Saturday, October 3, 2009

Dream Lineup

This past week I was able to make my way to Cincinnati for another Social Distortion show. Social D is my all time favorite band.

This started me thinking, what would be the ultimate concert lineup for me?

Social Distortion would be the headliner with an hour to an hour and a half show. But who would open and lead up to the main act?

I thought I would want a variety. But I would want a variety of bands that work well together to create an energy of excitement leading to Social D. For instance, Pink Floyd is a great band that I would love to see again but their show and vibe wouldn't mix with these others at all.

But these bands would need to be among my favorites. They would also need to be excellent live acts since this is live. Quality in the studio doesn't automatically get you in my lineup.

So I thought I would start with A Tribe Called Quest. They would open the show with a laid back vibe to get you started with a smooth groove. Q-Tip and Phife Dog would lay some lyrics and rhyme down as you begin your first drink and bob your head.

Then, Fun Lovin' Criminals would enter the stage and continue the schmooth flow. They would maintain a nice mellow vibe with a couple of jazzy, bluesy songs but also begin a transition to a rock vibe.

Next, things would begin to intensify a bit and move more into a rock mode as Muse would take stage and contribute their epic art rock vibe. While not exactly a hard sound, they would take the music to a more rock genre and lend some strong, loud sound to the show.

The next contributor would be Weezer. Their plethora of familiar songs to draw from would get the crowd even more into it and continue the bridge from the early bands to the last two juggernauts.

At this point, we are four deep already and I would be eager to see the headliner. Just one more addition is needed. In order to take it to another level in the world of rock and intensity, I would have The Bronx come out and kick some ass. They would blow the roof off of the place and allow Social D to come in with the crowd in a frenzy.

Finally, the headliner would come out guns a blazin' and play a set that never slows. Pure rock 'n Roll. Classic stuff from Mommy's Little Monster, my favorite album from them, and rock on through to their new stuff that I also enjoy. Mike Ness would lend his intro to the songs like he always does. The crowd would heave plastic cups of beer on stage. We would sing along and point in the air to the beat.

It would be an epic night.

Best rock show ever.......for me.

2 comments:

comoprozac said...

Hmmm...I won't criticize too much since musical tastes are subjective and this is a dream lineup. That said, there's no way Weezer and Tribe open for Social Distortion.

I kid. I kid. I realize it's hypothetical.

My dream lineup? Man, I don't even know where to begin. Also, could I pick a band at any point in their history? Bands that are no longer together? I'll get back to you on this...

Huey said...

Yeah, hypothetical. I expect plenty of kidding for it though. No worries there. It is what it is.

Let's say yes, you can pick a band at any point in history. That would make it fun and lend some more to the conversation. So yeah, bands that are dead or broken up can be thrown in.

Pretend it is heaven. So anything goes. Even Tribe and Weezer opening for Social D. hahahaha