Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Letter To Those Against Healthcare Reform

This was written to a healthcare opponent in an effort to explain the argument for reform. I found it to be moving and well written. Since I know both parties involved, I thought I should share it with those who read my blog.

These are not necessarily the views held by me, but......well, screw it! This is pretty much in line with my thinking. I do have several questions regarding details of the proposed plans but I refuse to let these healthcare companies and the Republican politicians who they have in their pockets scare me away with their propaganda.


Here is the piece:

How do we protect and respect the right to life if we let the sickest and most vulnerable (the poor) among us die or receive lesser care or put them (and middle class people as well) into more debt or into the emergency room in the middle of the night for non-emergency care?

Those of us who were privileged enough to grow up with food, shelter, safety and health care (long before we could "earn" it ourselves) should hesitate before we make sweeping statements about the constitutional rights - let alone the human rights - of others. Such rights should never be denied to those in need by those in a place of comfort. (Those of us who claim to follow Jesus should be ESPECIALLY hesitant to do so.)

Human rights aren't spelled out in the constitution, but our understanding of them has grown since a bunch of white propertied men decided that a slave wasn't a person (okay, maybe 3/5 of a person) and women did not have a right to vote.

The people who want to reform health care truly want to make sure it's accessible to all (who are you going to turn down?). Many have family members who can't get the tests they need because they have a serious pre-existing condition that makes them uninsurable. Think of that.

I guess I have a right to those tests and they don't? I don't think so.

Do old people have a right to be supported? it's not in the constitution, but we have Social Security, thank goodness - a government-run program about which ignorant Americans are saying, "Keep the government's hands off my Social Security!" (read Medicare, etc.)

If the government is so bad at doing things, let's get it out of the business of declaring war and supporting an obscene bloated arms industry. Where's the human rights in that? (and what would Jesus say?)

I bring up Jesus even though I believe in the separation of church and state, because so many people who are yelling against health care reform (which is indeed degenerating into health insurance reform) - and they are indeed yelling, in an ugly and cold-hearted way - claim to be Christians. My, my.

I know you're in a field where you want to help people have better mental health. I hope you are moved to such depths of compassion that you will seek the good of all of God's children, not just the ones who can afford the services available in our supposedly advanced country, but ALL of God's children.

And I hope you will want to share out of the great abundance in which you have always lived so that others will have what they need.

I hope the resources will be allocated so that those who need your services will be able to get them, and that you won't have to work for nothing. That wouldn't be fair.

I was very conservative at your age and have moved to the left as I've witnessed the kind of suffering I was shielded against as I grew up.

What's that thing that someone said - when you're young, if you're liberal, you need to grow your mind, but if you're conservative, you need to grow your heart. I wish conservatives - both young and old -had as much sympathy and compassion for sick children, adults, elderly, etc., as they do for zygotes.

By the way, as much as I am in awe of conception and birth, I'm appalled at the way right-wingers go immediately to the abortion question (demonizing everyone who doesn't agree with them, just as the opposite side demonizes them) in every conversation.

Finally, I wish all conservatives would have spent the first year of Obama's valiant effort to salvage our economy, our morals, our stature in the world, and our integrity (not to mention our safety) by cooperating with these efforts.

Conservatives LOVE to talk about patriotism, for example, in a sentimental or militaristic way. How about getting down to basics, and considering taxes an exercise in responsible citizenship? Greed has grasped the Republicans, and they (my former party) stir up irrational opposition to things like health care reform - because they're in the pockets of the insurance industry, which is spending a million dollars a day to disrupt our national discourse.

Should we trust the party that took us into an immoral, unnecessary, poorly executed (to the point of criminality), and expensive war? I don't think so. I wish we could have a bipartisan, cooperative effort here. But I don't think the party of Gingrich/Palin (shame on them) will let that happen.

Just a few thoughts from one who is sick and tired of this debate.

For the record, I am not keen on diminishing our arms. I would like to have them just in case (hands and fingers too for that matter). Even though we are the only country to actually drop a nuclear bomb...

6 comments:

kevin said...

I really do not consider spending just as much money on an unjust war on an "economic disaster" a valiant effort. Let's call the stimulus what it is, a money grab. I firmly believe if nothing was done we would be in the same spot economically. I find it amusing that when the democrats opposed Bush on everything they were patriotic, but when the tables are turned it is unpatriotic. I do not think anyone will argue against health reform, but tell me when was the last time the government ran anything efficiently. Sorry but it has never happened. Concessions need to be made on both sides, or nothing will get done.

Huey said...

Thus begins the merry-go-round that is the complaining about the contradictions of "the other party." Geez.

The democrats complain about spending money on arms but love to spend money on the stimulus. The republicans love to not spend money on domestic programs but love to spend it on wars.

Round and round we go, and no progress is made.

You can point out those comments made in this post and then make some of your own to counter.

But we end up in the same damn spot.

Kevin, I know for a fact you have solid ideas and opinions to contribute to the discussion. THAT is what we need to hear.

Kevin said...

Sorry Huey the way that article is written seems to go to your point. My belief is that we can have health care reform without the government running it. One thing that I cannot find anywhere in the 10000+ pages of a health care bill is tort reform. I just do not think I can take any reform seriously until all cost drivers are handled. But you already know how I feel since we have discussed a few times.

kevin said...

should be 1000+

Huey said...

Oh yes, it goes to my point. I'll own that.

Tort reform is one of several ideas I have heard from you that seems to make sense. I'd much rather hear your argument than those of most who have issues.

Can you go negotiate for your side please?

Huey said...

Kevin, I wanted to add something: The point of this post was less about pointing out contradictions in any particular party, in this case the republicans, but instead using the line of logic used by republicans when it comes to other issues to explain the stance of many democrats that are FOR reform.

The abortion for example. Many republicans who are conservative are very concerned about human life, its dignity and its value, when it comes to the fetuses. Good. They should be.

So with that line of logic, one would then assume they would also be concerned with the dignity and value of human life after birth. Therefore, they should be working to improve it. They should be embracing reform of some kind with the idea theat they care for their fellow people like they do the unborn people.

It is not about pointing out the contradiction in logic to prove on'es right over the other. Let's get past that.

It is about seeing we think the same many times and leet's apply that to this. Because right now we aren't.

We are just arguing and screaming and often getting off topic.

There are legitimate problems in healthcare that need to be fixed.

Dems proposed an idea. Now instead of shooting it down just to shoot it down, come up with something else. Contribute something to fix this that is better or less bad in your eyes.

You, in particular Kevin, have proven to me that you have ideas. Frankly, ideas I can get behind. So far, you would have my support. Unfortunately, nobody is hearing you. I still am waiting for a republican or reform critic to propose something close to what you have in our discussions. We keep hearing these other blowhards who contribute nothing except to the mass hysteria.

Granted, the issue is much more complex than any of our discussions, but our tone is the kind congress and these townhall meetings need to have.