Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Today Was A Good Day

I was browsing some old rap videos from the late 1980s and early 1990s yesterday seeking an Ice Cube track called, "Today Was A Good Day." I thought I would post it to my Facebook profile to share with some fellow 30 somethings that would appreciate the jam. But as I listened this 30 something father of two little girls became appalled by the suggestive lyrics and scenes. I am a grown man who enjoys good music and I am not saying this artist's freedom of speech should be denied, but I just can't attach myself to those lyrics.

The objective of this post though is not to discuss my tastes in old school rap music, but to share with my readers that I have had some pretty good days this week.

It can be wrapped up in this one scene from my life today:

Before I left for my softball game I received a big hug from my oldest while my youngest was blowing kisses to me from across the room.

Think about all the explicit good stuff in that sentence alone.

1) Hugs from my oldest
2) Cute kisses being blown to me from my littlest one (if you saw how she does this you would agree that it is unbearably adorable).
3) Going to hang out with some friends of mine
4) Playing a game

All of this before I even continue with the fact that my beautiful wife was sitting next to me. This all happened in a house we can afford in a decent neighborhood. USA had already won a thrilling soccer match to put us in the round of 16. The weather was beautiful. I didn't have to work. I have a new position at a school I chose to move to next school year. We had a thoroughly enjoyable lunch with some good friends' who we hadn't seen in awhile at their house earlier in the day.

I could really go on.

The day before was a good day without anything major happening. When mundane days are good days, as I wrote yesterday, you are really sitting pretty.

No comments: