Friday, September 5, 2008

That's Palin as in Van Halen


I recall sitting in my religion class in 9th grade at Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin and learning about Satanism. We got an earful of the Satan music that is bad to listen to. You know the albums that if you played them backwards they would send you sublimal messages to kill yourself or worship the Devil. I couldn't help but laugh when I saw a reference to Van Halen. Even I, the one who never talked, laughed out loud at that. Well, this sort of out of touch perspective reminds me of the proponents of Sarah Palin.

I just want to say "Whaaaaa?!"

I find myself blogging about politics more lately because it is on my mind. I will be the first to admit my knowledge is minimal. I consider myself a moderate in the competition between Dems and Republicans. But the more I read about Sarah Van Palin and hear her speak, the more I cringe. I openly admit I kind of liked McCain. I figured he would be ok if he won. Now.......with this decision.......

I referenced Comprozac's blog. He is much more schooled in this than me and I cannot match his knowledge or find the evidence or support for my view like he so eloquently does as liberal as he may be. I worry when I step into this arena that I am in over my head. He has several posts I have yet to read, but I wanted to write this before I read them because I want to come from an unbiased, uninfluenced perspective. I want this to be 100% me.

I watched Van Palin's RNC speech and OB's acceptance speech. I felt two totally different overall tones that lead the way in swaying my support to OB. On one side I felt like Van Palin was playing the snotty, bully who picked on her rival from afar. I don't mean to be sexist here but I really did not like the tone nor had much respect for it. It felt to me like it was a case of someone pushing another down to appear higher.

When I watched OB's speech I heard respectful references to McCain and his well documented experiences in the armed forces. I heard critiques of McCain that were prefaced with positive remarks. "I don't believe John McCain doesn't care. He just doesn't know." These were his remarks instead of the mocking, bully antics of Van Palin.

Don't tell me I am scared of Palin. I'm not. Her hockey mom reference fell on deaf ears. Again, this comes off sexist and I apologize if it is but I truly do not "fear" Palin because she is tough or right, I fear her because she is approving a "bridge to nowhere" with money from taxpayers. I fear her because she inexperienced. Really, inexperienced. I fear her because she truly thinks abstinence only programs work. She is anti-abortion rights. If I fear a woman because they are intimidating....that would be Hillary Clinton and I would vote for her in a heartbeat if OB wasn't there. That woman is intelligent and when she criticized OB it wasn't in a snotty little brat manner SVP did.

This brings me to another example of the positive slant versus the negative, bully vibe. While Palin comes out with a 17 year old daughter who is already pregnant opening herself up to all kinds of criticism, what do OB and JB do? They lay off and instead make it a point to declare that her family is off limits. If the tables were turned would Palin do the same? After listening to her snotty speech, I think HELL TO THE NO!

This is where I wanted to go with this post. I have more feelings regarding the boo's from the Republican crowd regarding the claims of Palin's inexperience. Somehow it is unfair to call out her resume but not OB's?? C'mon! But the contradictions go on!

Bottom line: While the Republicans continue the mudslinging campaign style Bush was so good at, OB is talking about the issues that mean something to me. He is addressing education and the economy along with the war. The others can't get off the war and the lack of experience of OB. They continue to use fear to control us. My cousin Hank so eloquently referenced this in a recent thread within my extended family regarding ethics. It fits here. We are giving up liberties out of fear. We are continuing the Vietman part deaux and wasting money. We had the budget balanced if I recall correctly during the Clinton years. With a Republican in the White House we are back to those old days with Reagan and Senior where the deficit was skyrocketing.

This is where I begin to lose focus and find holes in my stance. But I just need people to know....don't fall for the brat. She may have designer glasses and all that but she has little or no substance. Let me hear how she is going to help me get my students to learn more. How are we going to increase the value of our homes? How are we going to fix the value of the US dollar? How are we going to decrease the crime rate? How are we going to fix health care? What about the homeless? What about immigration? And can my Cleveland Browns get a decent defense this year?

OB is invigorating. If he won't get change done he will inspire us to do so. I feel it. I know it. Palin? McCain? Not so much. Just four more years of good for the rich.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

BRAVO!!! BRAVO my friend. I read what you wrote and I was reminded of the Daily Show I saw the other day in which John Stewart showed and interview with Palin in which she admitted that she did not know what the VP does. That only makes me think that she doesn't know what the President does. Here's a scary thought McCain, being the paragon of health that he is dies, we get a hockey Mom that doesn't know what her job is. Oh, and about your comment on the road to nowhere- she got the money and kept it when the voters expersed their dissatifaction in suck pork barrel spending. I noticed the glasses too- wonder where she got the money for them??? One other thing you forgot to mention when you addressed her anti-abortion stance. She doesn't support a health care system for those that can't afford it. Funny 'cause as tax payers we pay for her health care. I could go on, but I think you gave us enough food for thought for now.

Huey said...

I think I saw that Daily Show clip as well. I am glad we are the on the same page.

Yes, we could go on. There was alot I wanted to write but worried I would get off topic and make it too long.

Thanks for clearing up the inconsistencies. That is what this blog is all about.

I really have a fundamental problem with the fact, as you referenced, that she doesn't know what she is doing. What is more scary than someone with a bunch of mcho bravado that isn't skilled or knowledgeable to do anything about it? That only leads to problems we won't be able to get out of.

The abstinence thing and anti-abortion rights stance also scare me. I don't want to insult or disrespect someone who is pro life, but we need to be real. In fact, if one is pro life I would think it would make even MORE sense to be supportive of the programs that provide more than "Don't do it" as a strategy to help teenage pregnancy. They are increasing the budget for these ineffective abstinence only programs by $23 million!! More glasses for the Republicans I guess. We could go on about healthcare.

But people will vote for her ticket out of hat for the other side. I pray that number is small.

Anonymous said...

GREAT posts from you both -
a few added thoughts:

wouldn't it be great if Jon Stewart's stuff somehow made it into the evening news - like the montage of clips that he assembles that exposes the contradictions and hypocrisies?

the Repubs wreck the economy, waste money, declare wars and mess up when we need real leadership (Katrina, etc.) - and they lie, lie, lie - and say "I can't remember" or "I don't recall" : the Alberto Gonzalez refrain. It's cynical, and criminal, and if we don't get them all brought up on charges for attacking our civil liberties, and for war crimes, too - then I have to ask why we spent $50 million investigating Clinton's sex life...

And McCain would be Bush III - well, actually, Bush IV, counting daddy.

I heard that Palin's speech was written by the White House writers. That means Rove, trust me. He's back, and he's active in this campaign. Watch him tap into the right-wing pro-lifers (like your grandparents and uncles), the homophobes, and the racists - just watch. He's doing it already.

It really can make a person blood run cold. But then you'd have to have blood and a heart for that to happen!

Huey said...

"Watch him tap into the right-wing pro-lifers....the homophobes, and the racists..."

Exactly. They will tap into the fears of people just like Hank said. They control the voters that way. It is scary how they scare us.

comoprozac said...

I had never considered how the RNC's negative tone would play out with independent/moderate voters. This is interesting.