Friday, January 8, 2010

Teachers Are Paid Too Damn Much

My wife teaches in a school district just outside Columbus, Ohio where the voters refuse to pass a levy. I had a conversation with a resident living in this district. Her opinion corresponds with the findings from the polls regarding the voters' overall opinions on the levy.

She told me she doesn't want to pay more taxes for teachers to get paid more when they already make too much money as it is.

She continued, "If the districts need money, they should take it from the teachers' paychecks."

I mean we only work 3/4 of the year anyway, right?


(Insert old babysitter wage analogy here)

Meanwhile, as levy after levy fails, teaching positions are cut and the remaining staff is instructing growing class rosters which leads to less attention paid to students, more behavioral management issues, significantly lower teacher morale and higher stress.

Although the amount of success varies, it has been generally found in numerous studies that smaller class sizes lead to positive results in student achievement.

In addition, so much support staff is getting reduced that they are now responsible to clean their own rooms each night and perform added duties outside the classroom. These duties are in addition to the outside tasks already performed like lunchroom monitoring, hallway monitoring, and any other programs the schools may have.

In essence, teachers do the job of preparing adequate and appropriate lessons for students and instructing these students. Then we assess the students' performance, to gather and organize data from the assessments to use in future researching and planning for remediation for any students falling behind or to challenge others who excel.

Then we must follow up on why certain students' attendance is sporadic, break up fights, settle disputes, find resources for families in need of food, shelter, coats and other help, report signs of possible abuse, mend injuries, make sure medicine is taken correctly and on time, clean the room, interpret other languages and communicate with people who don't speak yours, motivate unmotivated people to perform tasks that many times are challenging to them and performing them with mastery, play detective to solve minor offenses like who stole some one's personal items, search for said missing items, read someone to determine if they are lying or telling the truth, provide supplies (usually out of our own deep, well paid pocket), change light bulbs, fix broken tables, chairs, pencil sharpeners and so on, make sure the students are fed, babysit at recess, provide a shoulder to cry on, create a school presentation, run the practice of said presentation, lead the presentation to the student body and even more if we choose to contribute to after school programs or tutoring.

No one of these particular items are a problem in and of themselves. My point here is that we are held accountable for a students' learning but have countless other duties to perform and do not have the support, resources and sometimes training to do them.

I am beyond the argument of my salary. Quite honestly, I am satisfied with my lifestyle. Granted, I am in debt that could have been paid off by now living this same lifestyle had I entered another field that I am fully capable of having entered, but I've accepted that. I knew that coming in.

Also, there are people who get paid as an intern as much I as did in my 5th year of teaching WITH A MASTER'S DEGREE in a district that pays well. This is not to mention that when I did my internship, I WAS THE ONE PAYING!

But seriously, I'm over it.

I don't want more money. Don't pay me more.

Just pass a levy so I, my wife and our colleagues and get some people in here to HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Mike T said...

Two years ago, I would have been a little skeptical regarding teacher's pay.. Have now my own first grader now, and within two years, I'll have a 3rd and 2 first graders.. Now seeing the expectations placed on the kids, (along with the experience of sitting in/helping out in my kid's class one day, I think teacher's need more help..and are probably underpaid (and that's in a school system doing well). It's stressful keeping up with my own son's school work, and he's not even really struggling.

Mike T said...

Choosing to go into teaching (k-12) you're always going to have some positives, and some negatives that will never go away..

Positives:
obviously, the vacation time off.. this should not be discounted (I get 11 paid holidays and 16 paid vacation days). Actually, don't have a problem with this.

Having a meaningful job in society, and not something superficial.

The material probably doesn't change that much from year to year.. allowing teachers the ability to become experts in their fields.


Negatives:
Your pay is always going to be public knowledge (therefore under public scrutiny). Your pay increases are based on a flat rate for everyone, and not based on actual merit. And worse.. based on retarded voters. This really sucks if you're are a good teacher.

Now I don't mind teachers needing to do more (ie clean their class rooms because of staffing cuts). Everyone is going through this in the work place.. I'm a department manager myself, and over the past couple of months.. needed to do basic data entry tasks, just to keep my department from falling behind because of resource issues. The real issue is.. I know that the economy is turning a bit. I know this year will still be bad, as sale are projected to be down, but in 2011 we should start to see sales increases again.. and I will be able to get more resources.. My company can adjust expense cuts/resource increases every 3 months. School systems cannot be that flexible.. and sorry to say, most elected school board officials have no clue to running a company or balancing a budget.. And are always in reactive mode, not proactive mode. Example.. Mentor, Ohio's school system.. Because of enrollment drops, they now have grades 9 through 12 at the high school.. and I believe 6th grade at the Junior Highs.. Well with that type of adjustment.. they should already be down the path of closing one of the Junior Highs, and consolidating a 1/3 of the elementary schools.. But they won't.. The "powers that be" will wait to realize that their tax revenue income has dropped, expenses per child have shot through the roof, and the the school system is again in financial crisis, before doing anything.

Huge expectations from the government...but to be honest, anyone working in any position of substance in this economy, has huge pressures on them...they are just "not so public".

It's not like you can go to another company to work with more opportunity.. All public schools in the state are set up the same.. (not sure how a private school works).

I guess when you decide to become a teacher..this all should be part of the decision... maybe when deciding to become a teacher (many times when still in high school)..only the positives are considered.

-Miike

Huey said...

Well said as usual Mike. You are right. The economy is bad all around and education is not immune.

I'll restate my claim, "I don't want more money. Don't pay me more."

I would much rather prefer the help over a pay increase. What I take from your comments though is that you have helped in your son's class. And that the homework is rough. I wonder if we are expecting too much. I hate to say lower expectations, but maybe we should ask ourselves is this too much of a burden to put on them?

Also that news about Mentor is interesting. Is the student population decreasing because of general population decrease or charter schools taking students form the public school system?

comoprozac said...

There's some new research out there that refutes the class size argument. What researchers have found that really effects student achievement comes down to instruction, regardless of the class size.