Thursday, September 11, 2008

Watch Me Spin This


I just heard the good news today. Not able to detect tone over the written word I will make it clear that first sentence was written with sarcasm. The good news is that the Buckeye's star running back, Chris Wells is now doubtful for the big match up against USC in sunny southern Californi-a this Saturday night at 8pm on ABC.

Wonderful. This game wasn't going to be difficult enough already WITH Wells. But of course did we really buy that he was going to play anyway? Didn't we all know this was Tressel's standard, textbook procedure? You know, use the media as your ally to throw out smokescreens, keeping the opponent in the dark regarding their upcoming game against you. This is what he does. He answers questions with long series of sentences that answers nothing. He is the professor at that. It is to the point that I actually love that about him. He does not have quite the angst of Bill Belichick, former Cleveland Browns head coach and current "coaching great" (uuuuugh) in New England whose fans have been just so torchered, but he comes from the same school of vagueness and not showing his hand.

So now the battered Bucks go into the hornets nest to take on the mighty Trojans. But I still think the Wells injury is good. No, I'm not going to bash Wells for his newest display of his lack of manliness. I mean I am sitting here whining about a bump and bruise in my leg, so who am I to question one's toughness? I have a reason independent of him.

My reason to be glad Wells is out begins here. We were not going to win this game against USC in my mind with or without Wells. Conventional wisdom says Wells presence makes a difference, my wisdom says he doesn't. This is a lost cause. My reasons were already laid out here in my earlier post after the Ohio University game. If you watched the last two BCS title games you should be able to gather your own evidence.

The only way the Bucks were going to pull this game out would be if the defense somehow had a game plan that worked (you listening Heacock?). One that abandons the zone read crap that got us burnt against Florida and LSU. A defense that attacks and takes the game to USC instead of having the game taken to them. They are not going to get by on pure talent this time despite having so much. Regardless of a good running game or not, Boeckman has to play Krenzel like and operate the offense effectively and efficiently. I don't trust that he can. But even with Wells there, he would have to do that to a certain extent to win.

Getting to the reason why I am looking at Wells' absence as a good thing.... If we (deal with the "we." I know I don't play for them. I get that. But I paid....errrr still paying, a ton of money to get my degree there and I am a tax paying citizen of the state that the university represents so I can say we. Not to mention the heart and soul I put into this team and money I spend on tickets and merchandise) somehow pull off an upset like the '03 Fiesta Bowl and "shock the world," a term used way too often these days, we can now look every stinking, SEC fan, general college football fan, USC fan and Big Ten, OSU haters in the eye and say.....we just went into the house of the #1 team all the way on the west coast, obviously overmatched, without our best player and KICKED THEIR ASS!!!!!!! Now what do you have to say?!

The only thing better would be if we really did kick their ass.

But I don't see it happening.
USC 48 OSU 6

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plus.. it's important that Wells gets healthy, and not make the injury worse. Good Luck..Bucks.. Hey, if the Bucks lose, it will be overshadowed by the impending disaster happening on Sunday night... at least in Cleveland anyway.

-Mike

Huey said...

Yeah, it's hard to get excited about a potentially awesome weekend when we know how painful it will end up being instead. Kinda takes the wind out of big games doesn't it?