Saturday, February 21, 2009

I Love My Emergent Reader


I have mentioned in past posts that my daughter has some serious development delays leading to a very difficult time. Education is very important to me. My daughter's success in school is something I consider a high priority. These cognitive issues make it hard for her to succeed.

Nevertheless, I bust my rear end to teach this child everything I can. Since birth, I have attempted to make books and reading a major part of her life. From the looks of it, I have succeeded. To this day, she plays with books as much as any other toy she has in her room or in the basement.

But while many children her age are speaking more fluently and reading with a much deeper vocabulary and higher cognitive ability, my beloved little one struggles to put sentences together that people outside her immediate family can understand. She can barely maintain a conversation because she is unable to process what is being told to her. It breaks my heart. It scares me to death.

Nonetheless, we push forward. With the support of my loving wife, her stepmother who loves her dearly, I look for ways to close the gap as much as I can. I continue to do the best I can to accept her for who she is but at the same time I want what is best for her and I want her to be the best she can be. I don't believe I can just let that happen. I believe I need to be proactive, especially in her case.

One strength she has is her memory. It still may not be the same as her peers. Or much of her shortcomings may be more a result of her processing problems or inability to communicate than a delay itself. In other words, her issues may be an output problem more than an input problem.

So we have tried to use her memory to help her. She memorizes many things. We hope this memorization can help carry her until she develops the ability to conceptualize things better. She is getting good. She is able to recite 75% of her sight words. She knows her letter sounds and we continue to work on using these sounds to sound out words.

The assessments at school are not turning out well. She is not passing them. Part of the reason is the context. She is not handling the testing situation well. She knows more than the tests are showing. Regardless, we push forward.

Tonight we read Dr. Seuss' "Green Eggs and Ham" again. We read that book so often that we own two copies. I read one copy while she reads the other. I mention this anecdote because tonight she read more of the book independently than ever before.

It was truly remarkable.

Watching my little one read a whole page of a book was one of the most precious things I have ever witnessed. I understand it was only "Green Eggs and Ham." I watched her read the words she knew. I witnessed her looking at the pictures for cues. She used the rhyming to help her guess the words she didn't know. She also used her memory from the countless reads of the text we had done throughout her life to figure out unknown words. She demonstrated that she is acquiring and using the skills that will help her grow as a reader. It wasn't perfect. We still stumbled through some parts. But today is not the end of the journey, today is just the beginning.

She may only be emerging as a reader, but I still adore my little emergent reader.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

I love this post!!! I think this is great Beau - you don't need to qualify it at all. Just Green Eggs and Ham? That is a GREAT book, and the perfect book for her to be reading. I am soo proud of her!! And proud of both you and Vicki for helping her get to this point!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! I can just picture her reading the same book her daddy read thirty years ago. (When I was in fourth grade. Ahem.)

All of us, including your precious little girl, are so blessed that she has teachers in her life who won't get discouraged. Not just the ones at school, but at home, especially.

Press on!

Anonymous said...

John.. 75% of sight words, and able to pick up on green eggs and ham.. that's not too bad.. Take the school testing with a grain of salt as long as you can see the progress at home. As you know, I have a 6 year old myself and are going through many of the same routines. I know sight words are based on memorization.. but if she's looking at picture ques to figure out the correct words.. that's critical thinking, not memorization..and that's a good sign. You really need to be able to separate her thinking ability from her communication hurdles.. We run into this with Domenic, who is getting speech therapy.

If you really want to test her thinking ability, without the verbal factors, try teaching her to play checkers.. and demonstrate the different strategies (blocking jumps, etc). Much better then Candyland, Hi Ho Cherry o, and all the other mindless games available.. where winning is just based on luck. Once she gets the hang of the game... how she moves her checkers will really demonstrate her thinking ability fairly accurately. Winning the actual game is insignificant.. it's seeing if she can evaluate the ramifications in her checker moves..even if its just one move ahead.

It sounds like You and Vicki are doing a good job with her...

-Mike

Huey said...

That is a GREAT idea Mike!! I think I will try to do that. I have played Candyland with her and she handles it ok. She doesn't focus enough to determine the cognitive comprehension of moving the number of colored spots. Checkers will take some patience but I think it is a great idea and a wonderful tool to help foster that higher thinking.

I am impressed with her use of picture cues as well. She is demonstarting some critical thinking. Using the rhyme and ability to recall from prior readings along with the first letter sounds requires some good skills as well.

I am proud of her and I really appreciate your idea and feedback.