Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Student Visits

I have an old student who has been making it a tradition to come back and pay a visit at the end of each school year. I can tell he enjoys bragging about his exploits on the football field. You would think this would bring him by during football season but it is always the last week of school that I see him stroll in my classroom to the wide eyed awe of each class each year.

This year he brought with him a couple of his jerseys to show off. He handed me his home jersey and I held it up admiringly noting his last name on the back. Then we traded and I did the same with his away jersey.

We talked a little about his junior season. I asked what position he plays. Any. So I prodded a bit for specifics and he narrowed it down to quarterback and safety. Then I asked about the kind of offense they run and what he felt was his strengths and so on.

He can do it all, pass and run.

I have a feeling there was some embellishment taking place but I enjoyed it and allowed him to continue with little or no skepticism from me.

This continued as he talked about his future prospects. He says he has been hearing from the University of Cincinnati, University of Toledo, Ohio University and even Michigan State University.

Naturally I followed this by inquiring about my alma mater, Ohio State. Or O state as the kids say these days. Apparently, he is attending a camp at O State this summer and confidently expects some interest following said camp.

He is a great kid. I thoroughly enjoy his visits. He is still the same laid back guy he was in 4th grade seven years ago. He is physically larger than most of his peers just like his days in my class, but he never tried to intimidate. He just keep to himself and handled his business.

We talked football back then and we talk football now. Obviously. I also pry enough to make sure his grades are cool. I want to hear he still is working hard and managing well. Math was his thing. It sounds like it still is.

I trust he isn't just saying this to get me off his case and get the conversation back to his football accomplishments. I trust he is getting by like he did back then. It always took work but he never bowed out to it.

I would love to hear his name someday as I watch a game. The odds are against it. But at least I would know if he is anything like he was in 4th grade, he is one of the cool players I can be proud to cheer for.

Unless he goes to the "other" Michigan.

No comments: