Saturday, March 21, 2009

Education Reform

President Obama and Ohio Governor, Ted Strickland have both recently spoke out about fixing the mess that is education in our country. I agree there are problems that need to be fixed, but I am not so sure I agree with the ways they propose to fix it.

Being a teacher in an urban setting for over a decade now, I have legitimate perspective on what is wrong where it is wrong. The areas where schools are failing includes the area in which I teach. When you speak of "failing" schools, you speak of my school. When you speak of "failing" teachers, you speak of me.

The classifications of schools are based on results from statewide standardized tests and graduation rates. The federal classifications include Academic Emergency, Academic Watch and..... well I don't know because my school has never had a positive classification. I suppose it would be something like Academically Sweet! Or School of Absolutely Awesome Teachers Who Kick Butt While You Others Stink! Maybe something like Our Schools Work and Yours Doesn't So Do What We Do.

My bitterness is obvious, but you would feel the same if you spent just one school year teaching where I teach let alone a decade.

From the bits and pieces I have heard, I gather the President and Governor both feel that teachers need to be held more accountable. President Obama seems to favor charter schools. They both seem to favor merit pay for teachers. They also want to extend school hours and school years.

Fair enough.

Here are my humble suggestions. Again, these come from someone who is on the front lines and has been for 11 years. I have some credibility.

Teacher Accountability:
How can you not be for this? As I objectively approach this issue I do think we should be held to particular standards. We are the facilitators of the education on the ground level. We are the foot soldiers and have the most influence in the classroom itself so everyone is counting on us to deliver. Therefore, we need to held to high standards. But education and the teaching profession itself is a unique monster.

It is difficult to truly measure a teacher's worth or success. This is because it is totally dependent on somebody else's performance--the student. In addition, it is not dependent on one student but a group of students. Also, a whole year of work is accounted for with a test that is taken on one particular day. A teacher can do everything by the book all or most of the year but have a student come in on test day with any number of problems that weigh heavier on their mind than a test. Finally, the everyday battle of teaching students who are unmotivated or apathetic to the educational process as a whole make it near impossible to be effective enough to earn a positive classification.

Then the emotional and mental toll this takes on a teacher over time begins to eat away at their own motivation and feeling of self-worth. Year after year of dealing with these issues separate from the education of the students and getting labeled as a failure wear on you and negatively affect performance.

I read an analogy in a newspaper article my wife copied for me about holding a doctor accountable for a patient's lack of improvement because the patient did not take the medicine prescribed or followed through with the rehabilitation assigned. Holding teachers accountable based on test scores is like that. Of course, the doctor could prescribe something wrong and would deserve blame for it but just because a patient doesn't recover well doesn't automatically mean they made a mistake or performed their job erroneously.

Charter Schools:
From a business perspective, the charter school model makes sense. It creates competition. Competition increases quality. The good schools and teachers or administrators rise to the top and the others sink and fail and are closed. But as I wrote above, it is difficult to fairly assess this success or failure. Many of the problems are out of the control of the schools.

Merit Pay:
On the surface merit pay makes sense because you would reward good teachers. You would provide incentive for teachers to work harder. But again, harder work by the teachers isn't necessarily the problem here. We are working hard! I have tutored after school and on Saturdays. I have attended professional development. I have stayed late and come in early. I even did work at home for a number of years in addition to the extra hours. My scores still stunk!

The problem is deeper than the effort of the teachers. Honestly, the effort of the students is more important and as hard as we try to encourage, motivate or affect the students' effort, the bottom line is that we can't make them do anything they don't choose to do themselves.

Merit pay will mean teachers in more affluent districts or districts where students come from families that value education will get paid more while teachers in districts where the improvements need to be made the most get paid less.

That isn't fair and it won't fix the problems.

Extending School Days and School Years:
I admit I love my summers off. In fact, I NEED my summers off to rebuild my sanity. But this is not why I think this idea won't be effective. Developmentally, I am not sure kids could benefit from the longer days. Their attention wanes by the end of the day as it is. More hours would just be a waste of time because their attention won't be focused like it needs to be to be worthwhile.

Here is my suggestion: Instead of extending the year or days, change the format. There are several schools in our district that are year round. I don't have any data to support their success or lack thereof and due to the neighborhoods in which they are located, I doubt they are overwhelming successful, but allow me to give you the theory behind why this format would be more effective than extending the hours or year.

