Saturday, January 10, 2009

Footprints

I received a belated birthday card from my mother this week. In it she wrote an extended letter that was very heart warming. This hasn't been the first positive letter, email or phone call I have received from her, my father or other family, friends and loved ones recently. It has also been a tough time for me personally lately.

As I reflected on this fact I was reminded of the well known poem called "Footprints." I do not who wrote it but it was about a guy who walks down a beach and looks back at his footprints. These footprints represent his life. As he looked back he noticed there were two sets of footprints, one being his and the other being Jesus'. But during the hard times in his life one set was missing. The man was upset thinking he was abandoned during these times. But to his surprise, these were the times Jesus picked him up and carried him.

I realize this may come off as a bit religious and I proclaim not to be a religious person. Some of you may consider me a hypocrite. So be it. I have always liked the idea of this poem regardless of its religious connotation. There is this feeling of safety and security that comes with it.

The letter from my mother and the support of so many friends and loved ones over the past year and more has reminded me of this poem. In my own way I have had people pick me up and carry me during this stretch. It hasn't been one person, but many.

I am truly grateful to these people and their kindness and support.

No comments: