Thursday, September 3, 2009

Traffic, Tressel and Recess

I thought I would post abbreviated versions of these three thoughts on facebook, but figured it would be too long and too much all at once:

Traffic Updates: Why is it every time I am stuck in traffic, listening to the radio, the traffic guy or woman comes on and doesn't mention the jam I am in? Then, when I DO hear about a traffic tie up as I drive through said intersection, I see nothing and there is absolutely no slowdown? Does this happen to others? Is it just me? It happens routinely.

Jim Tressel's Rivalry Behavior: The coach of our dreaded rival up north is experiencing multiple and major stresses up there right now. First, his Wolverines have been losing to substandard opponents (see Appalachian State, a Division I-AA school and Toledo, a MAC school). Secondly, he had to deal with a questionable departure from the University of West Virginia shredding important documents and a contract dispute that led him to be forced to pay back over 3 million dollars. Now he is linked to a bad real estate deal back in Virginia from the time he was an assistant at Clemson.

On top of this, current players are unanimously claiming that Rich Rodriquez is breaking NCAA rules regarding the amount of time he and his staff are requiring the players to practice. In my, and many others, opinion, this is a sign of locker room division and problems in the home so to speak. are players ready to revolt? Many have transferred, even to rival Ohio State.

When approached about these problems, Jim Tressel, coach of the Buckeyes, consistently takes the high road. Despite the bitter rivalry, he has gone so far as to defend Rich Rod by stating that players at this level need to practice more than the allotted time. Of course, he danced clear of any violation stating that this time is completely voluntary and not mandated by him or his coaching staff.

I love this about coach Tressel. Leave the low class, insults to the fans. That is our job. That is our game. We are the ones to talk the smack and trash to the rival fans. Our coach and players need to rise above that and demonstrate respect towards the rival. Just keep beating them down on the field and providing ammunition and statistics for us to cite as we debate our superiority over the other.

If you really think about it, we want that school up north to be violation free and successful. What makes the rivalry engaging and relevant is the prestige of the two schools and the meaning of the games. One reason they play last every year is to help emphasize its importance as they enter bowl season. Many times, championships are on the line for one or both of the programs.

When one school is performing as badly as Michigan or is on probation, it takes a substantial amount of air out of the bubble. The rivalry means much less. Tress knows this. He understands how critical it is that our "enemy" is a force to be reckoned with. He grasps how their success is for our own good. So he continually transcends the "hatred" passed back and forth among the legions of fans.

Obviously, many feel fans too should exert some effort towards showing class and respect. As I grow older I feel more inclined to do so as well. But it doesn't change my view that if trash shall be spoken, it shall be spoken by us.

Recess Football: Don't get me wrong. I love my girls this year. They are a cool group. But.....

The days I have recess duty, it is definitely a pleasure to get out and play some football with the boys. It gives me a chance to get to know the other kids in our grade level which helps me handle hallway behavior. For instance, calling to a child, "Hey! You! Stop that!" is much less effective than saying, "Marquise, come here. Don't do that man. You don't expect me to pass you the rock when you act like this, do you?"

Also, I need some manly activities during my day.

4 comments:

huey's mom said...

This may be my all-time favorite Huey blog!

SO true on the traffic reports - why IS that?

Proud of Tressel and would be even prouder if the fans followed his example.

Best of all - the report from school. It makes my day.

Proud of you, always.

Huey said...

THIS may be your all time?! I have taken so much pride in so mnay other posts, and THIS is top on your list? Must be better than I thought. I worried I mailed this one in.

Unknown said...

"But it doesn't change my view that if trash shall be spoken, it shall be spoken by us" What! That is like saying "If a group of people is going to be low-class, it's going to be us."

Huey said...

Exactly Doug. The low class behavior should be done by low class people. The fans.