feels like he was carrying the memory of his brother throughout his life and if that was a positive or negative thing.

This is a joyous time in my life. I have had numerous setbacks over the past several years and it feels like I am beginning to climb my way back to the surface. This is a time I should be celebrating all the joy, not dragging out the pain. I just can't leave this behind me.

Life is not about the destination but the journey right?

So cliche!

4 comments:

Michelle Failor said...

John, although I don't know from personal experience what you're going through, I know in my heart that I would feel the same way as you are now. It's OK to be happy and sad at the same time. It's OK to let go and yet hold on a little too. I don't think it's a cry for attention but rather a need for introspection which makes you the sensitive, caring, and flexible man and father you are and that will benefit your wife and daughters! Anyway, allowing yourself to feel whatever you are feeling is just keeping it real and I have a lot of respect for that so blog away my friend ; )

Huey said...

Thank you michelle. I tend to agree that this blog is more about sharing my introspection and personal therapy than a cry attention but I want to check myself from time to time and make sure my intentions are real. I think I would like to focus more on the happy than the sad while somehow keeping the sad happy. Hmmm.

Mike T said...

Well, I have a feeling you're referring to me regarding a twin brother passing away. It's ironic as I think about this around this time of year.. as my birthday is tomorrow. It's also ironic, as we were discussing this yesterday with the kids, as for some reason they wanted to know where my wife and I came up with their first and middle names. This led to the discussion with Daniel of where is first name came from.. followed up with a session of 20 questions.. brutal questions, delivered with the innocence only a 6 year old could provide.

My parents have always been open about the situation, even when I was very young, looking through picture albums.. it was had to tell us apart being identical. I know they still grieve over his passing every year on June 10th (even after 34 years, that day is not the best for them).. His name was Daniel, which is where my middle name comes from. I always wanted to name my first son after him, which I did.. and that's always meant a lot to me (and I think its helped my parents with some closure). Daniel looks very much like me.. which always seems to kind of fit. Having twins myself always had also seemed meaningful.

So I cannot speak for my parents but his remembrance from my standpoint is meaningful not negative. I wouldn't necessarily say positive.. maybe more sacred then anything.

Remembering your baby is important and I don't think you really can choose to grieve or not to grieve.. My self.. I would not make a ritual out of it.. but I would also not stop myself from grieving if I felt the need to. Naming her Mallory was a good thing, as that name is special now to you.. Vicki and you were very attached to the baby as she went somewhat far in the pregnancy.. and the last two weeks I'm sure were not easy.. Most times its hard to find meaning in things.. If the situation didn't play out the way it did, you wouldn't have the daughter you have now.. not that it makes it any easier.. but may seem more special as your relationship grows with her. My wife and I had our own problems with pregnancy, which you know the history.. and the loss.. But I feel if we didn't have those loses.. we wouldn't have went to a fertility clinic.. and may have not had Twins (the meds increased the twin chance).. and may not have had either Domenic or Alayna... kind of how I think of it.

-Mike

Mike T said...

I don't think stopping the mourning is a step to forgetting.. maybe you can get a Christmas ornament with her name on it.. (along with ornaments for your other two kids).. maybe plant a tree in her memory.. I wouldn't specifically ritualize the grieving.. but you can come up with a yearly remembrance prayer. I wouldn't go the tattoo route unless your prepared to tattoo all of your kid's names.

-Mike