This format maintains the 180 days of school per school year but eliminates the summer. Students attend school for four nine week periods with three weeks between each. This keeps them in a routine because there is no three month gap. This gap often creates the need to spend weeks getting them back into the school routine every year. Most importantly, the three week intercessions between the grading periods can be used for enrichment or remediation. Students that are struggling can catch up in the three weeks between the four grading periods. Gifted students can have opportunities to extend their learning during these intercessions. Students who need a break can get a break. The intention of extending the school years would be served this way in my mind. It also allows for choice and flexibility for parents and students and teachers.


Final Shots:
The problems with education have less to do with teachers and more to do with the funding or lack of funding (ruled uncontitutional in Ohio), lack of support from parents, students themselves and the general lack of value of teachers. Education is a difficult problem to solve. There are so many underlying factors outside of the schools that you can't pinpoint one specific thing to do in the schools to cure the ills.

I think we can start with fixing the funding problems, move to year round schools and try to encourage more support for schools through volunteers and instilling a general value in education. We need to repair the relationship and trust between teachers and parents. Finally, parents need to be held more accountable. They need to initiate communication with the teachers and play a more direct role in their child's education with the teacher.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good points Huey. We had a good discussion the other night, and you opened my eyes to some things. I know I could never do what you do, no patience. I do hope for all our sake we can improve schools in a win-win solution. Just do not know what that is.

Anonymous said...

John, you make some good points, and have the experience to back those up. One thing that would worry me.. about basing a teachers worth on the standardized testing.. I do realize how important those scores are to the school, and to the teachers. The fundamental problem is.. the majority of the kids just don't care. Is there any benefit for the kids if they do well? Don't they just go right on to 5th grade regardless of how they do? I remember taking those Iowa tests in high school.. and I could care less on how I did.. specially as the day went on.. I found myself just filling in bubbles. Sure I received my scores later that year.. and It said I placed in the 2% for reading comprehension.. Great..I didn't care..summer vacation was on, just told my dad that I must have missed a question or something.

Also.. Governor Strickland wants to have mandatory full days for kindergarten.. I had a day off last Friday, and decided to spend the day with my son in his kindergarten class, being a teacher's aid (the school promotes this sort of thing). Kindergarten for my son is only a half day, and you can see the effects.. Even with me there to help out, everything is too rushed(to the best efforts of the teacher). A full day of Kindergarten would be 500% better for the kids.

-Mike

Huey said...

Kevin, despite the outcome of the game, the converation was good. I am glad you were able to get a glimpse. I too think we need to come up with some solution because education is the foundation of everything else.

I can't agree with you more Mike!!!

First, I think all day kindergarden everyday is 1000% necessary. WE have it here in Columbus City Schools but not anywhere else that I am aware of. I had the little one in all day, everyday pre school last year and I think that has done wonders for her. The effects are evident this year.

Second, I also think basing so much on tests is unreliable and maybe even invalid. I hope I didn't present a tone that I am pro-test. It is the nature of the beast currently and I quit complaining about it years ago because it won't change.

I do understand it is difficult to measure without a standardized test. That is actually my point. Teaching is an intricate almost impossible thing to measure due to so many factors that play a role without being directly related. That may sound contradicting.

But testing has many problems. Like you said, the motivation of the kids and the lack of a true deterrant if they fail or benefit if they pass. There was talk of failing a student if they didn't pass the test but our urban schools would suddenly have students 5 years older than their grade level peers in so many diffferent grades that it became impractical.

You are absolutely right...manhg of the kids don't care. And I am measured by their lack of caring.

Huey said...

Just t clarify Mike, when I spoke of NOT increasing school days I did not mean kindergarden. I meant the keds who already have full day. In terms of kindergarden I DO think they should go full day.

I also think the curriculum needs to be looked at in regards to the "rushed" feeling you mentioned. We feel it in 4th grade too but I am not so sure extending the day to fit more in will rid us of the rush.

Today we teacher more stuff than we did when we were kids and part of me thinks this is good but another part wonders if it is too much too soon.

That is a whole other post for another day.

But I appreicate your point of view as a parent.