Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving

I am well aware of the "meaning" of this holiday: the genocide of American Indians. With that said, it still provides an opportunity to give thanks and show appreciation for the important things in life. While we're at it, expressing gratefulness for the trivial things as well doesn't hurt.

I would like to share my Thanksgiving for this year.

I am very grateful for the birth of my second daughter. She brings added joy to my marriage as my wife and I nurture this child and raise her. After losing Mallory and experiencing the heartache that brought for us, this birth took on extra meaning. The miracle of life was not taken for granted.

I am pleased to watch my oldest grow into a role model and care for her little sister. She has handled this change in our household with relative ease. I'm so proud and impressed with her thus far.

I appreciate my wife. This is not an easy situation we are in with a prior marriage, a child and a house that is not her own. She has uprooted her life to become part of mine, the whole time wanting to start a shared life between the two of us. The patience she has been forced to exhibit would break many women. I am grateful for this and so much more.

I am immensely thankful for every day I have with my oldest daughter. I have been open about the fact that she has had a roller coaster of a life in regards to her development and health. She continues to maintain a happy, cheerful disposition despite it all. Meanwhile I worry every second of every day about every aspect of her struggles. I never know when I may lose her. I try to stop my tendency to think negatively and catastrophically when I do not need to but the fact is that this is the way my brain works. I have reason to think this way in her case. So I need to enjoy every minute I have with her.

I am thankful that I have a job, house, food and clothing.

I am thankful that I have a supportive family and my in-laws have welcomed me with open arms.

I am grateful I live in a country with the freedom that we have despite the abuses of these freedoms by numerous people.

My friends have stepped up when I have needed them and I cannot ignore them in a post regarding appreciation. It is easy to be a friend when things are good, but it takes genuine care and concern when things are bad. I say things and do things without thinking from time to time but they never cut off our friendships as a result. I thank them all for their patience.

I can't ignore the appreciation I have for the fact that I have so much to be appreciative of in general.

Finally, I am thankful for the following I have for this blog. There are over 2,100 hits this year alone with about half the posts of last year.

Thank you.

1 comment:

huey's mom said...

This is beautiful, Beau. I can't think of a better way to start my Thanksgiving celebration than reading your thoughts about gratitude. I am grateful for the gift your children - both of them - are in my life (and Vicki, too). And even more for the fantastic daddy that your girls have.

I've always said that you had the best role model in the world, but even he didn't have to do what you do, day in and day out. I know he's as proud of you as I am. We love you, and we are grateful for you, too.