Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mr. Over-Conservative?

This can be tracked back to John "Hot Rod" Williams' days with the Cleveland Cavaliers when I was in high school. I have been this way ever since I began speculating about trade deadline rumors.

I always want my team to stay pat. I tend to overvalue what my team already has on its roster. With my beloved Cavaliers of late, I have put a ton of weight in team chemistry.

Now, as we approach another trade deadline for my Cavs, I hear rumor after rumor proposed to improve the team. They need a athletic power forward who can score and play defense on the tall 4's around the league that can shoot from the outside. With the Delonte West drama looming in the near future, making his availability in the post season a big, scary question mark, the Cavs may want to look for some depth in the back court as well.

It is obvious The Cavs have needs. It was obvious they had needs last year as well. But while many were calling for a trade to get Shaquille O'Neal, I said, "NO!"

They acquired him in the off season anyway and he is beginning to fit in seamlessly and contribute in a positive manner. The team seems better with him on the roster.

One would think I have learned from this experience, but instead, as names like Andre Iguodala and Amare Stoudemire float around, I still say, "NO!"

I don't want to let Zydrunas Ilgauskas go. He has been a long time, loyal Cavalier through thick and thin and has a legitimate chance at a ring. He deserves better than getting shipped off at the last minute. I have heard there is a chance he could get bought out and the Cavs could resign him (a la Joe Smith last year) for the playoff push, but that scares me.

J.J. Hickson and Jawad Williams have both shown promise. They are both tall and athletic. The question is whether or not they will maintain the success they have found this year in the postseason.

The chemistry on the team continues from last year despite a number of changes on the roster. LeBron and Shaq are coexisting well. Everybody seems to have a role, knows their particular role and performs their role well.

Why break that up?

But I have said that before. And it did not lead to a championship. I suppose I should shut up and jump on the trading frenzy bandwagon. Maybe that trade I fear is what the Cavs need to bring a trophy home to Cleveland.

No comments: