Saturday, April 18, 2009

Here I Go....Again

The day is drawing near.

It is a matter of weeks before my second (or third depending on your point of view RIP Mallory Hoyt Huey) child is due.

I thought my experience would help. I figured it was like riding a bike. I am quickly finding out that is not the case for me.

Granted my wife and I are doing things a bit differently than my previous experience. We are attempting to use cloth diapers in an effort to do our part to be "green." We are using babysitters instead of daycare. We are shopping pediatricians much more thoroughly. The wife plans to breastfeed. The list goes on.

Despite these things, I feel like this is all new to me. It has been a number of years since my oldest was born but I thought my memory was stronger than this. Old age must be getting to me.

As I enter "The Baby Deaux Experience" I find myself thinking a number of things.

First, will my memory kick in after birth? Maybe this pregnancy isn't jogging my memory bank because I didn't do much until after the birth last time. Maybe seeing and feeling the post birth events will get my mind right.

Second, how will this affect my relationship with the oldest? I have a very close relationship with my oldest. We have been through a good bit together. With another little person in my life, does my emotional connection split or double? I'm an actually excited to experience this.

Third, how are we going to afford all of this? I look at the things we need to buy and I remember all the stuff I had to buy last time and I almost faint at the thought of the money it will cost.

Finally, have I learned from the mistakes I made the first time around? I prefer thinking I have no regrets in my life. The mistakes I made make me who I am today and got me here. But when it comes to the well being of another person, like my child, I want to avoid things I have done wrong. Fortunately, my wife is good at keeping me in check. Hopefully she will continue to do so.

Oh yeah...one more thing. How am I going to sleep with two kids to care for and entertain?

I'll get back to you on these answers.

2 comments:

comoprozac said...

Have you looked into G Diapers? They're hybrid of disposable and cloth w/out the mess. If you don't have a diaper service, I'd highly recommend them.

Huey said...

I don't think we have. I need to check with V to see if the stuff we are getting is considered "G Diapers."

We are doing this thing where there is a liner on the outside. It's pretty complicated.