Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Small Moments Count

I was listening to my good friend, Chris, in his interview on a podcast about near death experiences.  He has made some significant changes in his life for the better and shared a number of things that struck me.

Among them was that he viewed life being about the small things.

Now, the meaning of life may or may not be boiled down to something simple like this.  This comment of his may have also been more about everyday life than the grand idea of life. Regardless, as Chris has often done over the years, he got me thinking.


My reflection here is about that statement.

The reason it struck me was because I find myself looking at the big events and the impactful experiences as the important, life defining moments.  Graduations, weddings, birth of children, new jobs, the list goes on of things that defined my life and its goodness.

But Chris' point is good.  Could it be that the smile of pride on my mom's face at my graduation, my Dad's uncrackable spin that the pouring rain during the graduation ceremony was enjoyable, the first touch of my children in my hands, the look in my wife's eyes when she listened to me say my vows, the fist pumps when I accepted the position at Cranbrook or Linden were actually the stuff of life instead of those experiences themselves as a whole?

Or maybe not even these.

Maybe it is the deep breath I took earlier today.  The cool summer breeze passing around me. The quiet of a winter day lying in the snow. The runner high after a run.  The green leaves filling the trees in the summer.

What makes life....life is probably those moments you assume you will forget that have no major resume type significance.

Another view I have taken over the years has been that the feelings involved with these grand accomplishments or moments are what give life meaning.  So, again, it is less the moment itself and more some aspect connected to it.

Therefore, appreciating these moments or the feelings connected to them are key.

Check out his interview here.  It is worth the half hour or so.

http://www.everydayisasecondchance.com/christopher-hostetler/

No comments: